Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa Game Comm. Overhaul >

Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Old 10-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Banned

Default RE: Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

I am ready, I will spend $125 to hunt in Ohio next year and say screw continuing to fund this current commission. But really, How many others are willing to do the same? Will it even matter, the current lack of sales doesn't seem to concern them enough to take more pro-active measures. Their answer... raise the cost of licensesand punish the remaining hunters they have.
I like traveling around to different areas of the state each year to hunt. I try to pick out a new state forest or state gameland each year, and spend the third week of October hunting. This year, I decided to see what all the hoopla was all about in WMU 2G. I secured a 2G doe tag, along with a 3A doe tag. I stayed at a motel in Colten Point, just outside of Wellsboro. I hunted the Tioga State Forest in several different places, along with SGL 64 west of the town of Galeton.

I like to walk. I put on alot of miles in search of deer sign from last Saturday to yesterday. I found a little in the Tioga State Forest. Not much. During the 4 days that I hunted in various areas of the state forest, I never jumped a deer. Never heard a deer bolting or blowing. Never seen a hair.

SGL 64 was a little different. I found a bit of deer sign, and actually jumped a deer on the last day that I hunted it.

I found very few scrapes, 3 buck rubs and not a single bed in either location the entire time I was there. I can see why people are upset. The deer numbers, at least in the areas I hunted, are ridiculous.

Now I'm not sour because I feel the PGC owes me a deer. I'm not sour because I didn't kill a deer. I'm not sour at all. But I am above wasting my time in an area that should hold more deer than it does.

One night, while walking out of SGL 64 in the dark after spending the entire day hiking around looking for deer sign, I contemplated pulling my license and doe tags out of my license holder and ripping them up and sending them to Roxanne Palone to use as toilet tissue. But I'm above that. I think I will just hang on to them, frame them, and hang them above my desk as a reminder of what happens when special interest group infiltrate a wildlife management agency.

Next year, instead of picking out a different area of the state, I'll just pick another state. What these people have done is unforgivable. They'll not get another penny from me.

*Sidenote edit: I did see more then several deer in the no hunting zone of Colton Point SP. What a beautiful area.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: bluebird2

As far as hunters quitting b/c of having to use a single shot weapon. ????? My opinion is this and I said it before.... if you need more than one shot to impact a vital area you should be on the range not in the woods or you shouldn't take the shot.

That is a very niave position with little relation to reality. How many archery deer are lost because they only have one shot? How many deer are missed on the first shot and killed on the second shot?

How many deer have you missed during archery and have them stand within rangefor a second shot?
With the rifle I have Never missed the first shot. And if you do miss it isn't the weapons fault. Preparation prior to going into the woods to make sure your weapon is in working order is the most basic of responsibilities we as hunters owe to the game we pursue.
Furthermore how many of these archery shot deer are lost not b/c of only one shot but rather b/c the person gives up too soon and neglects their responsibility to make every effort possible to recover their kill? Some are unrecoverable but it is a small percentage and definitely no higher than deer lost in rifle season.

The PGC would never get the harvests they need to control the herd if hunters were limited to in lines.

This idea of having to meet quotas would be legit if the percentages were reasonable. As it is right now the deer population from what I and alot of others on here is seeing is below the PaGC's estimates.

I have seen aerialheat signature photos. In an area encompassing 5 square miles in what is considered healthy deer habitat only21 heat sources were detected. Of those 3 were bears that had been stocked by the PAGC this past year. How many were actually deer?

I think mostof us (and I thought you included) considered the PAGC's methods of "controlling" the herd as being ineffective when the results are apparent in most of the state. If you meant "control" as being overkill then I would say they are very efficient.

[quoteConsider this.. In states like Ohio, "rifle" season is far shorter than ours but the archery season lasts straight through to February. Even with not having a high powered rifle season there is still more hunting opportunity than here.

More hunting opportunities for only one class of hunter, the class that is the least effective at controlling the herd.

Exactly what this state needs right now.Not (for only one class of hunter) but less deer allocations being filled.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

I have had the same experience as you. This year has been the worst yet. Weird thing is there are so few deer in the area I live in and hunt yet the PAGC's attempted harvest last year fell far below what they wanted. The corn and soybean fields haven't been touched other than very light browsing.Having beenunable to have this set number of deer killed during the prior year we should havean abundance ofdeer this year. It's just not the case.

In an area as unpopulated as where I live and with the amount of wooded areas the hunting should be decent. I know of 3 doe having been shot and now the buck count is up to 4 since the first day.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

How many deer have you missed during archery and have them stand within range for a second shot?
With the rifle I have Never missed the first shot. And if you do miss it isn't the weapons fault. Preparation prior to going into the woods to make sure your weapon is in working order is the most basic of responsibilities we as hunters owe to the game we pursue.
You may be the perfect hunter who always gets his deer to stand braodside in a clear shooting lane, but the PGC can't manage the herd or limit weapons based on the perfect hunters. Many of us prefer to actually pursue our deer rather than sit in a tree stand and ambush them. Under those conditions we don't have cleared shooting lanes and the deer are unlikely to present the perfect shot with no obstructions.
This idea of having to meet quotas would be legit if the percentages were reasonable. As it is right now the deer population from what I and alot of others on here is seeing is below the PaGC's estimates.

The answer to that problem is to reduce antlerless allocations rather than punishing the majority of hunters by banning centerfire rifles.
Exactly what this state needs right now. Not (for only one class of hunter) but less deer allocations being filled

We have more deer hunting opportunities than ever before , yet we have a lot of disgruntled hunters who want to see more deer rather than have more time in the woods watching the leaves drop.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FiveMiler

I am ready, I will spend $125 to hunt in Ohio next year and say screw continuing to fund this current commission. But really, How many others are willing to do the same? Will it even matter, the current lack of sales doesn't seem to concern them enough to take more pro-active measures. Their answer... raise the cost of licensesand punish the remaining hunters they have.
I like traveling around to different areas of the state each year to hunt. I try to pick out a new state forest or state gameland each year, and spend the third week of October hunting. This year, I decided to see what all the hoopla was all about in WMU 2G. I secured a 2G doe tag, along with a 3A doe tag. I stayed at a motel in Colten Point, just outside of Wellsboro. I hunted the Tioga State Forest in several different places, along with SGL 64 west of the town of Galeton.

I like to walk. I put on alot of miles in search of deer sign from last Saturday to yesterday. I found a little in the Tioga State Forest. Not much. During the 4 days that I hunted in various areas of the state forest, I never jumped a deer. Never heard a deer bolting or blowing. Never seen a hair.

SGL 64 was a little different. I found a bit of deer sign, and actually jumped a deer on the last day that I hunted it.

I found very few scrapes, 3 buck rubs and not a single bed in either location the entire time I was there. I can see why people are upset. The deer numbers, at least in the areas I hunted, are ridiculous.

Now I'm not sour because I feel the PGC owes me a deer. I'm not sour because I didn't kill a deer. I'm not sour at all. But I am above wasting my time in an area that should hold more deer than it does.

One night, while walking out of SGL 64 in the dark after spending the entire day hiking around looking for deer sign, I contemplated pulling my license and doe tags out of my license holder and ripping them up and sending them to Roxanne Palone to use as toilet tissue. But I'm above that. I think I will just hang on to them, frame them, and hang them above my desk as a reminder of what happens when special interest group infiltrate a wildlife management agency.

Next year, instead of picking out a different area of the state, I'll just pick another state. What these people have done is unforgivable. They'll not get another penny from me.

*Sidenote edit: I did see more then several deer in the no hunting zone of Colton Point SP. What a beautiful area.

FINALLY i see hope, i see hope because you and others are telling it like i am seeing it in wmu2g clinton county,pa.

here is how hunters are hunting now.

if you want a deer ,you have to cover terrirtory,i dont mean WALKING.

all the hunters i see that are getting deer, like now are ROAD HUNTING .

they are covering roads from 6 am to 6 pm ,day in day out.

i see iteverytime i go out grouse hunting, same vehicles riding road after road.

yes, THEY ARE GETTING DEER,but are covering ,i bet over 60 miles per day riding.

sad thing is, when i look in truck, there sits kids 12/16 years old.guns ready to stick out window.

BUT thats only way you are going to score...........

sproulhas spoken.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 4evrhtn

I have had the same experience as you. This year has been the worst yet. Weird thing is there are so few deer in the area I live in and hunt yet the PAGC's attempted harvest last year fell far below what they wanted. The corn and soybean fields haven't been touched other than very light browsing.Having beenunable to have this set number of deer killed during the prior year we should havean abundance ofdeer this year. It's just not the case.

In an area as unpopulated as where I live and with the amount of wooded areas the hunting should be decent. I know of 3 doe having been shot and now the buck count is up to 4 since the first day.

this is worst year so far here in clinton county,pa. than ole sproul has ever seen.

very few nice bucks, last 2 years, i was seeing nice bucks, not this year.

i blame it on all what we talk about.

too much doe killing, no fawns do to doe killing and coyotes/bears.

folks, this is worst i have seen ever in my life here in wmu2g of clinton county,pa.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

How many deer have you missed during archery and have them stand within rangefor a second shot?
You may be the perfect hunter who always gets his deer to stand braodside in a clear shooting lane, but the PGC can't manage the herd or limit weapons based on the perfect hunters. Many of us prefer to actually pursue our deer rather than sit in a tree stand and ambush them. Under those conditions we don't have cleared shooting lanes and the deer are unlikely to present the perfect shot with no obstructions.

I hunt every methodwith the exception of lining 20 guys up to push deertowards standersso they can fill tagsfor the group. I take shots based on what i am comfortable with. I know my limitations and I do not shoot beyond them. If that makes me perfect in your eyes I am flattered, Thank You!
If the shot is more than likely to wound the deer I will not take it. So you are right I don't shoot through obstructions because I know the likelihood of killing that deer efficiently is poor. If every hunter took risky shots like you confess doing the game commission probably is accomplishing their kill ratio, just most those deer are left to run off and die never to be claimed or reported.

Ex. Dir. Roe should thank you personally for helping to reduce the herd if this is how you hunt.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If every hunter took risky shots like you confess doing the game commission probably is accomplishing their kill ratio, just most those deer are left to run off and die never to be claimed or repo
I never said I took risky shots , you just jumped to that conclusion. I simply pointed out that not everyone is as lucky as you to enough deer that they can pass on anything but the perfect shot. Furthermore,some hunters actually get excited when they have an opportunity and might actually make a mistake and need a second shot.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

I understand . Since we are clearing things up... I never said anything about a perfect shot. There have been times that the deer had been quartering toward me, moving, etc. I have been shooting since I have been big enough to hold a weapon and I shoot often. I shoot my bow all year round and same goes for the gun. I take pride in my accuracy and with the rifle (when target shooting) I practice at 200 to 300 yds plus, not that I will ever likelyshoot that far in Pa but it makes the closer shots easier. Same goes for practicing at 40 and 50 yds with the bow ( never will I shoot that far) but it makes 20 yd shots easy.

And further more your assumption that Isee enough deer to pass up on anything but the perfect shot is completely fallacious. If you are seeing even less deer than I am (which I doubt)it makes more sense to be as certain as possible that your shot will result in a clean kill. Don't want to wound deer where few deer are to be found. If I saw so many deer I would have never started this thread. I wouldn't have any reason to express discontent over the management of Pa's deer population.

I think we got off subject. Thanks for expressing your thoughts on the "inline season" idea.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since we are clearing things up... I never said anything about a perfect shot. There have been times that the deer had been quartering toward me, moving, etc.
So are you now saying you don't always wait for the best shot like a lot of other guys?

Quick Reply: Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.