Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA doe tags Going Going..... soon to be gone!!! >

PA doe tags Going Going..... soon to be gone!!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA doe tags Going Going..... soon to be gone!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

around my place about 15 need to be shot
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowtruck
around my place about 15 need to be shot

Are you saying you want 15 doe PSM shot in your area?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

"I have a camp next door to me that has 10 members. Every one of them applies for a 2G tag and many of them get picked. They haven't shot a doe in 8 years, don't intend to shoot doe, and would kick out any member that would shoot a doe.

I imagine this scenario plays out pretty often and contributes greatly to the quick sale of 2G tags."

Could be? What do you figure the ratio is of guys on the "buy a tag, save a doe" program, to the number that buy 'em and use 'em?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Are you saying you want 15 doe PSM shot in your area?
Yea thats what he said and I'm sure he wants you to explain why that can't happen in 2G, maybe 2F but never 2G.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ManySpurs
I have a camp next door to me that has 10 members. Every one of them applies for a 2G tag and many of them get picked. They haven't shot a doe in 8 years, don't intend to shoot doe, and would kick out any member that would shoot a doe.

I imagine this scenario plays out pretty often and contributes greatly to the quick sale of 2G tags.

I have not hunted Pa for 2 years, But I have a draw full of tags from the past 10 years i never intended on using. Many clubs buy all they can and burn them. I think I have probably around 100 5c tags still in the envelopes laying around from years past I think if there were only 200 doe allowed shot in Pa. and the PGC would put 100,000 tags on sale they would all be sold thats just the way Pa. people are.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

Could be? What do you figure the ratio is of guys on the "buy a tag, save a doe" program, to the number that buy 'em and use 'em?
Maybe more? Maybe less?
Old 07-15-2009, 04:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really find it amusing that guys buy doe licenses to "protect" the doe.

All they wind up doing over time is skewing the success rates per tag issued which eventually causes more tags to be issued for that WMU in order to get the PGC's desired harvest.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter

All they wind up doing over time is skewing the success rates per tag issued which eventually causes more tags to be issued for that WMU in order to get the PGC's desired harvest.
Actually, I think you may be partially wrong on that count. If there's alot of tag burning and tag hording going on in 2G, it sure doesn't show in the allocations. They've dropped over the last few years, so I don't reckon the tag burners are having an effect on tag allocations?.

It's all a game of chance. How can the PGC allocate tags based on hunters that bought tags and burned them, hunters that bought tags and didn't use them but sent in a harvest report card anyway, and hunters that did use the tag but didn't send in a report card, and hunters that did use the tag and did report their kill? It's all a game of chance. Plain and simple.

Last edited by ManySpurs; 07-15-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter

If the PGC doesn't know how many deer there are in each WMU , how do they know how many need to be harvested to get the desired kill?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's a simple enough concept for anyone with elementary school math skills.

The PGC calculates how many antlerless license it takes to generate a harvested deer for each WMU. RSB has posted those ratios here before

The number of tags it takes to generate a harvested deer varies between WMU's. The PGC calculates the desired harvest and simply applies the tags needed per harvest ratio to get the kill they want.

If enough guys buy tags and burn em, the harvest success rate goes down and it requires more tags to generate a dead deer. If the desired harvest in a WMU is say 15,000 and it takes 3 tags per deer killed they issue 45,000 tags (15,000 x 3) . Now if 15,000 guys buy tags and dont use em and the guys that do use em harvest 10, 000 the success rate per tag goes down to 4.5 tags per deer harvested. If the desired harvest is still at 15,000 the next year, the PGC would now have to sell 67,500 tags. (15,000 x 4.5)

Once again, you guys that buy tags just to "protect the doe" are actually contributing to higher total allocations in the long run. It's safe to assume that most of the guys who get those extra tags you helped to generate will use em so the pendulum swings the other way too. Buting doe tags to burn em may make you feel better but in the long run, you're not helping "your" cause!

Of course the PGC can always use the $$ since the mouthy minority blackmail has stalled a license increase so keep right on buying em and burning em LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.