Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA >

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Old 08-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

You just said it was 24% of the FAWN harvest in a previous post.
In 2007 the PGC said that BB were 24% of the antlerless harvest, not that 24% of the fawns harvested were BB.
I know exactly what the PGC said and also exactly what you said. Just another example of a quick word swapped here or a fact left out there to create yet another distortion.

I'm sure it's easy for you to get confused. It must be a huge job to try and remember what you said last when the story keeps changing. Of course, if you'd simply post the untwisted truth, you'd never have to double check on what you've said before
Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 2007 the PGC said 24% of the fawns harvested were BB. but in previous years the PGC stated that the fawn harvest was equally split between males and females. So were the hunters in 2007 targeting BB, or is the 24% harvest rate just an anomaly?
You are correct . I misspoke and I should have said 24% of the antlerless harvest was BB. But it still doesn't change the fact that in a stable herd,saving BB by not shooting fawns is a major mistake.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Spike

I personally wouldn't mind being able to use a crossbow from a time stand point. I have 2 young children and work a different shift than my wife. Last year is the first year I felt I had a legitimate chance to hit a deer with my bow because of a lack of time to practice. With a crossbow I would be less likely to wound a deer due to a mis-placed shot. I don't believe a new generation of hunters would run out and buy a $600 x-bow. I think a minority of current archers in my situation would consider making the switch, but I honestly probably wouldn't at this point as I feel I am proficent enough with my current bow. It's kinda like to each his own for me. Some traditionalist like recurve's only the same as some with compound etc...
Old 08-13-2008, 04:17 AM

Exactly Big Earl,these guys are blowing this thing out of proportion.Bickering among themselves,nit picking what everyone says even if they basically agrre with each other.I'm kind of glad they are going at each other like this.They are leaving other people alone.But they do seem happy in their own little minds.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeeze, you guys still debating and workingeach other to conspiracies of subverting the PAPGC (can't do what is already done) and if you think about it livbucks , Ohio is allowed ot hunt w/ Xbows so I'd imagine us being neighbors and all we would have more experience, comfort levels and yes input as we actually KNOW what a Xbow is and what a Xbow can do.In addition I pown cabnms and property in pA so I HAVE a say in the debate. BTB covers up for you and you still are not making coherent arguments. Yep. us Ohio Xbow hunters are taking over PA and all you guys in the Compound world are out baby! Maybe look at it as a positive and look at what Ohio has done to promote the stringed sports rather than your Oliver Stone fantasies. Probably some of iushave hunted in more than one spot and more than one state, have used multi[le hunting weapons and just might have had positive experiences from them. While you seem to be in this cloud of myths and "2 guys went ina bar w/ a Xbow...." stories. Big Earl makes an excellent point in the general stringed hunting population. Win 88 doeas as well in the overall thought processes of this 21 page protectionist document you have written. Your mindset towards Xbow is what will cost you in the long run. But, I gaurantee you will be salting your beer because this will be a reality/ Hell, If you were a true protester, you'd skip getting your bow license and sit in front of the PAPGC district offices w/ a sign arguing your point. I'm sure you could get all the other Bowyers to join and then when the PAPGC saw that you had made such a dent in their pockets w/ your protest they would ban all Xbows for life!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Earl,when Paallowed inlines to be used in the early muzzleloader season,howmuch did participation increase?How many guys went out and bought an inline that otherwise wouldn't have and that was just to kill a doe?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm all for what the majority wants, and what the resource needs,so let the GC do a poll of resident hunters and see what the HUNTERS want, and what the biologists see the need for, not a few manufacturers and vocal, out of state, proponents, looking to "Take over PA" as you say.
Your group's arrogance is really telling, and you show it so well.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are the archery and ML harvest numbers for 2F and 2G for 2007.
WMU 2F: firearms, 3,800 antlered, 5,900 antlerless; archery, 930 antlered, 390 antlerless; muzzleloader, 70 antlered, 810 antlerless;

WMU 2G: firearms, 4,500 antlered, 5,200 antlerless; archery, 560 antlered, 420 antlerless; muzzleloader, 40 antlered, 980 antlerless;
Now how many of those antlerless ML deer were harvested in the early season? probably not very many when you consider the visibility during the early season.

Furthermore, I doubt the archery buck kill would increase enough to make a difference if x-bows were legalized.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

Big Earl,when Paallowed inlines to be used in the early muzzleloader season,howmuch did participation increase?How many guys went out and bought an inline that otherwise wouldn't have and that was just to kill a doe?
I'm almost positive that the early season was all inclusive for BP from the beginning, so no increase can be measured in that case, because it was a complete increase from zero, as inlines had no season prior in PA, besides the general gun season that crossguns are currently permitted to participate in also.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Livbucks,l sarcasm? You don't understand sarcasm. The PAPGC is not owned by you, or the people of PA. It is built to respond to the concerns of HUNTERS, doesn't say PA residents only. The PAPGC sees nothing but $$ and doesn't care what the PA hunters wnat or listen to biologisst. Gawd, when did that start, listening to deer experts. Alt comes to mind. It is obvious PA should be looking at successful deer programs outside the state and purview of the pAPGC to try and salvage any hunting opportiunities left.I still see no reason to change my stance on Xbows inPA. You all have not been abloe ton articulate a single reason not to include Xbows full time. Of course you realize the Xbow was included in gun season to calm the fearsof the public in close proximity to hunting lands.......Ha, next you'll be complaining abut them wanting to outlaw CF's below I80 !

Quick Reply: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.