Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY any rubs or scrapes yet? >

NY any rubs or scrapes yet?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY any rubs or scrapes yet?

Old 10-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess all of this speculating keeps us entertained, as far as MEANING anything regarding the rut and it's timing..It's all just speculation...We see some rutting sign or lack of it, or see a buck dogging a doe, and try to attach some sort of pattern to it...

This is what happens...Every year in a period between mid September and late December, deer mate... It's not as if somebody throws a switch and they all turn on at a specific time... Some years due to weather patterns or whatever, there are periods when the mating activity is quite intense..Other years, it takes place much more gradually and there may not be any noticable, intense "peak" of the rut..

As far as mistaking turkey sign for deer sign, I agree that it probably happens often.. In my case, however, I was looking at deer sign before there was even a huntable population of turkeys in NY.. I'm also an avid turkey hunter and I know the difference between turkey scratching and a buck scrape..
Old 10-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Only rubs I've seen are the small early season velvet rubs. Everything I'm reading is pointing towards a late, unpredictable rut this yr.. That we'll see some action heating up in late Oct. Then it'll die out early Nov. when it should be going pretty good. Then picks up again around 3rd wk Nov..
Yeah that's what I'm getting too. I hope not, but everything points towards that's the way it's going to happen.

Charles Alsheimer say's it early this year .
I'm pretty sure he said late this year.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Spike

this is the chart from his book
Attached Thumbnails NY any rubs or scrapes yet?-moon-book-cover.jpg   NY any rubs or scrapes yet?-moon-chart.jpg  
Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found scrape yesterday that was fresh. 1st one seen. What I read from Charles Alsheimer is he's predicting some action early around end Oct. But its dies out in early Nov. Then picks up again mid-late Nov., of course this is based on the moon phases.
But I really hope it starts early, and remains through 1st 2 wks Nov. I haven't seen good rut action during S. bow in past couple yrs.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been studying moon phases/rut issues for almost 40 years, since I worked at Attica in Wyoming Co. If you stick with the theory of spending as much time as possible in the woods the 3-4 days before, and the 3-4 days after the second NEW moon { not full moon } after the fall solistice, you can't go wrong. Then again, hunt the way you want/can.

Around Chemung Co, lots of " frontin " scrape and rub action already. Nothing to get too excited about yet, but stuff's definitley starting. Going up to Raquette lake area to set up camp in the Moose River Plains area Wed/Thur. Some rub/scrape activity there also. Thing that has me a bit antsy is the fact that I'm not seeing beechnut on the ground or in the tree. Hope I'm just missing them. If not, looks like a bad crop again this year.
Not always a bad thing because there will be SOME trees, in that case, with nuts. Find the spot, your in like flint. One reason why I love hunting the "Dacks so much is still hunting and looking for those spots. Frankly, I am going absolutely friggin nuts with anticipation. LOL. If that ever stops, I might as well just take up playing chess full time.