Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA >

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Old 08-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Bob, just imagine walking onto a property well before first light, that you have permission to hunt, ,that you grew up in those woods, and watch out for the elderly landowners, and see a Durango sitting with the doors wide open and nobody around. Then you proceed to your stand and see flashlights off in the woods. You go to your stand and after dawns comes, a duo appears under your stand and the scenario I related unfolds.
I was very fair to them. I asked that they finish out their hunt for the day, but please never return. It was after that they abandoned the trailing of the doe and to my complete and utter astonishment, went back to their spots and resumed hunting!!!!
We found out who they were after that, and sent an additional stern message that they never be caught on the property ever again.

Do you know why they were there?? They saw a nice 8-point cross the road there one night and arbitrarily decided to go hunt the property, without a care as to whether they were permitted to do so.
with crossbow,these type of people will do this, they cant do it will a recuve or compound.
now, i dont want to go into this as i have friends over on crossbow topic that asked that i dont tell what i see because it will hurt crossbow hunting .so ,i wont.

i do see a LOT of old FARTS,now dont jump on me, only adding a little humor gettinga doe and some got some real nice bucks last year in archery.

they have time to sit all day while others cant and go to work,so crossbow got them into woods and most gave up archery or never used bow before.

crossbow is getting more hunters into archery season, A LOT MORE.

they are getting a deer,for sure.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You want education, get it on the books. It is like the 3 day waiting period for a gun. I shoot multiple types of stringed weapons, I still have to practice, I still have to use woodsmanship and courtesy in the woods. When you start out a story in a discussion about 2 guys w/Xbows you have demonized the weapon not the people pulling the trigger or trigger release. You are demonizing the person behind the sights, whatever. It's the people not the weapon. Greg I assume does not have a clue if these guys practiced or what, he laid smack on the fact that they had Xbows! They were slob hunters, no matter what they carried and that detail did not come out until he restated the incident in his second capped email. No no aplogy because it was not a Xbow faulted incident it was slob hunters and his trying to tie that in w/ the hated Xbows and how they make people crazy in the woods. Please...... So what I can see is Hunters Ed for newcomers and were good to go, no restrictions of hunting dates and bow is a bow is a bow. Good luck w/those new fangled hunting bows, w/all the let off, scopes, sights, whiskers, pulleys titanium and whatever else makes it quicker, quieter and faster than my old Xbow. Before you start berating a hunting type, come w/ the facts not tales of "2 hunters and ?? bow", it affects us all!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck w/those new fangled hunting bows, w/all the let off, scopes, sights, whiskers, pulleys titanium and whatever else makes it quicker, quieter and faster than my old Xbow. Before you start berating a hunting type, come w/ the facts not tales of "2 hunters and ?? bow", it affects us all!
So what is your complaint about the ages old Xbow technology and your fairly new technology Compound bow, or is it someone came into your entitled area?????????? This is laughable , Bud!
I forgot to address this earlier. You are trying to portray the crossbow as a weapon that is somehow more traditional than a compound when indeed todays crossbows utilize all the technological advances of todays compounds.You've tried to make the pointthat a compound is no longer a primitive weapon. Well, neither is the crossbow and for that matter, even todays recurves and longbows are light years ahead of their forefathers in terms of efficiency, designand performance.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ha-ha-ha you copounders never quit do ya? See ya in the woods!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

You want education, get it on the books. It is like the 3 day waiting period for a gun. I shoot multiple types of stringed weapons, I still have to practice, I still have to use woodsmanship and courtesy in the woods. When you start out a story in a discussion about 2 guys w/Xbows you have demonized the weapon not the people pulling the trigger or trigger release. You are demonizing the person behind the sights, whatever. It's the people not the weapon. Greg I assume does not have a clue if these guys practiced or what, he laid smack on the fact that they had Xbows! They were slob hunters, no matter what they carried and that detail did not come out until he restated the incident in his second capped email. No no aplogy because it was not a Xbow faulted incident it was slob hunters and his trying to tie that in w/ the hated Xbows and how they make people crazy in the woods. Please...... So what I can see is Hunters Ed for newcomers and were good to go, no restrictions of hunting dates and bow is a bow is a bow. Good luck w/those new fangled hunting bows, w/all the let off, scopes, sights, whiskers, pulleys titanium and whatever else makes it quicker, quieter and faster than my old Xbow. Before you start berating a hunting type, come w/ the facts not tales of "2 hunters and ?? bow", it affects us all!
I have known Greg long enough here to say that I he is a fair and open minded guy. His story wasnt meant to attack the crossbow but to point out the worry that many of us share. That wholesale legalization of the crossbow could attract a substantial number of one day wonders or weekend warriors and damage a season that many of us worked very hard to get. I'm not convinced that the crossbow will cause a massive deer kill but I'm also not convinced that it will have no effect ina state where any additional hunting pressure from any o*****up will necessarily cause decreased opportunities for someone somewhere.

I'm leaning toward continuing toresist the crossbow until sufficient studies regarding their effect are done on the areas where they ae now legal and until we have mandatory, meaningful bowhunter education requirements in place.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Devices that hold aBOW at full draw are illegal in PA.
Now they want to permit a tool that not only holds the draw, but also shoulders as a gun and fires by trigger like a gun.
All it is, seems to me, is a big marketing ploy by the manufacturers.
I don't see a groundswell of demand by the hunters that I speak to.
I wouldn't be surprised if the vocal proponents on many of these forums were company reps.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, not a rep only wished i was. Could get to shoot the latest and greatest. Just a hard hunter who stinks like fox piss or skunk piss, and has a wife who won't get in the truck cause it smells like whe dows't know what. But Livucks, I hate it when people do anything possible to do what I don't know what w/ vague words. BTB stuck a good word for you, but generalized comments w/ no proof like this get me riled again. Good Luck to you and the minority, I'm tuning the Xbow and leaving the Compound in the safe this year. Anyone know of any Xbow organizations I can get my family and friends to join let me know. This is the kind of person your going to have to deal w/ in getting the right to hunt Xbow in 2008 latest 2009. BTB want me to apologize again for his generalization?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

BT just reminded me that bowhunters have left themselves wide open for the introduction of X-bows by harvesting 25 % of the buck harvest but only 16% of the antlerless harvest. The preseason antlered to antlerless ration is around 1 antlered to 3 or 4 antlerless ,yet archers only harvested 6050 more antlerless than buck. That means ,on average they passed on one heck of a lot of antlerless deer while waiting for that AR legal buck.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

BT just reminded me that bowhunters have left themselves wide open for the introduction of X-bows by harvesting 25 % of the buck harvest but only 16% of the antlerless harvest. The preseason antlered to antlerless ration is around 1 antlered to 3 or 4 antlerless ,yet archers only harvested 6050 more antlerless than buck. That means ,on average they passed on one heck of a lot of antlerless deer while waiting for that AR legal buck.
40% or so being fawns/buttons, you betcha. Do you include the BB's in your antlerless total?
Refigure your numbers and get that info to me, OK?

You don't figure them buttons as does in your b/d ratio, do you?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone know of any Xbow organizations I can get my family and friends to join let me know.
Just by the very nature of the thing, I think you'd have a very hard time finding one.
That is just my opinion though.

Quick Reply: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.