Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
No saturday deer opener in pa. >

No saturday deer opener in pa.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

No saturday deer opener in pa.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Mentored youth cannot shoot does. If you tell them no doe and no bucks under 3X, they're not going to have too much success. I don't know about you guys, but I want my son to have some success.
I want my son to have success too when I eventually take him out, but I also want to teach him that it's not about the harvest, its about the time in the woods, the peace, being away from the crap in the every day world.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jicand
I want my son to have success too when I eventually take him out, but I also want to teach him that it's not about the harvest, its about the time in the woods, the peace, being away from the crap in the every day world.
To each their own. I was taught hunting was meant to put food on the table.People say times have changed and food is available everywhere.I agree there is but it isn't the healthest lifestyle choice best suited for me, nor do I want my kids to reley on it as well. When I take my kids out its work. Its teaching safety, identification strategy and alot of teaching and plain hardwork.There is alot of crap that has to be dealt with in the bush, maybe more so than in the real world and I want them prepared for anything. In order to do this and
keep their interest I want them to taste success as well.Time in the woods is for preparation for a safe and successful outting.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Especially to the big farmers. We have a farmer that shoots deer out of his fields (Even fields he leases, not owns) all year long. I found two 8 points, a 7 and a 6 point early in the fall one year. Plus several doe. All the bucks were still in velvet and within 100 yards of the field edge. That tells me he's gut shooting them, they're running down into the woods and dying.
Sounds like we have a bigger problem with farmers than mentored youth.

And he'll get plenty of that. But kids need to have some level of success to keep their interest. It's just that simple.

When you take your kid fishing for the first time, will you take him to catch sunnies? Since it's not about the harvest, I say no. Take him out musky fishing. Tell him that fishing all day without a strike is all about peace and quiet and being with nature.

Plenty of time for peace and quiet in the woods while still getting a deer once in a while.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

And he'll get plenty of that. But kids need to have some level of success to keep their interest. It's just that simple.

When you take your kid fishing for the first time, will you take him to catch sunnies? Since it's not about the harvest, I say no. Take him out musky fishing. Tell him that fishing all day without a strike is all about peace and quiet and being with nature.

Plenty of time for peace and quiet in the woods while still getting a deer once in a while.
Fishing is different, its more about what he can handle than anything. If it was just about being out there I'd take him bass fishing, but I know he can't handle a bass yet. Hunting, yes I want him to be successful, but not to shoot the first deer he sees, I try to instill a sense of pride in what he does and how to make the right choice. I love the hunting experience, but never shot a deer as a kid. I was hooked from watching my grandfather shoot a deer with a muzzleloader. In fact the only reason I ever stopped hunting is because I lost my hunting land and partner when he died.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting, yes I want him to be successful, but not to shoot the first deer he sees,
Mentored youth cannot shoot doe. Plus, I have him out all archery season. Between all the deer that are out of archery range and all the doe, he passes on plenty of deer. We spent every Saturday in October and two Saturdays in November before he got his spike in 2009. In 2010, we spent every Saturday of the entire deer season out and got nothing.

That's about 18-20 days of hunting and one deer. Trust me, he's got the peace and quiet experience, the passing up deer experience and the experience of spending countless hours in the field with nothing on the pole.

You can teach him all about that and still give him reasonable odds for success.

Kids have shorter attention spans. Success helps.

I wasn't allowed to hunt until I was 12. My kid doesn't have to wait. That's a good thing in my book.

Lot's of guys are bitter over the whole mentored youth thing. I don't get it. Try looking for the good in situations once in a while.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Forgot to mention, I'm archery only, much as i love hunting, my feet get cold quick and no boot/wool sock/chemical warmer keeps them warm. So I don't go rifle hunting.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think anyone is bitter over the youth hunting. Getting kids out there is great. It's the ppl that are abusing it that cause the problem. And there are a lot of them. There's going to be poaching going on no matter what laws they make. But, having kids be able to put a tag on whatever helps ppl that want to shoot more than allowed and helps party hunters. It also helps ppl that want to spend time with their kids in the woods. Gotta weigh the rewards I guess.
-Jake
Old 03-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mentored youth cannot shoot doe. Plus, I have him out all archery season. Between all the deer that are out of archery range and all the doe, he passes on plenty of deer. We spent every Saturday in October and two Saturdays in November before he got his spike in 2009. In 2010, we spent every Saturday of the entire deer season out and got nothing.

That's about 18-20 days of hunting and one deer. Trust me, he's got the peace and quiet experience, the passing up deer experience and the experience of spending countless hours in the field with nothing on the pole.

You can teach him all about that and still give him reasonable odds for success.

Kids have shorter attention spans. Success helps.

I wasn't allowed to hunt until I was 12. My kid doesn't have to wait. That's a good thing in my book.

Lot's of guys are bitter over the whole mentored youth thing. I don't get it. Try looking for the good in situations once in a while.
Your right kids do have short attention spans.
Minds wonder.. Success helps this immensely.
Serious Accidents happen when your bored and your mind isn't
on the job at hand.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 03-11-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JW!
The solution is to turn those people into your DNR if you suspect foul play.

Mentoring is the last phase of hunting and some of us never get there, to share, to teach, to put forward the tradition taught to us.

JW
JW, too hard to catch.we did catch 1 dad doing it but the hunter that saw it DID NOT WANT TO HAVE HIM ARRESTED .HE LEFT BUCK GO TO THE DAD ALSO.

YOU FIGURE.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I don't think anyone is bitter over the youth hunting. Getting kids out there is great. It's the ppl that are abusing it that cause the problem. And there are a lot of them. There's going to be poaching going on no matter what laws they make. But, having kids be able to put a tag on whatever helps ppl that want to shoot more than allowed and helps party hunters. It also helps ppl that want to spend time with their kids in the woods. Gotta weigh the rewards I guess.
-Jake
very good comments.ITS NOT KID HUNTING THAT WE ARE VERY MAD OVER ITS WHAT THE KIDS ARE LEARNING.will they grow up and do same as MOST of the dads taught them.its ok to outlaw?
trust me,KIDS ARE NOT IN WOODS. ONES I SEE ARE SITTING IN TRUCK with radio turned on.that is very few. yes maybe 1 or 2 are sitting with dad if they are on privateland but i see NO ONE DOING IT ON PUBLICLAND.
but mostly they are not even around.
most mothers are not letting their 5yr to 12 yr old kid out in woods.
I KNOW THAT FOR FACT.no way its happening in gun season.

yet the butcher shop has over 50% spike bucks shot by mentoured youth, 50% spikes yet kids dont know where they got buck or what gun they used.
1 young 8 yr old girl said at butcher shop,MY DAD TOLD ME TO TELL YOU i USED A WEE-O-08 .
i know slobs that are doing this ,i know they are doing it.35 degrees with sneakers on,dont get me started on that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.