Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

chiggers

Old 09-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default chiggers

has anyone been haveing a problem with these lil bugs like i am??? everytime i am out in the woodsi am coming out loaded.. what is the best way to keep them lil critters off???any info on these guys would be aprecited
Old 09-26-2003, 06:05 AM

Default RE: chiggers

The only way I can think to get them off is to set yourself on fire. We have them here too. I dont think they' re chiggers you' re talking about though because chiggers crawl down inside your pores and get all red and itchy.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:17 AM

God, I HATE chiggers!
I wish I knew how to repel them or get rid of them. The problem is, that by the time you notice them it' s already too late because hordes of them already probably got in your skin. I got them a month and a half ago while I was scoping land around my friend' s new house and itched myself raw for the next two weeks.
I did hear that it helps if you douse yourself in gasoline
Old 09-26-2003, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

DJ,

Can you see the things you call chiggers? I have been getting the larvae ticks on my by the hundreds!! They look like little specks of sand. I have not got any on my skin but I have been treating my pants, long sleeve shirt and boots with Permenan. I treat them a while before I go out and let it dry on your clothes. I was out yesterday and my first few steps in the woods I have patches of them on me and as I watched them the started to disperse and then they just fell off and I presumed died. I hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

from the looks of them i am almost posotive they are chiggers... from asking around that is the consensus around here. i am out lookin for premeran repellant also.. i get them and i see them crawling and stuck to me also. but they are to small to see everyone of them well looks like i will be dealing with them since i seen this nice buck in a field and to get to my tree i have to get through some high grass
Old 09-28-2003, 09:14 AM

They are deer or lone star tick larvae. They are in nest pods and like shedhead said get on you in little patches of hundreds at a time.

Permenone or other sprays with permethrin are the ONLY way to keep them off of you. This stuff will kill them dead

Good luck with them little buggers
Old 09-28-2003, 09:48 AM

this is not star trek chiggers bite..they do not get under your skin and all of the other stories that you hear. i heard a guy talking about them once and i went on the net and looked them up. to funny
Old 09-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

the only way to get rid of and cut down on chigger bites is to be religious in your clean up. use a good bug spray and rubber boots when possible. bring a change of cloths and change immediately when you get out of the woods and to your vehicle. put the cloths and boots in a plastic bag because they can get in you vehicle. when you get home take a bath or shower right away! use a scrub brush and pay attention to wrists and ankles because they target the thinest skin parts of the body. put all your cloths in the wash right away also . if you do get some bites i like to use a stinky muscle rub on the bites because it burns the itch out. the good news is that they dont bore into your skin like most people think. the bite mark is just the after effect and the critter is usually long gone or washed away. once it gets below 60 degrees they start going away in the woods so hang in there.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

DJBAD,

I get 2-3 bad cases every year only because I forget to spray or don' t spray enough before walkin in woods.

I wear shorts all summer and if I remember to spray around ankles,socks,and belt line I never have problem.

I' m just getting rid of a bad case around my left ankle. I didn' t spray enough deep woods and must have stepped into nest of them with left foot.