HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - White tail hunting in Maine
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 12:30 PM
liquidorange
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: White tail hunting in Maine

i deer hunted there once and my take on it is that its tough going compared to hunting new jersey. from what ive read your best chances are the central and southeren parts of the state. theres more farms and such i guess. i hunted the north and west part of the state which is a different game. the good thing is that you can get a weeks hunt semi guided for something like 450$ and up with meals (sometimes) and lodging. success is low and the weather is harsh. you really have to open to the idea of tracking the deer. the deer arent everywhere like home. my first couple days i couldnt figure out why the guides got so excited to see a couple tracks. they seem to yard up or travel to feeding areas and bounce around alot. i went during thanksgiving week and i hunted in 15 degree weather and several inches of snow. some say you cant distinguish the difference between buck and doe tracks but up in maine a 4 point buck can be over 200 lbs. it seems if you do see one it will be a monster at least in body. i would say if your not hunting the farm country of maine get a guide and see if he will track for you or at least show you the ropes.