Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 A better relationship with our PGC? How? >

A better relationship with our PGC? How?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

A better relationship with our PGC? How?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A better relationship with our PGC? How?

I've been active in the same sportsmens' club for the past 25 years. Other than when WCOs were in short supply (like now), we've always had WCOs and other PGC staff out for regular meetings, putting on programs and generally staying in touch. None have ever shied away from answering questions or dealing with disgruntledhunters.

Yep, there were disgruntledhunters 20 years ago, long before that and long beforeHR begain. Back in the80s, Ted Gotshall(?) from the PGC, used to come out and explain how they arrived at antlerless allocations; estimated deer kills and anything else someone in the audience demanded an explanation for relative to deer.

He'd bring worksheets with their figures, explain things for the thickest gourd in the room and once stayed far beyond his alloted time. He told me when he got there, that he had to leave for another county by a certain time that night, for an appearance the next morning. When I pointed out that he was already past his "quitting time", he said I ain't leaving here until everyone in the room understands. ;O)

Right now our WCO is on active duty in Iraq(again) with the USMC. While he's been gone, one of our former WCOs now at HQ, has come out several times to speak or listen. Have also had Jerry Feaser out, several wildlifebiologists and others. We also get some attention from our local legislators, with personal appearances and communications.

Guess we're just luckier than others, being fairly close to Harrisburg? Perhaps if they weren't on such a short fiscal leash, they could send out more people? On the other hand, few at our club ever accuse them of being handled by DCNR, or all beinga bunch of idiots. And yep, we have"ain't no deer anymore" members, too. Most of them just know how to behave in a civil manner.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'd have to ask theBiologists at the PGC.Show me where they said those numbers are any type of long term plan.My guess is that they just decided to stabilize where they happened to be at the present time.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: DougE

You'd have to ask theBiologists at the PGC.Show me where they said those numbers are any type of long term plan.My guess is that they just decided to stabilize where they happened to be at the present time.
A question with a question from someone who has been to all the PGC seminars and studied why HR needs to be done who just don't know the answer. I hope the big boys are not watching Douge. It might screw your chances up with becomeing a team player for them. That is a really lousy guess. Yes they want to reduce the herd numbers because of habitat you say,But decided to let that WMU go. Again,Very lousy answer there from an educated with PA habitat and deer management study individual like your self there Douge. You do boast about all your knowledge on here about habitat and deer management. How you and PGC is so right and everyone else is so wrong.[:'(]

Maybe RSB can fly in to try and save you as you did him. That was a lousy defend I have to say on your part. It showed your true colors also Douge. You are all for the PGC and DCNR and someday would like to be a player for them.
So I don't think anyone can trust your answers as being truth.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

But here is a challenge for you. Explain why 2F is being managed at 22 DPSM and 2G is managed at 12 PS DPSM when the forest health is poorer in 2F than in 2G based on regeneration? What PGC criteria justifies that descrepency?
I ask Dr. Rosenberry that very question at an open house, and he didn't have a clue. All he could say is that he would have to look into that. Whether he did or not, I don't know, but I do know that those 2 WMUs are still be managed at significantly different deer densities for no apparent reason.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

DougE & DennyF, these are the answers I was hoping to hear. Doug, you stated huntersare not educated enough. Denny,you stated just as I did, we've always had WCOs and other PGC staff out for regular meetings, putting on programs and generally staying in touch. Could this bethe solution? Getting more WCOs and other PGC staff out for regular meetings?[/align]
Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I practically begged and pleaded with our GW's to come into our shop and talk with hunters. No deal- they were afraid of physical violence. Hmmm , they have a point !!!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: blkpowder

DougE & DennyF, these are the answers I was hoping to hear. Doug, you stated huntersare not educated enough. Denny,you stated just as I did, we've always had WCOs and other PGC staff out for regular meetings, putting on programs and generally staying in touch. Could this be the solution? Getting more WCOs and other PGC staff out for regular meetings?[/align]
It would not be the solution if they just repeated the same old lies they have been spreading since 2000. The PGC has tried Alt's propaganda tours, open houses,PCN interviews , informational pamphlets and press releases. What hunters want to see is a real change in direction and some honest answers. Until the PGC starts telling the truth ,nothing will change.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Might be a good idea if the PGC told the WCO,s to stop bashing hunters on public forums, that could be a good starter.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

The problem is just as Doug UNINTENTIONALLY pointed out. The people with HIS attitude currently running the gameless commission. To them, the hunters are idiots and know nothing. They expect the hunter to accept extremes and no room for compromise when there is PLENTY on many issues. I'll said 1000 times that PA is at the very bottom in the nation as far as current hunter satisfaction. There are states where the satisfaction has been found to be extremely high. There is absolutely no excuse for us to be the polar opposite, and idiot pgc supporters and pgc themselvescan blame the stupid greedy hunters of Pa all they like, thats not gonna solve one thing. In fact, the passing their own blame onto the hunters only adds to the disgust.

Unfortunately for pgc, more hunters are smarter than they give credit for. Smart enough to know the deal for what it is. Of course Pgc and its clown crew know this, but its much more advantageous for them to attempt to totally discredit any opposition.

Wanna fix it? Not gonna happen until the ecoextremists get out of wildlife management in our agency. Idiot extremists tried taking over the direction of management from hunters years ago (EVEN SHORTLY AFTER DEER WERE REINTRODUCED!!!!) saying deer were decimating the state and doom was emanent and the ecosystem on deaths doorway. Those well known heros of the "antideer conservationists" today, the bozo arse-clowns like Latham etc. got THROWN OUT by the hunters who were in the majority at the time and many decades later, the DOOM never came about. Well guess what fellas. The clowns are back, and not only that, they are in CONTROL.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will have to see about the new PR blitz about the new and improved PAGC before i would even attempt to reconcile w/ them. I remember being excited when a game protector showed up in the field. He always treated my Dad and us kids w/ respect and had a good tip for us. I never minded showing my license to them. Not anymore, I stay in the woods on my property and away from roads. They have turned sportsman off by police tatctics and general attitude toward the people that provide a pay check to them. You think your clubs and screaming and hollering mean a thing to someone NOTelected into a position?? C'mon??These guys are a direct handful of picked reperesentatives who have played ball w/ the elected glitterati! This police state attacks they have used and are using is terrible and i beleive irreversible for the general hunting public guys that get out a couple times a year. When you can't get treated decently by the Game Police, you just quit exposing yourself to the harassment.
I do not have as yet have a major deer problem in 2D. We are proacticve in maintaining herds on our grounds. I do not depend on the PAGC to help us work our deer. Protect our deer. We have instituted our own QDM. We have posted 1,000's of acres and it keeps expanding everytime the PAGC shows up and harasses a land owner or his family. We cannot leagally keep them out, but they know for sure they are not welcome, ever! We quit bitching and took care of ourselves, educated ourselves and are keeping all types of the wildlife healthy in our grounds.

Quick Reply: A better relationship with our PGC? How?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.