HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No saturday deer opener in pa.
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:43 AM
jicand
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
And he'll get plenty of that. But kids need to have some level of success to keep their interest. It's just that simple.

When you take your kid fishing for the first time, will you take him to catch sunnies? Since it's not about the harvest, I say no. Take him out musky fishing. Tell him that fishing all day without a strike is all about peace and quiet and being with nature.

Plenty of time for peace and quiet in the woods while still getting a deer once in a while.
Fishing is different, its more about what he can handle than anything. If it was just about being out there I'd take him bass fishing, but I know he can't handle a bass yet. Hunting, yes I want him to be successful, but not to shoot the first deer he sees, I try to instill a sense of pride in what he does and how to make the right choice. I love the hunting experience, but never shot a deer as a kid. I was hooked from watching my grandfather shoot a deer with a muzzleloader. In fact the only reason I ever stopped hunting is because I lost my hunting land and partner when he died.