Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Whats wrong with the gamelands? >

Whats wrong with the gamelands?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Whats wrong with the gamelands?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats wrong with the gamelands?

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Wow,you're actually starting to become dillusional.What would this large deer herd feed on if the cuts were fenced?You're starting to lose your mind.More deer at any cost.You guys want population estimates but then complain when they do them.
DCNR only controls around 1M acres that are managed for timber. At a 1% harvest rate they would harvest less than 16 SM /yr. or less than 100SM that would be fence at any given time. That would equal 0.2 % of the total land mass of the state so the deer would still have plenty to eat. Besides the MSY CC of northern hardwoods is 40 DPSM so if the herd was managed at 20 DPSM they would still have more than enough food to be quite healthy.

The DCNR did not include the results of pellet counts in the 2006 Browse study and claimed they were irrelevant ,so why do they do them?
You'll have to ask them why they dop them?

It isn't just about the deer being healthy.It's about the deer continueing to dmage the habitat even more.20 DPSMis reasonable once the habitat recovers.Alot of areas have more than that now.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It isn't just about the deer being healthy.It's about the deer continueing to dmage the habitat even more.20 DPSM is reasonable once the habitat recovers.Alot of areas have more than that now.
But it doesn't matter how much the habitat recovers the PGC will not allow the herd to increase to that density because 20 DPSM will adversely effect regeneration of commercially valuable timber species.

It never was about the deer being healthy because they were healthy when we had 1.6 M deer, in 2000.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm willing to bet that very few people are actually hunting at local densities less than 20 dpsm.Heck on screamingsteel saw twenty some deer in one area on the first day of rifle season last year.Do think he saw every deer in that square mile?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm willing to bet that very few people are actually hunting at local densities less than 20 dpsm
It's pretty sad that at this point in the discussion that you don't even realize the 20 DPSM we are talking about is the OWDD, not the PS DD!!

Furthermore the harvest rate in 2G does not reflect a PS herd anywhere close to 20 PS DPSM. In 2005 2G only had 12 PS DPSM and the 2008 harvest reflects a similar PS DD.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on where you hunt BT.If you go where there's thousands of acres of mature forest with an overbrowsed understory with nothing but ferns,you'll have a low harvest rate.Conversley,if you find an areas with ufficient food and cover,you'll find plenty of deer.How do I know?I do it very year and I hunt different or knewplaces every year.Unfortunately,too many areas of the state have overbrowsed understories and poor habitat.It's funny though,the more overbrowsed the areas and the further guys can see,the harder they get hit.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once again it is all about you and your success. You care nothing about the thousands of other hunters that go without a deer because 8 OW DPSM only produces a sustainable harvest of less than 4 DPSM. It wouldn't matter if all of the hunters in 2 G concentrated in the areas with good browse and understory , 2G will still only produce a harvest of less than 4 DPSM!!!

Apparently even the simplest concept like that escapes you.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once again it is all about you and your success. You care nothing about the thousands of other hunters that go without a deer because 8 OW DPSM only produces a sustainable harvest of less than 4 DPSM. It wouldn't matter if all of the hunters in 2 G concentrated in the areas with good browse and understory , 2G will still only produce a harvest of less than 4 DPSM!!!

So as far as simple concepts go,hows this?

Since the states hunters are to dumb to hunt where deer live , we will over populate our Fields and streams with deer so that those to dumb to hunt successfully today will be better suited to hunt tomorrows starving deer from our barren woodlands. Great Idea there Larry.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess we can add you to the long list of those that can't understand simple concepts. Our deer weren't starving when we had 1.6M PSD , in fact they were healthier and more productive than they are today and our streams weren't overpopulated with deer as you just claimed.
we will over populate our Fields and streams with deer so that those to dumb to hunt successfully today will be better suited to hunt tomorrows starving deer from our barren woodlands. Great Idea there Larry.
It is you that has been blaming hunters for being to osuccessful at harvesting deer and now you are blaming them for being too dumb to hunt in the right areas. Make up your mind if you have one!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are losing it.How could the deer possibly have been healthier then?
Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I make my own success by hunting where deer should actually be.I don't expect an even number of deer spread out accross the landscape.That's a pretty simple concept that obviously escapes you.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with the gamelands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.