HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No NY SZ bow season opening day thread yet?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM
snedd162
Fork Horn

Hunted both Saturday in the monsoon and Sunday. Saturday morning here in Afton was beautiful wasn't cloudy at all and just a light breeze. Hunted over my kill plot i made in August. been getting great pictures on in from the trail cam i have set up on it. Behind me is a creek bottom that is absolutely loaded with apples trees. The creek bottom separates me from the 1 1/2 acre plot. went all morning without seeing anything. Was able to sit all day. Around 425 I look behind me in the creek bottom and i see just a flicked of white and my heart begins to race. there is a doe who seems to just appear out of no where. by this point the rain is coming down sideways and i wouldn't be able to hear a stick of dynamite going off in my stand. So after watching her for 2 or 3 minutes she beds down facing away from me. 10 minutes later she gets up and turns and beds down facing me. another 20 or so minutes goes by and she gets up moves about 10 feet then beds down again! this whole encounter went on for an hour and a half before she finally got up and walked away from me towards the big plot. the rest of my evening was uneventful.
Sunday morning i woke up to clear skies and nice weather. Fairly warm as well. got into my stand around 615, left myself a half hour for the woods to quiet down before daylight broke. At 715 out of the corner of my eye i see a dark figure moving...i look up and all i see is rack. He is moving from my back left across the top of my long food plot. At this point he is roughly 40 yards and i could see him well enough to tell that he is a big 6 point. never seen him before and isn't on any of the cameras. he is walking very slowly through the thick brush to my left and walks through my lane without me being able to get a shot. i was hoping he would get to the old logging road 23 yards from me and cut down to the bedding areas. instead he keep walking parallel to me out of site. i tried grunting at him in the hopes i would get lucky and he'd turn but he never did. Never the less is was an amazing weekend. and between school and work it was an awesome break doing what i love most. Ill be going up to the Afton area again friday and will also be hunting a piece of property in wells bridge, in the Unadilla area. Cant Wait!