Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crimson Talons " legal"  in PA now. >

Crimson Talons " legal" in PA now.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crimson Talons " legal" in PA now.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:02 PM

Default Crimson Talons " legal" in PA now.

As of today on the PA web site http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/press/200...r/nr095-03.asp Crimson Talons are legal to hunt with. I don' t use them and don' t plan on it, but I know some people seemed to have purchased them and were kind of sweating it.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Crimson Talons " legal" in PA now.

I think the ones ' Sweating" were the PGC..........putting the cart before the horse was causing them to possibly be staring at one hell of a law suit.[]
Old 10-09-2003, 05:41 AM

CT' s don' t meet the definition. I know guys on the committe that came up with the definition. It' s doesn' t meet it.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:21 AM

They do now. The press release said they tested it and on impact the blades straighten out allowing them to meet the defiinition of the cutting edge being in one plane.

Sounds kinda fishy to me, it would be interesting to see the actual tests
Old 10-09-2003, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

For what it' s worth, those blades can' t straighten out perfectly when hitting a deer....especially if it hits bone. That wavy blade would have to be a little bit stiffer than aluminum foil to actually flatten to a straight edge upon impact. I think the PGC met with CT and CT did a demonstration....the PGC then decided that in fact the heads do fly true and are no lacking in penetration....and decided that since the law was written before CT' s were retailed that they would allow them. I can' t figure out why they didn' t just change the law though....maybe because of the time frame. Maybe a bunch of hunters called in and complained that they bought these expensive heads and now can' t use them....although that law has been on the books for a year or more. Don' t really know, all speculation.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:20 AM

If you have ever tried to pull them out of target backwords instead of pushing them thru, you will see how easily the blades flex. Also if you look at the intial cut as they go into the target you will see a standard triangle pattern like any other fix bladed head. If they didn' t straighten on inpact you would get more of a circle pattern and I bet poor penitration. These are sharp and cut like a hot knife on butter. Real good results have been coming from the southern wild boar hunter.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve use mine only in practice. Under those conditions they fly/penetrate just like my Muzzy 4 blades. I' m curious how they perform when it comes to real hunting situations though.