Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa deer season

Old 12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pa deer season

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

This past summer back in August while up in the area to work on the cabin roof a buddy and I did a little spotting just after dark around the Keating MT areain W. Clinton Co.....in the middle of the Sproul State forest.

In only 1hr's time checking 3 spots and some casual "speed spotting" back to the cabin we spotted 8 or 9 legal bucks with 4 of them easily breaking the 125" mark with one of those a serious 140"+ 10pt bruiser that about popped my eyes out. Impressive deer even for a guy who hunts the midwest.[:-]
Lotsof does too.

I sure hope nobody kills them all this week since they are the last remaining deer in 2G.

I hope to make it up there Friday and Saturday because I know where to start looking anyway.
my friend burt hunted keating mtn in early gun season in oct.

he saw 1 buck and 1 doe.

he did not get a deer.

i also hunted the area and saw only 1 doe.

not questioning your sighting but i know of no one that is seeing deer there other than you.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I hunted 2B monday, you know the unit filled with trophy bucks and millions of deer.

AllI saw was a small spike around 730 AM. I think sproul put a voo-doo curse on me[8D]

Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: germain

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: WillCz

Shot my biggest(outof 20)PA buck on SGL in 4c on October 4. Will not and did not get a doe tag. Probably should have and just kept it away from others.

Went scounting with my Bro y-day and saw a lot of good buck sign. Wishing I could be there but when that big boy came in the first day at 25 yds it was too easy to shoot.

Good luck to everybody. Have fun.

Weather looks ok for 4c.
i passed on nice buck because there was laural in front of his shoulder and he was at 33 yards with wind blowing.

monday, there will be 150 hunters for week in that area after him, that was only buck i saw for 4 weeks of archery in western clinton county.

i am hoping the doe hunters do not come back on saturday to kill what doe we have left.

i just cant understand why with great doe hunting near their homes down south of pa that they come here to 2G and kill a doe.

they also get a DMAP tag to kill a few more here too.[:@]

WEATHER is awful here in clinton county right now, roads are frozen,HIGH WINDS,SLEET/RAIN.

its calling for same on monday.

there is weather alert for clinton until 2 am.

sproul,there's good doe hunting in the south because it's all posted.The SGL's around here are like a barren waste land.And that's why they head north.
i agree, i hunted SGL 252 at williamsport area and never saw any deer poo or deer.

best HABITAT for deer you will ever see.

this is why i disagree with RSB when he says that habitat is reason for no deer.

reason is, DMAP TAGS,EXCESSIVE DOE TAGS,TOO MANY SEASON ON DOE,COYTOTES/BEARS.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 PM

sproulman,

I remember when sgl 252 was the cats behind for deer hunting. Crazy how things changed in a matter of a few short years. You are exactly right, good habitat, no great habitat, and few deer. Something really needs done about doe hunting on some of the SGL's.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

IDK whats going on, here in 2D i was out yesterday on my buddies farm and saw about 15 including 2 buck a basket 8 and scrub 5 but was unable to get a shot on the 8.

Then today i go out to another farm a bit closer to campus since i had class, and even did some drives and not a single deer, i saw them there in archery so idk what happened monday and tuesday but there was no trace of whitetail on this property.

This evening i went to hunt yellow creek and saw tons of deer sign just no deer, found an old drag from yesterday it looked like as there was some frozen blood in the mark. The highlight was cutting fresh bear track tho so atleast i know a decent bear made it through the season.

Best of luck the rest of the way through guys, im gonna do my best to get a buck but i hope im not pi$$in in the wind
Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went out in 3c first 3 days seen 1 buck 730 monday 3 doe later tues few doe today 0 anyone else in 3c seeing deer
Old 12-04-2008, 05:01 AM

IM from 3-c and seen 2 4pts 10 doe. not hearing alot of shooting.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted 2 days in 3c and saw 2 buck and 25 doe.One of the bucks was a decent 8 point.I was really surprised at the amount of shooting whereni was considering it was buck only.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted 3c the first 2 days and saw 25 doe and 2 buck.One of them was a decent 8 point which i shot.I was surprised at the amount of shooting considering it was bucks only.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: absolut40

I hunted 3c the first 2 days and saw 25 doe and 2 buck.One of them was a decent 8 point which i shot.I was surprised at the amount of shooting considering it was bucks only.
here in clinton county they have DMAP TAGS.

they are only to be used in certain areas.

i heard close to 50 shots in my area,no way they were shooting at buck.

i saw camps that hunters were leaving that had DMAP tags on doe ears.

oh, i forgot, they shot them in the DMAP AREAS[:@]

Quick Reply: Pa deer season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.