Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Marcia Bonta

Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Marcia Bonta

BTB, I am familiar with the writings of the great Ned Smith, as well as Fergus and Bob Sopchick to name a few. The common denominator in all their work is that hunting was a passion for each of them, and it always found a way in to their columns, even when the focus may have been on goldfinch nesting habits, or morel mushrooms. They were hunter/ naturalists. If Marcia is a hunter,it wouldn't hurt tomention it once in a while. If she isn't, then she probably belongs in a different publication.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what if she isn't a hunter. As long as she isn't slamming/bashing/etc. those who do, let her have at it. I'm sure there are plenty of individuals who might enjoy a read about birds and flowers, especially those of us who have survived the peace/love/dove hippy days. LOL
Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Havent read that part of Game news consistently since Ned Smith's last. The content was OK when I did read it but no one has been able to replicate old Neds style IMHO

Don't recall much about hunting from either Sopchik or Fergus but I always assumed they were hunters.

Whether Bonta hunts or not is irrelevant IMHO because there has been a "nature" column that hashad essentially a non hunting theme for decades. (More decades than most of us would like to admit beingaround for)
Two or three pages about something other than an actual hunt out of an otherwise uniquely hunting only oriented magazine with no advertising should be no problem to anyone.

Sorry guys, but having a problem with something thats been there for years in one form or another just proves thatyou're gettinway too sensitive to this "enviromeanie" thing. Seems some of you havepanties that get bunched up way too easily.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Havent read that part of Game news consistently since Ned Smith's last. The content was OK when I did read it but no one has been able to replicate old Neds style IMHO

Don't recall much about hunting from either Sopchik or Fergus but I always assumed they were hunters.

Whether Bonta hunts or not is irrelevant IMHO because there has been a "nature" column that hashad essentially a non hunting theme for decades. (More decades than most of us would like to admit beingaround for)
Two or three pages about something other than an actual hunt out of an otherwise uniquely hunting only oriented magazine with no advertising should be no problem to anyone.

Sorry guys, but having a problem with something thats been there for years in one form or another just proves thatyou're gettinway too sensitive to this "enviromeanie" thing. Seems some of you havepanties that get bunched up way too easily.
There has been a nature column running for years. Written by hunters like me and you in a magazine about hunting in PA, by the agency that regulates hunting in PA. I'm not one to fraternize with the enemy for political purposes. If we don't get our briefs (or YOUR panties) in a bunch over ecoweenies they will defeat us. Bet you aren't an NRA member either because nobody really wants our guns.Wake up!!!!!!! It's ok to make a stand once in a while and show that you have a set.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

On another note, BTB...if you are a fan of Ned Smith, I highly reccomend visiting his nature center nearMillersburg and Halifaxin Dauphin county on top of Peter's mountain. It's a wonderful tribute to a true naturalist and outdoorsman, and oner of the greatest wildife artists I've ever seen.

http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/
Old 03-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

I liked Smiths and Sopchiks articles. I think its great to find non-hunting wildlife articles in hunting publications.These type of articles supplied info on other birds and mammals that I came across while hunting. Plus IMO, I think it is good PR, to have these type of articles in hunting publications. It tells non-hunters we are more than just killers.[/align]
Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

I think its great to find non-hunting wildlife articles in hunting publications.

Pathetic !

I think it is good PR, to have these type of articles in hunting publications. It tells non-hunters we are more than just killers.

Do you really think they care what type of articles are in our hunting publications? Do you think they put articles about hunting in there publications? Do you think they feel a need to pander to us?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Smith, Fergus and Sopchick were/are all hunters and great writers. Sopchick is, like Smith, also a pretty good artist. Coupla paragraphs into a Sopchick story and you feel like you were there at the time.Same with most exceptional writers.

Miss his articles in Game News, but was told he got too busy with his other interests to keep writing a monthly article for them. Have spoken with him a few times at shows and have some of his art, great guy in my opinion.

Have no problem withBonta's column in the magazine. If it concerns something that interests me, I read it. If not, usually don't. To each their own. Don't read every article in American Rifleman either, if it doesn't interest me. Not much about expensive European double rifles or shotgunsthat interests me, so if they have an article about them, they oftenget skipped.

Plenty of other good stuff in there each month, just as there is in Game News.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Also, I am not a killer. I am hunter and there is a difference. I do not need to justify myself or justify why I hunt to anyone. Hunters and hunting are not on trial.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Amen, brother! I don't care if the ecoweenies, birdwatchers, yuppies, hippies, globalists, etc. find my hunting socially acceptable or politically correct. It's my God given right as a human being to be above the animals and like all other God given rights,I surely would not give those rights up without a fight to the death. Of course, it's no longer politically correctto make reference to God, being American and proud and many other things, but that is thestuff for another threadand another place.[:@]I just don't like it when my friends hold a knife to my back and fraternize with the enemy.

After reading some more articles and a web page or two, I still maintain that she carefully sets a neutral position on hunting, other than a brief mention on a property she consulted with to manage (DMAP) the deer to allow for more DIVERSE species of wildlflowers and plant life, while never actually stating any huning involvement herself. The new face of the environmentalists is to support massive deer reduction for their own biodiversity agendas, while giving the false appearance of being hunting advocates. These are the ones to watch out for, and the same ones exerting so much influence on the PGC in recent years. Their goal is for hunters to reduce the herds to a level maintainable through contraceptives and then ban all hunting. Result= Bodiversity, Sustainable forests, and NO HUNTING! This is the ultimate purpose, and the DCNR< PGC< AUDUBON, and a slew of others are all in on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.