Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PGC  burning sgl in pa. >

PGC burning sgl in pa.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC burning sgl in pa.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default PGC burning sgl in pa.

well, FINALLY pgc is waking up a littlle.

they are going to start BURNING the state game lands with NC group .

we have been asking, suggesting till we are blue in face that they do this to help game have feed.

now, if they can REDUCE the doe/fawn killing on sgl land, that would be something.

we burn our land every 3 years in different spots and growth is amazing and does not hurt trees at all.

i corrected above do to info not correct,PGC will start this summer burning on sgl with the nature conservancy but legislation is not passed to do it state wide yet.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PGC burning sgl in pa.

Thank You State Reps!

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is encouraging news.Are there actual burns planned yet or have they just made it legally possible to do it in the future?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're off yourrocker Sproul.You really need to quit spreading these lies and misinformation.DCNR IS IN FAVOR OF DOING CONTROLLED BURNS AND HAS BEEN DOING SO FOR SEVERAL YEARS.I just got done walking through a burn 2 weeks aho with Bob Merrill,district foreseter for DCNR.I also walked through two other burns with him last fall.

Burns were never outlawed.The problem lies with the liability.In Pa,the guy that lights the latch can be held liabable if the the fire gets out of hand.

Burns do work but they have to be done when conditions are near perfect and they are very labor intensive.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

There's been a House Bill introduced to"permit" more burning for habitat improvement, but I wasn't aware it had even had a hearing yet, let alone been passed and signed into law?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

You're off yourrocker Sproul.You really need to quit spreading these lies and misinformation.DCNR IS IN FAVOR OF DOING CONTROLLED BURNS AND HAS BEEN DOING SO FOR SEVERAL YEARS.I just got done walking through a burn 2 weeks aho with Bob Merrill,district foreseter for DCNR.I also walked through two other burns with him last fall.

Burns were never outlawed.The problem lies with the liability.In Pa,the guy that lights the latch can be held liabable if the the fire gets out of hand.

Burns do work but they have to be done when conditions are near perfect and they are very labor intensive.

well, maybe you have forester that is in favor of this.

i have not heard of 1 controlled burn ,at least not on stateforestland,you are first.maybe others on here can post where and when DCNR did a controll burns for FEED FOR GAME.

where is this merril located and what is name of the forest he is in charge of.
i want to give this info to STATE REP MIKE HANNA.

douge, i attended many meeting over years, i suggested CONTROLLED BURNS ,i was given very dirty looks and even told,QUOTE,DONT YOU KNOW YOU WILL KILL THE LIZARDS.

douge, this is truth.those SAME people that made those comments over years are still there.

now, maybe things are changing.

lets hope.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DennyF

There's been a House Bill introduced to"permit" more burning for habitat improvement, but I wasn't aware it had even had a hearing yet, let alone been passed and signed into law?
denny,they call it PRESCRIBED BURNS.
it will be overseen by the PA PRESCRIBED FIRE COUNCIL,a group consisting of 22 agencies,pgc, ruff grouse boys,qdma.

PGC rep is PETE SUSSENBACH,NORTHEAST REGION.

12 pgc employees have already been trained.

they are going to burn 1 in CLINTON COUNTY on nature conservancy land in hyner,pa. area.they are going to burn laure

another PGC rep involved is KEVIN WENNER.

you are right, i am wrong on legislative part, i jumped gun .
before it can be done all over pa.legislation has to cover the liability issue for privatelandowners.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Several other states alreadyhave "prescribed fire councils" that consist of assorted state agencies and concernednon-govermentgroups.

I have not heard of any such entity actuallybeing formed in PA yet, although it has been the subject of some conferencesover the past year or so. Because I ain't heard of it yet, doesn't meanmuch, but it sure hasn't been publicized, if in fact it exists.

DCNR has in fact done a few small burns. One could probably find some info on their website.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

SGL 95 in butler co been burning...only grasses....but theyve been doing it.

not much fire work is done in PA....it is a great tool when used properly...

Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sproulman,Bob is the district forester for district 9(Moshannon state forest 814-765-0821).Have Hanna call him.He certainly could use a little education on habitat matters.They've done several burns over the past few years.In fact they even have several areas where they've done experimental burns combined with herbicide treatments for the US forest service.They day I went out with Bob,we were primarily looking at several big sites that Dr William Sharope from PSU had limed.There's alot of cool stuff being done.All one has to do is call to find out.I've never had a problem getting anyone from the PGC or DCNR taking me out in person to show me.

It's flat out B.S to say that DCNR doesn't want to do controlled burns.It's very risky with Pa's liability laws and it's very labor intensive.

What do you guys think these burns will accomplish?Be specific.

Quick Reply: PGC burning sgl in pa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.