Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NYS bow hunting license >

NYS bow hunting license

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYS bow hunting license

Old 09-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NYS bow hunting license

No one said anything about relying entirely on common sense. Have a simple test that anyone can take to determine if they possess the knowledge to hunt safely. WHy must they sit through a useless course if they already have the knowledge?And sorry to burst your bubbles but there was a time in this country when their were no safety courses and every "yahoo" could buy a license yet despite that fact, we never had the "killing fields" of which youhave such a fear. Another issue is that this is archery. How can anyone reasonably state that someone who is qualified to go afield with a high powered rifleis not qualified to go afield with a bow? But don't let the facts stop you from ranting abouthow thereare just too many uneducated yahoos out there who we don't want hunting and giving us a bad name. Only problem I see is that I don't know where all these yahoos are andof the ones I do see, they already have hunting licenses. The only people who don't are the working middle class who don't have two weekends to waste taking an idiot class and who never grew up deerhunting. I have friends who are soldiers, hell even my father, and yet they can't legally shoot a bow at a deer. Like I said, give a test if you want but considering our numbers, any hurdle or barrier to entry into the sport is simply something we do not need even with your misplaced "good" intentions.

I could easily get 5 guys to buy licenses and simply come up to hunting camp for weekendjust so they could get away from their wives and relax and they would buy licenses and come every year,they wouldn't even need to shoot a deer exceptonce every few years to justify the expense but as soon as you talkabout the course, they think yeah, okay, but no one ever gets around to taking it. Hard to justify with the wife, hard to justify with myself. Hell,theoriginal poster is a prime example. He won;t be joining us this year and why? We certainly won't be "safer"without him, we will just be weaker as a group.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

But don't let the facts stop you from ranting about how there are just too many uneducated yahoos out there who we don't want hunting and giving us a bad name. Only problem I see is that I don't know where all these yahoos are and of the ones I do see, they already have hunting licenses. The only people who don't are the working middle class who don't have two weekends to waste taking an idiot class and who never grew up deerhunting.
Well, if they didn't grow up anywhere near deer this is even more reason they should learn a few things about them before they go out trying to shoot one. I know plenty of people who own guns and shoot them. Does this make them ready to go deer hunting? NOPE! Way more to the modern sport hunting than knowing how to shoot a gun. In all honesty some of these people who want to come along with you to hunt know JACK about it other than what you might tell them. I think some instruction from someone professionally trained is the better route. And yes, there was a time when one didn't need to take a course to get a hunting license, but hunting accidents have decreased dramatically since courses have become mandatory. So say what you want, but it has been proven that it's beneficial.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve863 - we cannot let facts get in the way of some guys who want to get away from thier wives thru hunting.

Apparently though they like their wifes enough so that making the commitment to become a hunter by taking a course and demonstrating a basic understanding of the choosen weapons and quarry is asking too much - they prefer their wifes company to that of an orange if it means working a bit for it.

And sorry to burst your bubbles but there was a time in this country when their were no safety courses and every "yahoo" could buy a license yet despite that fact, we never had the "killing fields" of which youhave such a fear.
And it used to be there was no bag limits or season.
Lot of things have changed -most for the better.
And as Steve863 pointed out, the accident has dropped since the "good ole days".

SteveBNY

Old 09-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just can't fathom why anyone would complain and even suggest that hunter numbers are dwindling because of hunter safety courses. Just doesn't make sense. Just because someone owns a gun and shoots it on occasion does not give him the right to go hunt animals he has probably never seen or knows absolutely nothing about. Some information on the animals and history behind modern hunting is a must in my opinion. With his thinking we might as well let the butcher at the meat department of your supermarket perform surgery on humans. Heck, he knows how to cut meat and is probably pretty good with a knife, what more experience does he need on the subject? He's a natural!!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good idea - might afford that knee replacement after all - my buther is a mechanic as well!

Steve
Old 09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

the bowhunter safety course is a good thing, when i took mine the instructor put a pic of a deer up on the board and asked where would you shoot this deer with a bow about 3 out of ten of the guy's said in the head????
Old 09-20-2008, 02:12 AM
Fork Horn

No one said the course is a bad idea. just that its too long. thats our opinions.. to each their own. i think the course is a good thing, but not 10 hours.. i mean common. especially when youve already taken the gun hunter safty course. they go over 90% the same thing. and why do they make the test impossible to fail? if there gonna give this 10 hour course.. make the test harder.. whey wont they make it harder? because the ones that fail wont spend $ on licenses, and they probably wouldnt bother taking the 10 hours course all over again, so then they lose a bow hunter license fee forever each year from each clown that didnt pass. so.. once again.. its all bull**** politics that these classes are here, and therfore they make the classes bull**** to begin with. im not saying the class sucked.. but didnt have to be 10 hours. any they have so few of them here in NY that its really hard to pick a class to take. for me a working man, that works weekends it took me 2 years to be able to take the class where it didnt interfier with work too much, i was just a few (2) hours late to work.
but i finally got that damn class overwith!

Old 09-20-2008, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

Hey guys....it does suck and I don't agree with it, but it is the law. Forget about getting anything changed in this liberal state. I know they havean online class for gun, check to see if they have one for bow.Then you only have to sit through a few hour class instead of the normal 12.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

they could cover it all in 3 hours, thats for sure...
Old 09-21-2008, 03:09 AM
Fork Horn

Reading over the whole thread and seeing some of the inane responses such as comparing it to surgery or that my post is ignorant, or that it really doesn't affect people, consider the following. Every year we hand out little books to people, who can then read it at their leisure and we then give them a 15 minute test. If they pass we then give them a little piece of paper called a learner's permit and hand over to them the most dangerous piece of equipment in America, the automobile, andthey are given free rein to operate these vehicle during daylight hours where they proceed tokill and or maimthousands of people. If all you need to drive a car is a 15 minute test how can any of you think that such a test would notqualify someone to bow hunt where the greatestdanger you pose is to yourself. Certainly we have reached the stage where we can have a test that determines if you know when it is safe to release an arrow or even to make sure you use a harness in a treestand. For all of you PC folks out there we can even include a portion to determine if they know where to hit a deer or not to carry a deer on the hood of your car for fear of offending someone even though this has nothing to do with general safety of the populace. Maybe we could even include a part with actual laws like the fact that it is illegal to use barbed broadheads.Just imagine all of this could be done, the hunters would be just as qualified as they are now, and you wouldn't have to waste 12 hours, just schedule a 15 minute test.While normal people demand such timesaving things, and get them, (as we see even with dangerous activities like driving), you guys have swallowed thebull** so deep that you actually believe it.
Remember Animal House, as they wack that guy with the paddle and he says"Thank you sir may I have another". Thats all I can think of listening to you guys. End of topic for me. Take care all and wish everyone a good season.

Quick Reply: NYS bow hunting license

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.