Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA deer Quizz

Old 08-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA deer Quizz

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

None of those observations are part of the criteria the PGC uses to determine herd health. Maybe you should submit that data to the PGC and see if they agree with your observations.
Funny, I seem to remember that as being part of what the much maligned Dr Alt promised. It's also whats made the majority of hunters happy with the current management plan.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

But it has nothing to do with the health of the herd as defined by the PGC and that was the issue that was being discussed.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

But it has nothing to do with the health of the herd as defined by the PGC and that was the issue that was being discussed.
You mentioned herd health, I pointed out some valid herd health indicators. Why don't we allowthe other members to decide what is relevant.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob, I'll take: "all would be relevant", for $200 [8D]
Old 08-19-2008, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bluebird really thinks he is a rock star. Karaoke anyone??
Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

You mentioned herd health, I pointed out some valid herd health indicators. Why don't we allow the other members to decide what is relevant.
Everyone is free to decide for themselves if what you observed is relevant. But larger racks and the bigger body size of the bucks harvested is more a function of the fact that smaller bucks with smaller racks are protected , rather than due to an improvement in herd health.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

All I know is that my hunting is by far and away the best its ever been, and 10 times better than I ever thought possible here in PA. To go from seeing a true big buck, once every few years to seeing a couple of them each season is amazing.

And I’m not talking about in season sightings where bb2 would spin it that I was just getting better as a hunter, I’m talking about riding around the same spotlighting loop for the past 22 years. Back in the day we’d spot 2-3x a week and like I said see maybe 1-2 decent bucks each year and a true big buck once every 2-3 years. Now we see decent 2 yr olds on a regular basis, and there are a few monsters around each year and I get out spotting maybe ¼ of the times I used too.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter
You mentioned herd health
Hey, have you noticed the ribbons of fat in the belly lately when you gut a deer.
Do you notice that the deer look plump lately?
I always check out other deer at my butcher's place.
There are some real hogs lately, and not just the bucks either.
Relevant?

Will get spun as unhealthy probably, because the PA deer are now overweight and will all need Jenny Craig. [8D]
Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you explain why the increased weights you have observed haven't translated into higher breeding rates of fawns and higher productivity of adult doe?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you explain why the increased weights you have observed haven't translated into higher breeding rates of fawns and higher productivity of adult doe?
Another DILLIGAF post by deaddeer

Quick Reply: PA deer Quizz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.