Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Maryland Bear Hunting >

Maryland Bear Hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland Bear Hunting

Old 01-27-2002, 09:49 AM

Default Maryland Bear Hunting

The MD. assembly has listened to testimony and arguments about hunting black bears in western MD. A bill was proposed to have a lottery so that 25 bears would be taken by experienced hunters and the bears can only be adult males. How close do you have to get? The law was proposed because there are about 300 bears in Garrett county that are wreaking havoc on the property because they are not afraid of people. Houses have been entered by bears and many sheep have been killed by bears in Garrett. Last year at least 2 bears were killed one attacked a sheep and the other attacked a dog. Bears have also been hit by cars. Also tree huggers testified that they were more afraid of hunters in the woods than they were of the bears. Our gov. would probably never allow bear hunting no matter what the vote was anyway until a bear kills someone. But if we get the bear lotto I would be the first to apply.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maryland Bear Hunting

We have the same problem hear in NJ. We got our bear hunt cancelled last year and we had some bad incidents this past year involving bears. So I think this year we will finally get a chance at a black bear season.

Brian
Old 01-27-2002, 07:03 PM
RNZ

Its sounds like you're really having a problem with the growing bear problem in MD. I hope that some year they give you a bear hunting season. That idea of only shooting adult males could be a bit tricky though. Unless the bear is huge, or you can see the privates, a 200 lb. bear could be either a male or female w/o cubs. Good Luck
Old 01-27-2002, 07:48 PM

The bill (HB10) does not state 25 males. DNR is to establish the numbers. Currently some people are using the 3S rule: shoot em, shovel em and shut up about it.
I'm hearing more and more stories about bears following hunters dragging out deer or of bears that come in right after a deer is gutted out. It only a matter of time before someone is hurt.
The one thing I don't like about this bill is that a season will be held only after the bear numbers excede the carrying capacity. To prevent a season DNR could give a high number.
Our Governor has stated that there will be no hunt as long as he is in office even though the state biologists and the wildlife advisory board both agreed we need one.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:45 AM
ARO

you want a bear hunt in maryland, get glendening out of office, thats the only way it will happen!!!!

ARO

www.hunting-pictures.com/members/ARO/2001.html
Old 01-30-2002, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would love the opportunity to hunt bears in MD. I and my turkey hunting companions have seen them during the spring season. However, with our hunter-hating governor in a liberal run state (and PETA headquarters in Montgomery County) our chances aren't good. When Spendening's reign of terror finally ends, they want to impose kennedy-townsend as the new "queen." Elect Bob Ehrlich (he hunts deer on APG). He's our best chance.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:38 PM

Being a Garrett Co resident, I must say that this anti bear season is load of BS! There really should be a season! The bear population up here is exploding. The DNR estimated the population to be like 600 bears, but in actuality many think it is more like 1000! 2001, bears seem to really be on the move, and incresed sightings of them have been happening. I almost smacked a big bruin on RT 68 below Keysers ridge during the summer. I had to lock up the brakes on my car to avoid hitting it. My bro who also lives in Garrett Co., has one that regularly visits his yard. His wifes bird feeder has been repeatadly bent (its hung on a metal post!)and raveged, as well as his blueberrys eaten. DNR claims that we should avoid, putting out these kinds of stuff. What next will the DNR tell us not to go outside anymore? The next thing they'll do is to hire sharpshooters, pay them an astronomical amount instead of gaining revenue, by allowing responsible hunters, have a limited hunt.(Maryland government has done this to clear deer in new developments, which cost over 100,000 dollars, per area,courtesy of your tax dollars!!) The incidents I spoke of, of bear sightings that I and my family has seen, is just a drop in the bucket, theres been plenty more of incidents in which weve seen them. I agree with what someone said above, get rid of that idiot Glendenning! I know one thing if Maryland opens a limited bear season, I'll be the first to apply! Hopefully Garrett Co, residents will get first dibs!
Old 01-30-2002, 09:25 PM

DNR has a double standard on bears in that if its east of Braddick Mt. its a menace and gets shot but, if its west of the moutain then we're told we have to learn to live with nature.

In the Hagerstown newspaper last week Mr. Peditto mentioned the state's new bear policy for nuisance bears. "We take them to the Pennsylvania line and face them in that direction," he said.

Old 02-02-2002, 09:53 AM

I hope this spring or fall there will be a Bear hunt... I will apply... I live in NJ and our new Gov doesn't hunt... and they are talking about keeping it closed for a nother 5yrs...BUMMER... just wait till a small kid gets really hurt till they open it up... bring on the bear hunts... I am going to write my Gov and I think everyone should write theres and tell Him/Her to open up Bear Hunting in there State...

Live to Hunt.....Hunt to Live
NAHC & BuckMaster Member
Old 02-02-2002, 12:39 PM

I got this from NAHC News...What do you think is worse no bear hunt, the break-up of your Fish and Wildlife Comm. or give HSUS $95,000.

New Jersey Bill Would Ban Bear Hunting, Fund Anti’s

Sportsmen’s rights and scientific wildlife management would be dealt a damaging blow if New Jersey Assembly Bill 479 (AB 479) becomes law.

AB 479, sponsored by Assemblyman Christopher Bateman (R-NJ), would ban black bear hunting in New Jersey for five years, and would hand over $95,000 to the Humane Society of the United States, the nation’s largest animal-rights organization. Finally, AB 479 would strip wildlife management authority from the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife by mandating that only the state’s Governor or the legislature can issue a permit to take a black bear.

New Jersey Sportsmen: Contact the state Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources at (609) 624-1222 or (609) 292-7676 to voice your opposition to AB 479.

Quick Reply: Maryland Bear Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.