HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NYS bow hunting license
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 12:48 PM
nyorange
Fork Horn

Default RE: NYS bow hunting license

No one said anything about relying entirely on common sense. Have a simple test that anyone can take to determine if they possess the knowledge to hunt safely. WHy must they sit through a useless course if they already have the knowledge?And sorry to burst your bubbles but there was a time in this country when their were no safety courses and every "yahoo" could buy a license yet despite that fact, we never had the "killing fields" of which youhave such a fear. Another issue is that this is archery. How can anyone reasonably state that someone who is qualified to go afield with a high powered rifleis not qualified to go afield with a bow? But don't let the facts stop you from ranting abouthow thereare just too many uneducated yahoos out there who we don't want hunting and giving us a bad name. Only problem I see is that I don't know where all these yahoos are andof the ones I do see, they already have hunting licenses. The only people who don't are the working middle class who don't have two weekends to waste taking an idiot class and who never grew up deerhunting. I have friends who are soldiers, hell even my father, and yet they can't legally shoot a bow at a deer. Like I said, give a test if you want but considering our numbers, any hurdle or barrier to entry into the sport is simply something we do not need even with your misplaced "good" intentions.

I could easily get 5 guys to buy licenses and simply come up to hunting camp for weekendjust so they could get away from their wives and relax and they would buy licenses and come every year,they wouldn't even need to shoot a deer exceptonce every few years to justify the expense but as soon as you talkabout the course, they think yeah, okay, but no one ever gets around to taking it. Hard to justify with the wife, hard to justify with myself. Hell,theoriginal poster is a prime example. He won;t be joining us this year and why? We certainly won't be "safer"without him, we will just be weaker as a group.