Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gut Hook?

Old 09-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gut Hook?

What do you use, and how do you sharpen your gut hooks?

Thanks Bryan
Old 09-24-2006, 09:23 AM

Default RE: Gut Hook?

I use a kershaw blade trader knife, one of the blades has a gut hook on it which works awesome. I have never sharpened the hook but i have a stone attachment for a drill that i think i could snake in there to sharpen it. If not i have a lifetime warranty on the knife so i could porbably take it back to tthe kinfe shop and get them to have a look at it.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:05 AM

My Buck knife has a gut hook. Don't know how I ever got along without one.
Buck sells (and recommends) the Wa****a Stone for honeing. I had to grind one side of the stone down on my bench grinder so it would fit. Now the hook is showroom sharp!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use "Knives of Alaska" Light hunter. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the original wyoming skinner when they first came out and use it about every year on elk or mulies and whitetail. It does the job zipper fast. It came with two blades that are removeable by two screws and I sharpen the blades on a stone and then on a set of crock sticks. I have never found a knife that had a gut hook that I actually liked. Either the handle, steel, or not user freindly. Theres a knife for every job and thats why I carry a whyoming skinner. You can't have one knife to do everything.

Bobby
Old 10-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I can agree with you about the fact that one knive can't do everything. That's why I hate Swiss Army Knives.(I always thought that the toothpick was cool though.)
Old 10-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kershaw blade trader is pretty much a 1 knife(handle at least) for everything. I have one as well I like it but I find the drop point doesn't hold a edge for a long period. The gut hook/skinneris a seperateblade-in a word LARGEbutfixed the problem I have with most gut hooks being to shallow to be useful(plug up way to easy on our deer and forget about them for moose or elk). This one no problem for any of the 3. Oddly unlike the drop point my skinner/guthook holds an edge awesome. I sharpenedthe gut hookonce with 400, 800 wet sand paper and a buffing attachment on my die grinder. The trader also comes with a saw blade, fillet/boning knife is seprate and really a whole kitchen knife set if you like.

As to the normal knife with a gut hook..no thanks. Ijust prefer using my 3.5" drop point forunzipping! Guess I just like "kickin' it old school"...[&:]
Old 10-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have gut hooks onsome of my knives,but most are dull.I have nothing small enough to sharpen them.
I like my traditonal knive with 4 inch blades.
BBJ
Old 10-11-2006, 12:48 AM

Mine has a lifetime warranty so I just sent d it back, but I bet a Dremmel tool with a fine enough bit followed by a really thin rod would do the trick.

-- FLIX