HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No saturday deer opener in pa.
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 09:34 AM
BarnesX.308
Nontypical Buck

Well, a lot of the hunting tradition is dying because there's no more recruitment. Most kids today don't want to hunt. It's too boring for them. It's been happening for a while.

Maybe my kid would have said the same thing to me if he waited until he was 12. By the time he would have been 12 he'd probably be so into hanging out with his friends and texting that he wouldn't want to go to camp.

Got to start this generation young or they will never hunt. I think people losing interest in hunting will do more to kill the sport than the mentored youth program ever will.

And the parents you talk about will eventually drop out of hunting because they don't enjoy it for the sake of hunting. They just want something out of it.

I wasn't talking about bear camp when I was mentioning the old camp. Actually, none of those guys ever went bear hunting. Just the first week of buck, the weekends and 3 days of doe. 1 or 2 guys went for bear every now and then but nobody ever got one.

Our hunting camp now is the family cabin. Not a club. The family's weekend get-away. I invite the hunting buddies up for buck week so we call it a club. But nobody pays dues. They just show up for a work weekend and contribute food and drink.