HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No saturday deer opener in pa.
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 AM
sproulman
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Truth be told, I miss the whole way it use to be and that way of life went away long before Saturday bear. Long before AR and HR.

Back in the 1970s and into the 1980s, deer camp was a way of life. Guys went up for the week. It didn't matter what was going on in life, they went. Where our old camp was, the whole road was lined with deer camps.

For us, a few things happened. The farmer who let us hunt his land died. The farmer up the street bought it and posted it. Some guys gave up. The rest hunted SGL. Then guys got older, some died, others lost interest.

I think the whole phenomenon of bowhunting the suburbs killed camp as well. Talk to 9 out of 10 fellow hunters now-a-days and they'll say, "why would I drive all the way to camp when I can hunt down here?". And guys that do still go to camp won't if they tag out in special regs in archery.

The new generation isn't tied to the hunting camp tradition like the older guys. I grew up with it. My dad took me up since I was a little kid. I looked up to all those guys and loved every minute in camp.

We haven't gone to the old cabin since about 1984. But I can close my eyes right now and hear the front door squeak, smell that musty smell when you first open the place up - before it was filled with the smell of wood smoke.

I think the whole hunting camp tradition is dying. It's a sign of the times.
back then it was 1 bear per crew in pa. now they let you shoot cubs.DISGUSTING is all i can say.
on top of that now your camp is taxed as seasonal home.
a 600 sq ft camp with 1 acre is assessed at 36,000 dollars.
a year ago you paid a flat rate of 25 dollars.1 acre of land is assessed at 16,000,you believe that.hillside land.

so camps are up for sale now and only RICH are buying them and first thing that goes up is POSTED SIGNS.
we are losing a lot.hunters killing cubs and mother too,adults shooting the deer for 5 yr old girls in pink,crews driving deer and not going by the 3 point rule as long as a kid is along and shooting at any buck,kids at sporting goods store saying to dads,THIS IS STUPID,I AINT GOING HUNTING ANYHOW,dad says,JUST SIGN IT,KIDS SITTING IN TRUCK WHILE DAD HUNTS TURKEYS, CALLS ON RADIO TO COME AND GET HIS TURKEY,THEN SHOOT ANOTHER ONE.

yes things are changing ,for sure.

Last edited by sproulman; 03-09-2011 at 07:36 AM.