Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Chiggers - ACK

Old 08-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Chiggers - ACK

Set stands Friday afternoon, after showering friday night, found 4 chiggers crawling on My right ankle.
I then washed my legs with rubbing alcohol, and washed them real good.

Sat afternoon a few bumps showed up, sunday morning 20-30 on each leg.

I thought I got them before they got Me ?

I have been told that by the time the itching starts they are long gone, I have also been told that they are under Your skin.
Which is true ?
How do You all prevent em.

Thanks,
Slack
Old 08-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Chiggers - ACK

Rhino skin works great, it is a base layer that fits tight to your skin.

Get it at Cabela's
Old 08-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with ghemry

Although I don't own the suit myself , not yet but I'm gonna get it.
What I do before I head out in the wood is before I put my hunting clothes on , I'll spray down with a good bug repellent like Ben's Bug Off you can get that at Cabela's too, comes in a small orange spray pump bottle for less than $5.00 and then when I get dressed I'll use some rubber bands over my pant legsaround my ankles to keep a tight fit then put my boots on.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Ive always heard that they get under your skin. That could have just been daddy scaring me as a kid though.In any case, they suck!
Old 08-27-2006, 03:51 PM

LOL those dang chiggers just bit you feed alittle bit and then drop off,,,,the chemical they produce while feeding on you is what cause's the bump and insane itching[:'(]the only thing I hate more are ticks[:@]
Old 08-27-2006, 04:56 PM

Chiggers? The only thing I have heard about chiggers is that if you hold them close to the camp fire, they pop.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

FEAR NOT! its all about being religious in your clean up routine. always wear rubber knee high boots. treat your cloths(never your skin) with permanone bug spray the night before to allow time to dry AND SOAK INTO THE FABRIC. i always spray deet bug spray(deep woods off or similar) on any exposed skin. when you get back to your vehicle throw your cloths in a plastic garbage bag and put on a fresh set of cloths. when you get home use lots of soap and a good scrub brush paying attention to your ankles,wrist, and waiste band. they love thin skin. if you follow this routine you should be good to go. in new jersey we have them till mid october. GOOD SCRATCHIN!
Old 08-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think chiggers are too small to see. What you may have seen was small seed ticks. They are about the size of the period in this sentence and they can get under your skin. I had about fifty on me last week.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Chiggers do not burrow into the skin, they pierce the skin and inject a salivary secretion containing a digestive enzyme some what like a fly. This enzyme causes the area around the injection site to become hard forming a feeding straw used to suck out the parially digested skin cells. After being fully fed, about four days the chigger drops off. Once the red bump develops and the itching starts their is nothing you can do but run the course. OFF and Repel (Detamide) make a spray that can be helpful. I know "EXACTLY" how you feel.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:47 PM

Good ole chiggers.[:@]

I just got over some of them myself. I'm pretty sure they were chiggers. I could actually see them attached to the skin. Tweezers usually do the trick for removing them. Nothing else you can really do after they have bitten you. Gotta love how they like to bite under skin tight clothing.

I've put clear finger nail polish on the bumps and that seems to help.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Chiggers - ACK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.