Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
This might be the year! >

This might be the year!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

This might be the year!

Old 11-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default This might be the year!

That hunters realize by killing every mature doe they can that hunting might not be as much fun as they remember.

This day was a shocking reminder of how few deer we really have left. No sightings ........no shooting........its not pretty.

I live in the most deer rich environment in the state yet between poaching and Amish it was a poor day, I'm tired of preaching.

The signs are going up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know, I had alot of fun today whacking a big doe. We saw 22 today. Heard 23 shots by 9am but was much slower a couple miles away where my brothers were hunting. The deer are there but nobody hunting to move them.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

There was a lot of shooting all day on the sgl across the river from me. There must have been some deer over there.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had guys a mile from me that had good days,

But I had five guys two with kids that were not happy.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

I know this is just rehashing the same ole story,but what you said is true.I refused to go back to my old spot in 2A this year after my first day sightings went from 33 three years ago,to 27 two years ago,to 3 last year.My hunting buddy of 30 years was a trooper and went without me,telling me i'd be sorry cause he was going to hunt out of my treestand.As it turns out,I was sorry.Sorry I couldn't talk some sense into him.He and his son saw a total of 1 deer all day,and the closest shot was two hills over.He had a nice conversation with the neighbor who owns 700 acres and was told EHD was so bad the summer before last that they had couldn't stay in their camp because of the smell of all the dead deer on the property.But as usuall,our beloved PGC continued to sell out all 55,000 doe licenses that year and continued their deer decimation program by selling all 55,000 for this year.They won't be satisfied until they're all gone !!!
Old 11-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

Fellas, you got that right about the ehd areas in 2A. The worst hit anyway. They most definately have NOT fully recovered as we were told and are now being told by pgc that they have fully recovered. A few of my favorite areas were wiped out. They have recovered some, but thats not saying much. They are a helluva long way from what they were pre-ehd. I get a good chuckle at the pgc damage control squad constantly saying otherwise. We spend alot of time in those areas and know the score.

Anyway, PAINFULLY little shooting and despite the very bad weather, there was a good turnout in the area we were in today. I already took a buck in archery, so went to give moral support. lol. Didnt want to put on drives just yet, but anyway, of 5 hunters, one average 8 pt taken. Only legal buck seen today. Only other buck, a 4 pt. and few does... From before daylight to complete dark. And that wasnt even in a "known" ehd hit area. Lots of hunters on stand and moving about. Saw a few vehicles with deer on them coming home, including one pretty good buck but pretty paltry pickens overall. MANY trucks had nothin on 'em but quads and or equipment.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 AM
Typical Buck

Rode around for a couple hours before heading to my buddies butcher shop. Good turn out despite weather. Heard 6 shots fired. Went to the butcher shop.
He had two buck and five doe brought in by 3pm. Not to good! Weather will be the blame.