Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
This season so far >

This season so far

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

This season so far

Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default This season so far

Two of my three sons bagged a spring gobbler.I'm in a slump.
I got an average six point bow hunting and my son got an eight point.I spent many a hours on stand without seeing a deer.Was just hoping to see a bobcat,yote,bear or something.
No luck in bear season but we were all around fresh sign.
Son got three grouse so far.I gotta go back to the browning.I'm too slow with the moss.
We don't shoot doe at our cabin but my son and two others went out in rifle.Not much happening there.
I suppose one more second season grouse hunt which will be with dougE.All this debating on here with Doug it will be nice to finally meet him.How did yinz make out so far this year?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Nothing spectacular this year, shot an average 8 with the bow at the end. Saw as few deer overall as ever through the entire archery season & into rifle when I went driving for others. Did see a couple good buck in archery, but thats nothing new. Usually end up seeing a couple every year with enough time spent at it.

We saw a couple nice bobcat, took a coyote out alittle while back... Grouse numbers here way down this year. Not much else really noteworthy to add. Cant wait for next archery season already.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

All this debating on here with Doug it will be nice to finally meet him.
I'll buy ya a case of your favorite imbibe if'n ya sock 'em in the nose just once.

No spring gobbler here. My gobbler season was cut short when I totaled the ol' gals car on a bear on Rt 6 the last Friday in April. Had a swollen face for quite sometime thanks to the airbags.

Rather not talk about the deer season. But I did manage to miss a longbeard on the last day of the fall turkey season with a borrowed 222/20 Savage turkey gun. Sure wish I would have been forewarned of the excessive trigger pull on that gun.

Bear season we drove and we drove and we drove. Never put out a bear. Had the buggers all over me during archery season. Where they got to is anybodies guess.

Now it's time to fight on the messegeboards, tie trout flies and think about spring gobblers. Gotta get the flinter ready just as soon as I finish up tying these here Brown Hackle Peac ocks.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a good season.I killed my second best archery buck ever.I also killed 3 mature private land doe.I hunted some public land in the early muzzleloader season and managed to make a clean miss on a big doe at less than 60 yards.I still can't figure that one out but redeemed myself a couple weeks later and killed one in the same spot with a bow.I only hunted three days in rifle season and killed another state forest doe.I had questionable shots all three days and passed on a couple small ones but most of my time was spent pushing deer to my buddy Steve.I also killed a grouse on the last day of small game season which was the first time the dust was wiped off my shotgun in a few years.There's still plenty of deer left and I have a couple tags in reserve for muzzleloader season.Barring inclement weather,I can't wait.

Looking forward to meeting you in person Rich,although I believe we did talk a couple times on the phone.Hopefully the grouse will still be in the same spots.

Overall it was a good year although it was the first year in about 15 years that I didn't tag a spring gobbler.I usually hunt almost every day before work in the spring but it wasn't in the cards this year and I never made it out.I also didn't get a chance to hunt bear either,which is a first.I can complain about a lack of time but it don't seem right when you think about all the guys over seas that would do anything for a few days in the mountains of Pa.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bear season we drove and we drove and we drove. Never put out a bear. Had the buggers all over me during archery season. Where they got to is anybodies guess.

Coyotes got em.As soon as the bear density gets below 10 bsm,coyotes keep the population stable.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

That h'ain't funny.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes got em.As soon as the bear density gets below 10 bsm,coyotes keep the population stable.
It ain't funny (this part has been removed!)

I warned about personal attacks!
JW!

Last edited by JW; 01-15-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Flaming
Old 12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

That h'ain't funny.

Oh, yes it is.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I did get a spring gobbler, I was having a rough time calling them in, so a buddy of mine came with me the last day and called 2 in on a string. Textbook off the roost, all on video. It was incredibly exciting.

I got a really nice 7 pt in archery, nothing huge, but nice. & 2 does. Then 2 mor does in gun season.

As much as everyone complains, my hunting here in PA was 10x better than the time I spent in Ohio. Pretty much hunted 8-9 solid days of the prime time rut and saw very little.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is really funny is you claimed you have me on "ignore" but you still know what I posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.