HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No NY SZ bow season opening day thread yet?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:37 AM
ctwny1
Fork Horn

Hunted opening morning here in Western NY and it was like hunting in a Typhoon. Wind was 35-45mph, raining sideways, cold and pure ugly. No way was it safe to get into or climb into a tree stand. But my son Tony got LUCKY. He's what he said.

"I just got in my spot and because of the strong wind I just sat on the ground. It was about 7:30am and I started to grunting softly on our grunt call. I grunted no more than 10 times and he just appeared out of no where. Like on a TV show but this wasn't no TV setup. He's looking right at me and I didn't move. He's throwing his nose up trying to smell the deer he just heard but our cover scent worked perfectly. Never smelled me".

Tony went on to say "He walked about 5 steps behind some brush and I drew back. If he steps out I've got a good window to my left. My arm almost started shaking because just sitting on flat ground and waiting for him to step out is not easy to do. He finally steps out and I released my stick...I heard the THUD sound but couldn't see where I hit him. But I knew I hit'em. He didn't run, he just trotted about 15 steps, stopped and was looking around and DOWN HE WENT. He was dead before he hit the ground. Got him on a angle shot, arrow going threw the ribs and angling up towards his heart. I hit him at 25 yards. What a rush".

Last edited by ctwny1; 10-17-2011 at 08:39 AM.