Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Bombay Hook NWR in Delaware >

Bombay Hook NWR in Delaware

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bombay Hook NWR in Delaware

Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bombay Hook NWR in Delaware

Anybody have any info on this place? How is the deer hunting there or adjacent to there?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Default RE: Bombay Hook NWR in Delaware

Well i have heard that there are monsters there, next post and i will give you a link to there site.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:36 PM

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/bombayhook/
i hope this helps
Old 10-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the link. I checked it out earlier today. I didn't see much on there describing how the hunting is, but did notice they have it there. I may get a chance to go hunt around there. I was wondering if anybody here had hunted it or knew somebody who has. I appreciate it though!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Better waterfowl hunting than deer. You will get eaten alive in there by the nasty mosqitos. Very wet.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:55 AM

My brother was stationed at Dover AFBfor a few years in the late eighties and hunted deer back inthere. He pulled in my driveway one day with a 'you know what'eating grin on his face. Holy crap. The guys at the check station down there said they hadn't seen one that big before. Bothbody size and rack wereheavy.He had it mounted. He just retired from the Air Force and moved back here from California[ Edwards AFB]. If it's not in storage I'll try to get a picture posted.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:01 AM

Chaz,

I have hunted Bombay a lot for waterfowl and it is outstanding, the deer hunting was great up until last year when the herd go hit by that midge fly carrying a virus. However, I think it has rebounded nicely from last year and there are some monsters in there. There is a drawing every morning you are allowed to hunt 1.5 hours before sunrise. If you name is drawn you then get to pick a numbered stand to hunt out of, It is a lot better if you know what stands are good.

Send me a pm and I can point you in the right direction with regards to stands that you should stay away from. This is a Federal wildlife refuge (not state) so the rules are very strict, but the place is kept up very nicely (planted fields, nice stands and blinds).

Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are some big ones there and they cross the roads and fields.. as I sit in my stand I look across the road at Bombay Hook. Thr guys I help on the farm own across the road, have hunted there for years, about 10 years or so ago I got a 10 pt field dressed 195.v actually it only counted as a 7 because part of the rack was shot off , either by me or someone else...Like Rick says prepare for the insects if it;s warm...