HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No saturday deer opener in pa.
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 AM
BarnesX.308
Nontypical Buck

Especially to the big farmers. We have a farmer that shoots deer out of his fields (Even fields he leases, not owns) all year long. I found two 8 points, a 7 and a 6 point early in the fall one year. Plus several doe. All the bucks were still in velvet and within 100 yards of the field edge. That tells me he's gut shooting them, they're running down into the woods and dying.
Sounds like we have a bigger problem with farmers than mentored youth.

I want my son to have success too when I eventually take him out, but I also want to teach him that it's not about the harvest, its about the time in the woods, the peace, being away from the crap in the every day world.
And he'll get plenty of that. But kids need to have some level of success to keep their interest. It's just that simple.

When you take your kid fishing for the first time, will you take him to catch sunnies? Since it's not about the harvest, I say no. Take him out musky fishing. Tell him that fishing all day without a strike is all about peace and quiet and being with nature.

Plenty of time for peace and quiet in the woods while still getting a deer once in a while.