HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pa Game Comm. Overhaul
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 10:58 AM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

[quote]ORIGINAL: bluebird2

As far as hunters quitting b/c of having to use a single shot weapon. ????? My opinion is this and I said it before.... if you need more than one shot to impact a vital area you should be on the range not in the woods or you shouldn't take the shot.

That is a very niave position with little relation to reality. How many archery deer are lost because they only have one shot? How many deer are missed on the first shot and killed on the second shot?

How many deer have you missed during archery and have them stand within rangefor a second shot?
With the rifle I have Never missed the first shot. And if you do miss it isn't the weapons fault. Preparation prior to going into the woods to make sure your weapon is in working order is the most basic of responsibilities we as hunters owe to the game we pursue.
Furthermore how many of these archery shot deer are lost not b/c of only one shot but rather b/c the person gives up too soon and neglects their responsibility to make every effort possible to recover their kill? Some are unrecoverable but it is a small percentage and definitely no higher than deer lost in rifle season.

The PGC would never get the harvests they need to control the herd if hunters were limited to in lines.

This idea of having to meet quotas would be legit if the percentages were reasonable. As it is right now the deer population from what I and alot of others on here is seeing is below the PaGC's estimates.

I have seen aerialheat signature photos. In an area encompassing 5 square miles in what is considered healthy deer habitat only21 heat sources were detected. Of those 3 were bears that had been stocked by the PAGC this past year. How many were actually deer?

I think mostof us (and I thought you included) considered the PAGC's methods of "controlling" the herd as being ineffective when the results are apparent in most of the state. If you meant "control" as being overkill then I would say they are very efficient.

[quoteConsider this.. In states like Ohio, "rifle" season is far shorter than ours but the archery season lasts straight through to February. Even with not having a high powered rifle season there is still more hunting opportunity than here.

More hunting opportunities for only one class of hunter, the class that is the least effective at controlling the herd.

Exactly what this state needs right now.Not (for only one class of hunter) but less deer allocations being filled.