Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Whats wrong with the gamelands? >

Whats wrong with the gamelands?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Whats wrong with the gamelands?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats wrong with the gamelands?

The other pictures were of another shelterwood cut that was unfenced.It's coming back now because the dd is very low there.I
How do you know the DD was very low in that area? Did you do a pellet count or was the areas part of a FLIR survey? If not you are just guessing and really have no idea why that area regenerated . The fact is many areas have better regeneration with much higher DDs than other areas with lower deer DDs that also have lower regeneration. WMU 2F and 2G are a prime example. WMU 2F produced a harvest of 6,67 DPSM with 39% regeneration while 2G only produced a harvest of 3.84 DPSM, but regeneration decreased from 42% to 38%.Also 3A produced a harvest of 7.69 DPSM with a regeneration rate of 61 %. Therefore, there obviously is a direct correlation between DD and regeneration because there are numerous other variables that determine the rate of regeneration.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

That area was flown over in 2005 and DCNR does pellet counts every year.Last year I walked through thatarea with the district foresterand he claimed the owdd was between 8 and 10 based on that information.On top of that,that shelterwood cutwas on a ridgtop which is almost devoid of deer during the winter when most of the overbrowsing occurs.All I did was show the man an area where DCNR has been cutting without having to fence.

The habitat is coming back,no doubt about it.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

But it will have no effect on how a our herd is managed as long as the herd is managed based on the regeneration rates.
That area was flown over in 2005 and DCNR does pellet counts every year
If the DCNR has the money and manpower to do pellet counts every year, they should use that money for fencing and allow the herd to increase.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever,I don't work for DCNR.I'm simply pointing out that the habitat is definately starting to recover where the herd has been reduced.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

But it will have no effect on how a our herd is managed as long as the herd is managed based on the regeneration rates.
That area was flown over in 2005 and DCNR does pellet counts every year
If the DCNR has the money and manpower to do pellet counts every year, they should use that money for fencing and allow the herd to increase.
Wow,you're actually starting to become dillusional.What would this large deer herd feed on if the cuts were fenced?You're starting to lose your mind.More deer at any cost.You guys want population estimates but then complain when they do them.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

First of all Jake,When Ihadn't checked that exclosure out in about two years.It was a shelterwood cut and I wanted to show him exactly why they do it.the last time I was there,it was loaded with oak regeneration.Now,the little oak that is left,has been hedged almost to the ground.I'm not sure what yo think it shows but I know that it proves,the deer single handedly altered that area forever.That's exactly what happened all accross the northern tier.The pictures prove it and your misguided attempts to discredit me just make you look more clueless.The other pictures were ofanother shelterwood cut that was unfenced.It's coming back now because the dd is very low there.Interestingly,I also showed him some areasunder a closed canopy that were starting to devlop a nice mid level understory.He took pictures of those areas as well.I wonder why he didn't post them with a caption?You're not bursting my bubble chief.No one has been able to refute the validity of those pictures.The more you tried,the more foolish and clueless it became obvious you were.

Yes I do think it's unreasonable for any stand to produce year after year on opening day for several years.I adapt to the current conditions and that's why I'm successful and you continue to whine and cry about the lack of deer.
You make it sound like such an impossible feat, when it is infinitely harder to accomplish your run of seventeen consecutive bucks with a bow on public land. Surely you aren't saying that archery is easier than a 30-06 are you? Maybe you rifle hunt differently than I do. I scout the topography, pinpoint the escape routes the deer are forced to travel, and evaluate the effects of the hunting pressure to determine deer movement.A far cry from my bowhunting strategies that focus around buck sign and changing food sources, and the onset of the rut. Opening day rifle hunting stands are based on one factor for me. Hunting pressure. Because all natural deer movement is going nocturnal in a hurry. Still not sure how you find consistent opening morning success so difficult, other than significantly fewer deer these days. I haven't failed to kill a deer in over twenty years, with one lone exception. However, I now aproach doe harvest very cautiously, deciding carefully each year whether I will take a doe from a particular area. I'm far from crying no deer, in fact I'm still killing deer. Of course, that fact is not an indicator of the deer program's success...(Go ahead say it, What are you complaining about?) I'm not self centered enough to entertain that my own successis representative of others. Ikill deer in SPITE of the PGC's efforts, not because of their deer program.But I can also see the glaring truth that this was never about deer or ecology, as much as timber and extreme environmentalists. The truth that you keep denying.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

That area was flown over in 2005 and DCNR does pellet counts every year.Last year I walked through thatarea with the district foresterand he claimed the owdd was between 8 and 10 based on that information.On top of that,that shelterwood cutwas on a ridgtop which is almost devoid of deer during the winter when most of the overbrowsing occurs.All I did was show the man an area where DCNR has been cutting without having to fence.

Awsome. Now let's see a SERIOUS attempt at reducing antlerless allocations, and let these deer numbers get above 10 owdin alot of places. Aww, wait. Then we'd be back to overbrowsing again, soI guess we are going to see the low dd forever, to satisfy the big timber and birdwatchers. Guess we get hosed anyway you slice it.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow,you're actually starting to become dillusional.What would this large deer herd feed on if the cuts were fenced?You're starting to lose your mind.More deer at any cost.You guys want population estimates but then complain when they do them.
DCNR only controls around 1M acres that are managed for timber. At a 1% harvest rate they would harvest less than 16 SM /yr. or less than 100SM that would be fence at any given time. That would equal 0.2 % of the total land mass of the state so the deer would still have plenty to eat. Besides the MSY CC of northern hardwoods is 40 DPSM so if the herd was managed at 20 DPSM they would still have more than enough food to be quite healthy.

The DCNR did not include the results of pellet counts in the 2006 Browse study and claimed they were irrelevant ,so why do they do them?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

First of all Jake,When Ihadn't checked that exclosure out in about two years.It was a shelterwood cut and I wanted to show him exactly why they do it.the last time I was there,it was loaded with oak regeneration.Now,the little oak that is left,has been hedged almost to the ground.I'm not sure what yo think it shows but I know that it proves,the deer single handedly altered that area forever.That's exactly what happened all accross the northern tier.The pictures prove it and your misguided attempts to discredit me just make you look more clueless.The other pictures were ofanother shelterwood cut that was unfenced.It's coming back now because the dd is very low there.Interestingly,I also showed him some areasunder a closed canopy that were starting to devlop a nice mid level understory.He took pictures of those areas as well.I wonder why he didn't post them with a caption?You're not bursting my bubble chief.No one has been able to refute the validity of those pictures.The more you tried,the more foolish and clueless it became obvious you were.

Yes I do think it's unreasonable for any stand to produce year after year on opening day for several years.I adapt to the current conditions and that's why I'm successful and you continue to whine and cry about the lack of deer.
You make it sound like such an impossible feat, when it is infinitely harder to accomplish your run of seventeen consecutive bucks with a bow on public land. Surely you aren't saying that archery is easier than a 30-06 are you? Maybe you rifle hunt differently than I do. I scout the topography, pinpoint the escape routes the deer are forced to travel, and evaluate the effects of the hunting pressure to determine deer movement.A far cry from my bowhunting strategies that focus around buck sign and changing food sources, and the onset of the rut. Opening day rifle hunting stands are based on one factor for me. Hunting pressure. Because all natural deer movement is going nocturnal in a hurry. Still not sure how you find consistent opening morning success so difficult, other than significantly fewer deer these days. I haven't failed to kill a deer in over twenty years, with one lone exception. However, I now aproach doe harvest very cautiously, deciding carefully each year whether I will take a doe from a particular area. I'm far from crying no deer, in fact I'm still killing deer. Of course, that fact is not an indicator of the deer program's success...(Go ahead say it, What are you complaining about?) I'm not self centered enough to entertain that my own successis representative of others. Ikill deer in SPITE of the PGC's efforts, not because of their deer program.But I can also see the glaring truth that this was never about deer or ecology, as much as timber and extreme environmentalists. The truth that you keep denying.
Nope jake,I never said it was an impossible feat but it it's totaly unrealistic.When I did hunt bucks with a rifle,most of my kills were between 11:00am and 3:00pm and not always on the first day.I also never claimed archery was easier than rifle season either.Some years it takes me all six weks of archery season to kill a buck.Last year I killed a buck on the last thursday of october and the year before,I killed one on the last morning of the season.I'm not really sure what your point is.You really never have one.You want more deer.That's all there is to it and you don't give a rat's fat azz about the habitat.Even when the obvious is shoved in your face,you deny it and make up a bunch ofbaseless, nonsense to try and support your misguided and warped opinions.You are undeducated on these matters and simply don't have the knowledge or expeience to have a worthy debate.Remember,when youtried to claim that browse wasn't important to deer in Pa and cited a Study in friggin Texas to back up your poor misguided opinion.Texas for crying out loud.lol
Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

Awsome. Now let's see a SERIOUS attempt at reducing antlerless allocations, and let these deer numbers get above 10 owdin alot of places. Aww, wait. Then we'd be back to overbrowsing again, soI guess we are going to see the low dd forever, to satisfy the big timber and birdwatchers. Guess we get hosed anyway you slice it.
Why would anyone want to put the habitat back into the state it was before.You honestly don't care one bit about the habitat do you?You want easy hunting so you can be done by noon on the first day.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with the gamelands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.