Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Just spent a week in 2G.......... >

Just spent a week in 2G..........

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Just spent a week in 2G..........

Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

Why are you predicting it down when you said it was looking up spurs??

I cant comment on 2G particularly, but overall statewide Id bet that the harvest will most likely be lower than last years pathetic harvest. It was a pretty thourough harvest in many areas with very good weather throughout, and the total was still pretty pathetic. Think we can set a new record? Less than the absolutely ridiculous 109k of the year before last?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Why are you predicting it down when you said it was looking up spurs??
I hunted every day of the firearms season in 2G except one. Pressure was extremely light in my area throughout the first week. There were folks in camp for Monday, then alot of them went home. Come Saturday, the camps were filled up again and stayed mostly full right through the second week because of the antlerless rules in 2G last season. Usually the second week of firearms season is pretty lonely. Not last year. There were ALOT of guys in the woods that usually aren't there. Invariably, these guys took bucks that generally would have made it through until the next season. Having the extra bucks removed will show in this years numbers.

That's why I'm saying my hunch is that the 2G buck harvest will be down. I'd love to see the harvest data from last year to see if my theory is correct. But anyhow....the reason I'm saying things are looking up is because these last few years one could drive for miles and miles and not see any deer in the TSF. Nowadays if we see 5-6 during a 25 miles drive we feel like we are in hog heaven.

Last edited by ManySpurs; 07-29-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year on the first day,I hunted less than a mile from where BT was at.I was 3/4 of mile from my truck(as per my garmin)which was parked ona gas well on state forest.I only saw one other hunter that day,actually in the woods.I only saw one deer that day,which was a 16-18 inch 8 point that I watched for over 20 minutes at less than 20 yards.I heard very little shooting.I went back to that same area on the first saturday because that's where I had a dmap tag.I couldn't make it up the one way because OFTHE ICE SO i TURNED AROUND AND WENT IN ANOTHER WAY.My buddy and I tried to do small one man drives to each other but it was tough setting up to stand because of the cruncy snow.Still,by 10:00 am I filled my dmap tag and saw 8 other deer including a nice high 6 point.I saw no hunters that day but my buddy saw a big fat lady sitting less than 50 yards off of the one state forest road.the deer and the habitat are both doing better in that area.I just bought another dmap tag for that area and look forward to filling it in a few months.

I spent the last day on that cliff behind the Willows in Sinnemahoning.I usually like to hike all the way to the top where it meets elk state forest and hunt the one side that ws cut in 2001.there was quite a bit of snow up there and almost zero tracks,most likely do to the fact that there were no acorns.I found some tracks in one cut area but they all headed over a shear cliff.After a couple hours I had to call it a day because my daughter had a party to go to.I still hunted down that cliff and spotted a buck on the opposite side of a saddle.I came dangerously close to drilling him.I still can't get over how hard a small white rack can be to spot when a deer is standing in some tree tops with a white back ground.After letting him walk,I jumped about 8 or nine deer right above the willows.I got my head back in the game and walked up on a bedded doe about 300 yards further along that ridge.As I gutted here in he bed, I could see vehicles tunning onto rt 872.that area had snow cover since november and I never cut one single boot print.Last year was a good year in 2G.This year will definately be even better.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

I saw no hunters that day but my buddy saw a big fat lady sitting less than 50 yards off of the one state forest road.the deer and the habitat are both doing better in that area.
Man I'll tell ya.....ya just never know when or where my 300 pound spandex wearing coonskinning neighbor is gonna show up.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was the fat lady singin'?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy said she was just off the road sittin there like a big pumkin.He thought maybe she was waiting for a bus.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
My buddy said she was just off the road sittin there like a big pumkin.He thought maybe she was waiting for a bus.
She was probably waitin' for one of you "way back in" guys to chase her a deer. Smart lady.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was over Doug,the fat lady was singing so you should have went home.

In the past few years our numbers have been alot lower but enough deer to keep your interest.By that I mean seeing two or three a day.However last year we had snow cover from the first day of rifle to the last day.They stuck out like a sore thumb in the laurel and pine thickets.Deer you normally didn't see were easily seen with the snow cover.As a result so far this spring/summer has shown the least amount of deer or deer sign I've ever seen.
Might have to grab a hold of the pocket book this year and do alot of driving/scouting looking for some decent spots in the mosh state forest.That's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ManySpurs
I hunted every day of the firearms season in 2G except one. Pressure was extremely light in my area throughout the first week. There were folks in camp for Monday, then alot of them went home. Come Saturday, the camps were filled up again and stayed mostly full right through the second week because of the antlerless rules in 2G last season. Usually the second week of firearms season is pretty lonely. Not last year. There were ALOT of guys in the woods that usually aren't there. Invariably, these guys took bucks that generally would have made it through until the next season. Having the extra bucks removed will show in this years numbers.

That's why I'm saying my hunch is that the 2G buck harvest will be down. I'd love to see the harvest data from last year to see if my theory is correct. But anyhow....the reason I'm saying things are looking up is because these last few years one could drive for miles and miles and not see any deer in the TSF. Nowadays if we see 5-6 during a 25 miles drive we feel like we are in hog heaven.
ManySpurs, the PGC ruined our hunting strategy by opening antlerless seaon during the second week. That's when we always hunt to avoid other hunters. Guess I have to reverse my strategy now!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ManySpurs

very well said.what you described is what 2G clinton county looks like.instead of first week loaded with hunters, now its 2 weeks.yes, a lot of bucks were killed second week or first saturday and lot were little spikes we left go in noyes twp area.crews had kids and kids tags so little bucks took beating and a few nice buck did too.ones i know that got bucks second week DID NOT EVEN LOOK TO SEE IF IT HAD 3 POINTS to side,they just shoot.anything that moved was SHOT.........

its wonder that any deer survive.

its like bear hunting last year,DID YOU KNOW MOST SHOT THEIR BEAR IN DENS DO TO EARLY SNOW,oh i forgot as 3 said to me,SPROUL THEY WERE MAKING A DEN,unreal.sorry i got of topic but you are right on.on 15 mile trip in good hunting area if i see 10 deer its been great night and yes, every deer you see in fields is what you got this year.

some good news may be happening, i think the rain killed the gypsy moth this year,i have load of white oak acorns already dropping in my yard.yeee haw!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.