Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
What PA needs .................... >

What PA needs ....................

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What PA needs ....................

Old 12-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

Bomb your legislators with sincere,well thought out solid facts.( Not slander )! Why you want and need a change. The benifiets of those changes. What changes and a well written format explaining why the changes will work.Do so with the PGC. Not all within the Pgc agree on the direction the deer program has taken. Get the diner owner's, the service station owners,the sporting goods owners,hotel owners,deer processors and anyone else you can think of. Ask them to be a voice if the deer program has effected their business. Get signed documentation from your hunting clubs if and what changes they seek and how many hunters that club represents.Maybe find a person or person's on the legislation seat that will represent the hunter with many petitions after petitions signed and in hand. This is how the rat lovers get their way.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:06 AM
Spike

I really hate to say it, but writing petitions and such isnt going to turn any heads. Not yet anyhow. Business that depend on hunter dollars have been hurting for years now. Most have learned to depend on other forms of recreation/tourism to stay afloat, or theyve closed for good. We all agree you need a big shakeup in the PGC and DCNR. IMO the only way thats gonna happen is to let them do their thing. If you think what theyve done so far is extreme, I dont think youve seen nothing yet. Once the first leg of this testbed is complete and more info comes in, thats when youre going to see more extreme changes. The people that matter are watching, heck everyone is watching, and the PGC knows it. Its sink or swim. Give em a couple more years, they'll hang themselves.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:14 AM
Spike

Alrighty then, I found some greenish colored rope.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing I noticed while hunting yesterday, every piece of cover that looked like it might hold grouse had been driven by gangs of men muzzle loader hunting.

These small pockets of cover attract deer and certainly make them far more susceptible to all predators, including us.

I think if I had a camp near forest land, I might be doing a little land management of my own, nights and weekends of course.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 AM
Spike

The only land management thats gonna save deer are posted signs
Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

The tornado's of 88 did a bt of good.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the big tornadoes were May of 85, and then we had some more, that nearly squashed our camp, around 2002-ish. The problem with tornadoes is that you can't even crawl through the damage area for 20 years. Our prime spot got hit both of those times and the only place you could hunt was walking along the forest road after it was reopened. We joke that a helicopter would be needed to get a deer, or especially a bear out of there. The longterm effects are very good though, if you can wait that long. There are some real monster bucks hiding in there that nobody can get to. That is where logging beats tornados. The logs are taken away of course and the tops collapse in a few short years. The new growth gives the herd a boost and the tops give cover. A few years down the road and you have a hunting paradise. That only lasts about 25 years and the same problems begin to creep back. The canopy closes in and chokes out the ground cover and browse.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your right it was 85, and was the growth unbelievable ? Amazing what sun shine does isn't it.

I spent the day letting some light in, killed about 4 over size maples that will make some winter browse for my deer and some fire wood for next year.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bawanajim
Your right it was 85, and was the growth unbelievable ? Amazing what sun shine does isn't it.

I spent the day letting some light in, killed about 4 over size maples that will make some winter browse for my deer and some fire wood for next year.

Two of the big 85 tornadoes were very near my camp. (one was WAY to close) and the results were phenominal. It's been almost that 25 years you spoke of Greg and it's pretty much graduated into a pole timber mess. We do have some responsible timber owners in the area that are clearcutting big enough blocks to do some real good helping things along.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You just ring the tree bark at the base and it will die and blow over, or you can cut it down when it is dry. A simple saw cut all the way around. An easy way for a landowner to let in sunlight for ground vegetation for the herd and age some firewood for the next few years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.