Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maryland Hunting >

Maryland Hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland Hunting

Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 PM

Default Maryland Hunting

What do you all think about Maryland deer hunting. Does anyone hunt in Howard County? How do they compare to other places to hunt?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Maryland Hunting

ORIGINAL: ozfest5

What do you all think about Maryland deer hunting. Does anyone hunt in Howard County? How do they compare to other places to hunt?
i used to hunt montgomery county in 70s, the biggest buck i got was from there with a 24 inch spread on horns.

i saw over 60 bucks on that farm and many huge buck in my sisters driveway in OLNEY, MD.

my sister even got a 5 point horn stuck in her snowblower one winter.

she wanted the snow gone in her yard so he 3 boxers could play, bang, snow blower stopped and 1 horn was caught in the auger.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Montgomery County Maryland is the number 1 Boone & Crockett producing county on the east coast. I used to be right in the thick of it 17 years ago. Sadly where I hunted is now a development and getting permission to hunt somewhere now is next to impossible. I blew a chance at a 180+ buck too, that buck would have got me on the cover of a magazine or two.

Howard county has some big ones, but good luck getting permission to hunt them. Is the Tridelphia Lake in Howard? I heard there is some good bowhunting near that lake.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WestVirginiaBrent

Montgomery County Maryland is the number 1 Boone & Crockett producing county on the east coast. I used to be right in the thick of it 17 years ago. Sadly where I hunted is now a development and getting permission to hunt somewhere now is next to impossible. I blew a chance at a 180+ buck too, that buck would have got me on the cover of a magazine or two.

Howard county has some big ones, but good luck getting permission to hunt them. Is the Tridelphia Lake in Howard? I heard there is some good bowhunting near that lake.
you are right, the farmers sold land for $80,000 a acre to realtors and homes are everywhere now
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sproulman

you are right, the farmers sold land for $80,000 a acre to realtors and homes are everywhere now
I was 16 years old and had a great little spot in a place called Boyd's near Sugarloaf mountain. It was about 100 acres and had a 20 acre wooded patch right in the middle. The patch was full of deer, so much so that you had to get there super early or you would kick every deer in there over to the neighboring property.

I got in there for bow season, started rattling and called an smaller 8 point within 10 yards of me. I drew back, was right on him, feeling all the confidence in the world. I released and a briar 3 feet in front of that deer deflected my arrow right above his back and he booked. So I hunted a little while longer and saw nothing.

I was exiting the woods, dejected as all get out for yet another Murphy's moment while bowhunting. I was walking along the edge of the woods and was just about to cut across the field to my car when I placed an arrow into my quiver. When it made a "click" noise I heard all kinds of hell break loose 15 yards below me. I look over the bank and there was an absolute monster of a 10 point jumping out of a rusted Willy. It was bedded down in between the frame rails just 15 yards below me. He ran down to the bottom of the woods and stood there broadside looking at me, at this point he was about 75 yards away. He could have went 2 ways, I had permission to hunt only 1 of the ways so i collected myself and tried to find a good spot above a trail in the direction I had permission to hunt. He never showed up, I assume he went onto the neighbors land.

I don't know what the Maryland typical record is but I bet I would have been damn close with that buck. He was every bit 180, and I couldn't see a flaw at all on the antlers. He had at least a 24" spread, nice eye guards and at least 4 tines well over 12 inches. All these years have passed and I can still remember that buck like yesterday. Hell, I may even draw a pic of it this weekend and post it.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

I was 16 years old and had a great little spot in a place called Boyd's near Sugarloaf mountain. It was about 100 acres and had a 20 acre wooded patch right in the middle. The patch was full of deer, so much so that you had to get there super early or you would kick every deer in there over to the neighboring property.

I got in there for bow season, started rattling and called an smaller 8 point within 10 yards of me. I drew back, was right on him, feeling all the confidence in the world. I released and a briar 3 feet in front of that deer deflected my arrow right above his back and he booked. So I hunted a little while longer and saw nothing.

I was exiting the woods, dejected as all get out for yet another Murphy's moment while bowhunting. I was walking along the edge of the woods and was just about to cut across the field to my car when I placed an arrow into my quiver. When it made a "click" noise I heard all kinds of hell break loose 15 yards below me. I look over the bank and there was an absolute monster of a 10 point jumping out of a rusted Willy. It was bedded down in between the frame rails just 15 yards below me. He ran down to the bottom of the woods and stood there broadside looking at me, at this point he was about 75 yards away. He could have went 2 ways, I had permission to hunt only 1 of the ways so i collected myself and tried to find a good spot above a trail in the direction I had permission to hunt. He never showed up, I assume he went onto the neighbors land.

I don't know what the Maryland typical record is but I bet I would have been damn close with that buck. He was every bit 180, and I couldn't see a flaw at all on the antlers. He had at least a 24" spread, nice eye guards and at least 4 tines well over 12 inches. All these years have passed and I can still remember that buck like yesterday. Hell, I may even draw a pic of it this weekend and post it.
he is hanging on my garage