HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - White tail hunting in Maine
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 07:15 AM
mainehunt

Default RE: White tail hunting in Maine

I live here in central Maine, nice very small rural town down the road a couple miles where 200-300 deer are tagged each year. There are usually only 2 or 3 bucks that will top 200 pounds out of about 300. I would like to know where all those 200 pound 4 pointers are. My buddies and I shoot deer every year, 4 and 6 pointers weigh about 160 on the hoof, and this is a farming community where the deer get all the corn they want. I think all those 200 lb plus deer are more myth than truth. Granted, there are some that get shot each year and make the newspapers and magazines, but we're talking about a very small percentage here guys. From 1984 and before that, I lived in OHIO, I saw MANY more 200 pounders down there.

Grass is always greener...........

Edited to add- if you want the best shot at a 200 pund plus deer, you want to hunt in Aroostook County, known around here as "The County" because it is about one third of the whole state. Problem is, that there aren't that many deer up there, but they are considerably bigger if you do find one.
Around here, there are a lot of deer, but almost all of the land is posted. If you aren't related or a close friend, don't waste your time asking for permission. POSTED