Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
This season so far >

This season so far

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

This season so far

Old 01-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
I dont know that anyone said that they put in a lot of time where does are scarce. If deer numbers are low as they are in a few readily accessible parts of 2B, we leave that area alone. Simple enough. I might continue hunting an area with low doe numbers if I was pursuing a particular buck but other than that, I'd move on.

The bigger point is all about doing what you say you believe in or practicing what you preach. In areas with plenty of deer, I shoot plenty. In areas of poor habitat like we have in parts of 2F, I'll shoot a doe there with no problem because while numbers might be low, they need to be lower. In those parts of 2B where the lextra long season has had an effect, we've backed off. If EHD did as much damage as you claim to one of my favorite spots, I would back off and I'd explain why to the landowner. If his heritage means that much to him he certainly should accept the idea.

If you really believe things are going downhill, why contribute to the decline? It's not about sides. First and foremost it should be about staying true to your convictions.

Maybe I'm not being clear.

In 2007 when the EHD bug hit, I did not hunt that property.

In 2008 I did not want to shoot a deer on the property but the landowner insisted. He also had his land posted from the previos year.

Up until that land was posted it was normal to have a 12-15 hunters on his property the first day of rifle. During an entire season, archery,muzzleloader,rifle they would kill at least that many does from his ground. Then on top of that maybe a half dozen bucks.

That all stopped when he posted his land. I took 1 doe and 1 buck in 2008 and then again in 2009 I took another buck and doe.

While I am not happy with the amount of deer I am seeing, only 2 does were shot and tagged from his property in the last three seasons and the land owner got them in his freezer.

There was no need to explain to the land owner about the EHD. He was well aware of the problem, thus the posting of his land after the PGC came to his place to enroll him for another year of that co op thing.

He ask if the season would be shortened because all of the dead deer. They said, "NO!" He posted his land to keep the few that were left from being shot. that was 2007 and Neither I nor the other guy hunted his farm that year.

The following year (2008) I shot a doe with my pistol.

If you want to bust my chops for shooting a deer the land owner requested, go right ahead. I wasn't going to shoot one but he really wanted some meat.

I didn't have the courage to give him a lecture of how I wasn't going to shoot a deer for him. Doing so may have been enough for him to ask me to leave his property along with the other dozen or so hunters.

There are deer on his property. Not as many as I would like to see but definitely some deer. For some reason I see more bucks than does. For the entire season I knew of 7 does(-1) and 11 different bucks on that property. (-1 buck)

There was one huge buck that I really wanted to hang my tag on( saw him several times) and one other a little bigger than the one I got. There were also 3 smaller 8pts and several sub-legal bucks.

I saw 4 bucks in a bachelor group the first day of archery and didn't see a deer for a couple days after that. As the rut kicked in, I saw mutiple bucks several days. Most days I didn't see any does.

The group of 7 all hung out together and when the rut was in the huge buck was with the 6 that were left.

My talk of these deer would seem to you that there were plenty of deer. I just know that I've seen more deer in past years, especially does.

If you guys feel that I'm some kind of unethical hunter for shooting a doe, then so be it.

I
Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

If you guys feel that I'm some kind of unethical hunter for shooting a doe, then so be it.
Nothing unethical about it. You took a legal doe for a landowner. I'd much rather see that then hear about that doe being shot at night for crop damage.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by germain
Wind,if the landowner wants you to shoot doe then by george you should shoot one.
Dougie,when does it suit you to take that hike?Feb or march?

Anytime is good.We lost alot of snow this past week so the hiking shouldn't be a problem.I'd like to show you some decent grouse hunting so the sooner the better.