Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 pa antler restrictions  yes or no? >

pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: pa antler restrictions yes or no?

PA hunter have turned into MEAT hunters, they won't hunt a WMU unless they have an antlerless tag for that area.

How you can take a harvest of 200,000 bucks to 100,000 and call it a success, is beyond me.

We had a four point to the side and antlers as wide as the ears restriction, on my property before PA made it a low. This is private land and we pratice most of the QDM, but that's where it belong, on private land.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has just changed the hunting camps ways, it has changed my ways of hunting. It doesn't matter what we think, it doesn't matter the herd is in the hands of the PAPGC to do with as they please. They can have all the public meetings they want. the agenda was decided and set before the public had a chance. So live w/ it.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:58 PM

get out of your truck for longer than it takes to go to the bathroom and maybe you will be able to get one.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has undisputably improved the quality of the bucks we see harvested.
But there is no evidence that it improved the quality of the 2.5+ bucks in the herd.
It's also been pretty well proven by extensive research that young bucks with smaller antlers are not inferior genetically but it's more likely that they were born later in their first year than the better racked young bucks
It has not been proven that 1.5 spike bucks are not inferior for the rate of antler development.All of the studies show that the average spike develops much slower in both body weight and antler development that the average 1.5 6 or 8 pt. and that is a very important point when so few of ur buck live to become 3.5 or 4.5 buck.
The best thing to come from AR was to start a change in the mindset of the average PA hunter. More and more hunters are drifting away from that idea of shooting the first thing with a bone on it's head to being willing to kick it up a notch.

There is no evidence to support that claim. Hunters are still shooting broken rack 3 pts. and scrub racked 1.5, 4 or 5 pts. and the average buck harvested still only has 7 points.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have a problem with the restrictions, I shot my last 4 pointer 20 years ago,but I do have a problem with the doe andBB harvest on public land.[:@]
Old 11-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deleted for skirting the profanity filter, violation of posting rule number 1.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Twisting things again. The studies have shown that late born buck fawns make up the vast majority of 1.5 spikes. They used to simply die their first year. Now they have a chance to grow a better set their second year and there is zero negative effect on the gene pool by letting that spike live to breed hi second year.
You are not telling the truth. The studies did not determine the age of the spike bucks to a degree that they could determine if they were late born or not. You are simply making things up to support your agenda.
Is there some link to the "evidence" for what I said? Nope! But if you'd get your a$$ off the computer chair and your head out of your thousands of homemade spreadsheets and charts and get out in the real world you would know better than to dispute that statement. Citing broken rack 3 points and scrub rack 4's and 5's to make your point shows how desperate you are to dispute anyhting that doesnt fit your negative agenda.

The simple fact is the PGC hasn't provided one iota of data that shows our 2.5+ buck are of any better quality than before ARs If they had that dat you can rest assure that it would be making headlines in the PGC press releases. After just 3 years of ARs NY released an extensive report on the results of ARs ,but our PGC hasn't released jack squat after 6 years. You are just blowing smoke like RSB and the PGC.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are not telling the truth. The studies did not determine the age of the spike bucks to a degree that they could determine if they were late born or not. You are simply making things up to support your agenda.
Uh, yes they did. Go do your homework!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

I like the restrictions. I also love seeing big buck!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is such a juvenile ploy I am a bit surprised even you would try and play it. The fact is Dr. Rosenberry admitted he didn't know if ARs increased or decreased the rack size of 2.5+ buck.Now here is a simple question for you. Do you know why Dr. R. made that statement?

Quick Reply: pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.