Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
No NY SZ bow season opening day thread yet? >

No NY SZ bow season opening day thread yet?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

No NY SZ bow season opening day thread yet?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Spike

Heard the weather and wind alerts this morning...So we decided to skip opening morning sit...Wind was blowing out into open field, which has been seeing deer at all times of the night,evening and morning hours...Didn't want to get busted walking in...Spent mid morning setting up a second ground blind in the north west corner of the property so we can face into the wind this evening... We have another ground blind in the north east corner and a stand set on the south side...

We have many trail cam pics of does. Only a few smaller bucks(spikes mostly)...Then this morning we had a small rack 6 show up for the camera at about 715am or so...Hope he shows up this afternoon!!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

where are all the pics!?
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

havent seen nothing wind rain sucks
Old 10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sat 2 days in my best stand but havent seen 1 deer or even much sign. weather was good though.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

shot wierd racked 5point opening am in Columbia County...
Old 10-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Hunted opening morning here in Western NY and it was like hunting in a Typhoon. Wind was 35-45mph, raining sideways, cold and pure ugly. No way was it safe to get into or climb into a tree stand. But my son Tony got LUCKY. He's what he said.

"I just got in my spot and because of the strong wind I just sat on the ground. It was about 7:30am and I started to grunting softly on our grunt call. I grunted no more than 10 times and he just appeared out of no where. Like on a TV show but this wasn't no TV setup. He's looking right at me and I didn't move. He's throwing his nose up trying to smell the deer he just heard but our cover scent worked perfectly. Never smelled me".

Tony went on to say "He walked about 5 steps behind some brush and I drew back. If he steps out I've got a good window to my left. My arm almost started shaking because just sitting on flat ground and waiting for him to step out is not easy to do. He finally steps out and I released my stick...I heard the THUD sound but couldn't see where I hit him. But I knew I hit'em. He didn't run, he just trotted about 15 steps, stopped and was looking around and DOWN HE WENT. He was dead before he hit the ground. Got him on a angle shot, arrow going threw the ribs and angling up towards his heart. I hit him at 25 yards. What a rush".

Last edited by ctwny1; 10-17-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ctwny1
Hunted opening morning here in Western NY and it was like hunting in a Typhoon. Wind was 35-45mph, raining sideways, cold and pure ugly. No way was it safe to get into or climb into a tree stand. But my son Tony got LUCKY. He's what he said.

"I just got in my spot and because of the strong wind I just sat on the ground. It was about 7:30am and I started to grunting softly on our grunt call. I grunted no more than 10 times and he just appeared out of no where. Like on a TV show but this wasn't no TV setup. He's looking right at me and I didn't move. He's throwing his nose up trying to smell the deer he just heard but our cover scent worked perfectly. Never smelled me".

Tony went on to say "He walked about 5 steps behind some brush and I drew back. If he steps out I've got a good window to my left. My arm almost started shaking because just sitting on flat ground and waiting for him to step out is not easy to do. He finally steps out and I released my stick...I heard the THUD sound but couldn't see where I hit him. But I knew I hit'em. He didn't run, he just trotted about 15 steps, stopped and was looking around and DOWN HE WENT. He was dead before he hit the ground. Got him on a angle shot, arrow going threw the ribs and angling up towards his heart. I hit him at 25 yards. What a rush".

wow thats an awesome story, bow hunting from the ground is not easy!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Hunted both Saturday in the monsoon and Sunday. Saturday morning here in Afton was beautiful wasn't cloudy at all and just a light breeze. Hunted over my kill plot i made in August. been getting great pictures on in from the trail cam i have set up on it. Behind me is a creek bottom that is absolutely loaded with apples trees. The creek bottom separates me from the 1 1/2 acre plot. went all morning without seeing anything. Was able to sit all day. Around 425 I look behind me in the creek bottom and i see just a flicked of white and my heart begins to race. there is a doe who seems to just appear out of no where. by this point the rain is coming down sideways and i wouldn't be able to hear a stick of dynamite going off in my stand. So after watching her for 2 or 3 minutes she beds down facing away from me. 10 minutes later she gets up and turns and beds down facing me. another 20 or so minutes goes by and she gets up moves about 10 feet then beds down again! this whole encounter went on for an hour and a half before she finally got up and walked away from me towards the big plot. the rest of my evening was uneventful.
Sunday morning i woke up to clear skies and nice weather. Fairly warm as well. got into my stand around 615, left myself a half hour for the woods to quiet down before daylight broke. At 715 out of the corner of my eye i see a dark figure moving...i look up and all i see is rack. He is moving from my back left across the top of my long food plot. At this point he is roughly 40 yards and i could see him well enough to tell that he is a big 6 point. never seen him before and isn't on any of the cameras. he is walking very slowly through the thick brush to my left and walks through my lane without me being able to get a shot. i was hoping he would get to the old logging road 23 yards from me and cut down to the bedding areas. instead he keep walking parallel to me out of site. i tried grunting at him in the hopes i would get lucky and he'd turn but he never did. Never the less is was an amazing weekend. and between school and work it was an awesome break doing what i love most. Ill be going up to the Afton area again friday and will also be hunting a piece of property in wells bridge, in the Unadilla area. Cant Wait!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Spike

Okay I've been busy with school the last few days, but here's my opening weekend story.

Drove from Long Island to Stamford in Delewar county late friday night, because my dad got out of work late. Didn't make it to the property until 11 pm. It's my dad, his friend (the land owner), and I hunting. We get in the woods are 6:30, I see nothing in the morning, nor does my dad's friend. My dad passed up on 6 pointer. (Our rule is 8 or more points, or spread bigger than it's ears). He was walking to his quad, when a coyote strolled through, but he couldn't get his release in time, and missed a 10 yard opportunity. The wind was horrible throughout Saturday, and it was like I was in a washing machine on spin cycle. We go in for lunch, and we shot our bows for little. About 3:30, I'm on the back deck of the house shooting my bb gun at a target when a pheasant strolled in on the hill behind the house. I run and grab my bow, and it was the first kill of the weekend, and my first pheasant. That night only my dad saw deer (4 does), and he took the first doe. We had to leave after sunday morning hunt, we saw nothing again. Our friend stayed until Tuesday, and bagged a nice doe and another pheasant. He also saw a big 350-400 lb bear on the trail cam near my stand. Hopefully this weekend is a little more productive.

Last edited by Joe Teh Archer; 10-19-2011 at 09:28 PM.