Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
No saturday deer opener in pa. >

No saturday deer opener in pa.

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

No saturday deer opener in pa.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

So rather then set seasons for the hunters, it should be set to best benifit the convenient stores??
Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
So rather then set seasons for the hunters, it should be set to best benifit the convenient stores??
yes,it should .if they close we have no hunting/fishing items. no place to eat.also a lot of camps are against saturday opener also.most of LOCALS are for it that hunt.

hey i am not against hunting saturday but you get 2 saturdays NOW to hunt deer here in pa.
we like opener on monday as the excitement of weekend before is real nice.
problem is with saturday opener most come up on friday night,NO SHOPPING etc.then some go home saturday night or may not stay in camp.
its like fishing, they stay at camp on friday night and fish saturday and leave saturday night or sunday morning.
no shopping by fisherman.
it is just that stores relied on business they got over the bear weekend and now they are not getting it and they blame SATURDAY OPENER of bear on it.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do like the Monday opener for buck. Guys come up Saturday and we party Saturday night. Sunday we sleep in, have a big breakfast and go to bed early on Sunday.

The bear Saturday helped me out, though. I never had the time to take off both buck and bear so I hadn't been bear hunting in about 10 years.

Tough about the local businesses, though. We head up to our cabin year 'round so we support the local stores and restaurants a couple weekends a month, regardless of the season.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I do like the Monday opener for buck. Guys come up Saturday and we party Saturday night. Sunday we sleep in, have a big breakfast and go to bed early on Sunday.

The bear Saturday helped me out, though. I never had the time to take off both buck and bear so I hadn't been bear hunting in about 10 years.

Tough about the local businesses, though. We head up to our cabin year 'round so we support the local stores and restaurants a couple weekends a month, regardless of the season.

i am not against saturday opener but i am local guy.i am not at camp like you .but i do go around to camps and have fun talking and seeing old friends on that SATURDAY.we sight guns in, have few beers,go to town .then sleep in like you say on sunday.

camps like it the WAY IT IS NOW.they hate bear saturday thing also.,
Old 03-09-2011, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Truth be told, I miss the whole way it use to be and that way of life went away long before Saturday bear. Long before AR and HR.

Back in the 1970s and into the 1980s, deer camp was a way of life. Guys went up for the week. It didn't matter what was going on in life, they went. Where our old camp was, the whole road was lined with deer camps.

For us, a few things happened. The farmer who let us hunt his land died. The farmer up the street bought it and posted it. Some guys gave up. The rest hunted SGL. Then guys got older, some died, others lost interest.

I think the whole phenomenon of bowhunting the suburbs killed camp as well. Talk to 9 out of 10 fellow hunters now-a-days and they'll say, "why would I drive all the way to camp when I can hunt down here?". And guys that do still go to camp won't if they tag out in special regs in archery.

The new generation isn't tied to the hunting camp tradition like the older guys. I grew up with it. My dad took me up since I was a little kid. I looked up to all those guys and loved every minute in camp.

We haven't gone to the old cabin since about 1984. But I can close my eyes right now and hear the front door squeak, smell that musty smell when you first open the place up - before it was filled with the smell of wood smoke.

I think the whole hunting camp tradition is dying. It's a sign of the times.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Truth be told, I miss the whole way it use to be and that way of life went away long before Saturday bear. Long before AR and HR.

Back in the 1970s and into the 1980s, deer camp was a way of life. Guys went up for the week. It didn't matter what was going on in life, they went. Where our old camp was, the whole road was lined with deer camps.

For us, a few things happened. The farmer who let us hunt his land died. The farmer up the street bought it and posted it. Some guys gave up. The rest hunted SGL. Then guys got older, some died, others lost interest.

I think the whole phenomenon of bowhunting the suburbs killed camp as well. Talk to 9 out of 10 fellow hunters now-a-days and they'll say, "why would I drive all the way to camp when I can hunt down here?". And guys that do still go to camp won't if they tag out in special regs in archery.

The new generation isn't tied to the hunting camp tradition like the older guys. I grew up with it. My dad took me up since I was a little kid. I looked up to all those guys and loved every minute in camp.

We haven't gone to the old cabin since about 1984. But I can close my eyes right now and hear the front door squeak, smell that musty smell when you first open the place up - before it was filled with the smell of wood smoke.

I think the whole hunting camp tradition is dying. It's a sign of the times.
back then it was 1 bear per crew in pa. now they let you shoot cubs.DISGUSTING is all i can say.
on top of that now your camp is taxed as seasonal home.
a 600 sq ft camp with 1 acre is assessed at 36,000 dollars.
a year ago you paid a flat rate of 25 dollars.1 acre of land is assessed at 16,000,you believe that.hillside land.

so camps are up for sale now and only RICH are buying them and first thing that goes up is POSTED SIGNS.
we are losing a lot.hunters killing cubs and mother too,adults shooting the deer for 5 yr old girls in pink,crews driving deer and not going by the 3 point rule as long as a kid is along and shooting at any buck,kids at sporting goods store saying to dads,THIS IS STUPID,I AINT GOING HUNTING ANYHOW,dad says,JUST SIGN IT,KIDS SITTING IN TRUCK WHILE DAD HUNTS TURKEYS, CALLS ON RADIO TO COME AND GET HIS TURKEY,THEN SHOOT ANOTHER ONE.

yes things are changing ,for sure.

Last edited by sproulman; 03-09-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, a lot of the hunting tradition is dying because there's no more recruitment. Most kids today don't want to hunt. It's too boring for them. It's been happening for a while.

Maybe my kid would have said the same thing to me if he waited until he was 12. By the time he would have been 12 he'd probably be so into hanging out with his friends and texting that he wouldn't want to go to camp.

Got to start this generation young or they will never hunt. I think people losing interest in hunting will do more to kill the sport than the mentored youth program ever will.

And the parents you talk about will eventually drop out of hunting because they don't enjoy it for the sake of hunting. They just want something out of it.

I wasn't talking about bear camp when I was mentioning the old camp. Actually, none of those guys ever went bear hunting. Just the first week of buck, the weekends and 3 days of doe. 1 or 2 guys went for bear every now and then but nobody ever got one.

Our hunting camp now is the family cabin. Not a club. The family's weekend get-away. I invite the hunting buddies up for buck week so we call it a club. But nobody pays dues. They just show up for a work weekend and contribute food and drink.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, a lot of the hunting tradition is dying because there's no more recruitment. Most kids today don't want to hunt. It's too boring for them. It's been happening for a while.

Maybe my kid would have said the same thing to me if he waited until he was 12. By the time he would have been 12 he'd probably be so into hanging out with his friends and texting that he wouldn't want to go to camp.

Got to start this generation young or they will never hunt. I think people losing interest in hunting will do more to kill the sport than the mentored youth program ever will.

And the parents you talk about will eventually drop out of hunting because they don't enjoy it for the sake of hunting. They just want something out of it.

I wasn't talking about bear camp when I was mentioning the old camp. Actually, none of those guys ever went bear hunting. Just the first week of buck, the weekends and 3 days of doe. 1 or 2 guys went for bear every now and then but nobody ever got one.

Our hunting camp now is the family cabin. Not a club. The family's weekend get-away. I invite the hunting buddies up for buck week so we call it a club. But nobody pays dues. They just show up for a work weekend and contribute food and drink.
my dad had us in woods at 10 yrs old.i still feel anything younger than 12 to hunt is unsafe.does kid have to kill at deer at age 5 to want to hunt?cant they tagging along with dad as we did be enough?
dad taught us hunting at 10,we watched safety on using gun.no need to kill deer to go, it was fun LEARNING to hunt and watching dad.
if i SAW a kid sitting with dad like mentoured thing WAS to be, i would be first to say,ITS GREAT.

BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING.only time most of kids saw buck was when the dad got home and took pic of buck WITH NO TAG.dads should do better job of at least telling kids what caliber daddy used so they can learn to fib at butcher shops.

here is suggestion. let 5 yr olds kill the bucks but LET DADDY MUST PUT HIS TAG ON IT.OH BOY ,I CAN HEAR MOANING NOW.

no extra free buck doing it my way.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's to stop daddy from shooting two bucks and putting wife's tag on it?

You have a pretty negative view on the whole mentored youth hunting thing. I have seen nothing that you have and have the opposite experience. It's great for everyone I know who have kids under 12.

I have proof here of my boy actually hunting. No pink shoes. And the mentored youth do have to buy a license and tag their bucks.
Attached Thumbnails No saturday deer opener in pa.-danny-squirrel-hunt-3.jpg   No saturday deer opener in pa.-danny-spike-small.jpg   No saturday deer opener in pa.-danny-tree-stand-small.jpg   No saturday deer opener in pa.-danny-hunting.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's to stop daddy from shooting two bucks and putting wife's tag on it?

You have a pretty negative view on the whole mentored youth hunting thing. I have seen nothing that you have and have the opposite experience. It's great for everyone I know who have kids under 12.

I have proof here of my boy actually hunting. No pink shoes. And the mentored youth do have to buy a license and tag their bucks.
i did not know mentoured youth had to buy a license.my understanding the buck did not need a tag?nothing to stop that also with wife.

yes i do have negative when kid is not shooting his or hers buck.your son is,MANY are not.
here is thing too.dad does not have to look for 3 points.with wives tag he has to shoot a 3 point to side buck.

so he is getting his MEAT and using kid thing to do it.
this will be my last post as i dont want to start a bad mouthing of sproul or kids.
i just hate what i see is happening and what butcher shops are telling me.
by the way, i wish i saw pics of kids in my area doing what you are with yours.
i know of only 2 that i saw out with their dads ,2 last year yet 50% or more were at butcher shop and did not know what gun they even used.
the pink in sneakers was 5 yr old girl that shot the 12 point.it was in paper.
i will let you think on that one.

take care sproul

Last edited by sproulman; 03-09-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.