Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA >

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Spike

Default RE: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

I guess the reality is that the PGC is gonna do whatever they do in regards to the widespread use of crossbows and we'll have to live with it one way or the other. If that means "if you can't beat em', join em" to some than so be it. If it means come on here and argue through 27 pages of post......so be it.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

Can we agree though that the bow hunters get the best chances for the largest bucks... First pick you can say and that the majority of big bucks are taken by bow hunters during early season? Why shouldn't the average joe who wants to hunt early season use a weapon simulair to a bow but easier to use? Only different from an Xbow and a reg one is the draw is held back. Everything else is the same as far as I can see.

sammy,welcome,add to your list SCOPE,thats a big advantage vrs compound bow.

if we had lots of deer,i believe that crossbow would be welcome by the TRUE compound shooter.

it all comes down to this, crossbow WILL put more hunters in woods and reduce the deer herd down from what it is now in archery.

so, guys/gals that can shoot a compound are not going to be in favor of having more hunters in woods after that buck that they had to themselves.

i feel same way even tho i like the crossbow very much and the people on crossbow forum are top notch and like crossbow a lot,they are fun to shoot.

i believe the crossbow may be legal for all in state soon..

then the disabled will not be as LUCKY as they were up to this time as more hunters will be in woods.

more hunters in archery WILL make bucks more NOCTURNUL,its bad enough right now ,add more hunters after LESS deer, oh my...........

my opinion. PGC has ruined hunting so far, what the heck, ruin it rest of way with crossbow hunters added to archery hunters.why not.[:-]

i agree btbowhunter, i expect to see more archery hunters with missing fingers soon,you should see guys i see sighting in their crossbows at sportsmans club with fingers on rail.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Can we agree though that the bow hunters get the best chances for the largest bucks... First pick you can say and that the majority of big bucks are taken by bow hunters during early season? Why shouldn't the average joe who wants to hunt early season use a weapon simulair to a bow but easier to use? Only different from an Xbow and a reg one is the draw is held back. Everything else is the same as far as I can see.
Yes Sammy_tat, we can partially agree that archers get FIRST chance at the largest bucks.I've always saidbelieved the mature bucks killed in buck season are often killed during the first few minutes or not at all.

I know you've probably heard this before but why not take up bowhunting yourself? Yes we do get first chance but we pay a price for it. Not in dollars. The archery hunters that get more than a random chance at the best bucks have a lot of commitment involved. We don't just walk into the archery woods and pick out the best buck to shoot. I would estimate that the average archery hunter puts in 50 times more time into his sport than the average gunner. The guys who consistently harvest mature bucks probably put in a quantity if time anually that approaches the equivalent of a regular part time job. My scouting begins in March. I plant food plots, run trail cameras, hunt sheds all through the spring and summer. I start putting up treestands in late summer and have 10+ out every year. Archers spend many long hours on stand just to see a deer and many more to get a shot. The vertical bows, even the compound require reglar if not daily practice and while not all do it year round, many do.

So, forgive me for being unsympathetic to the guy who doesnt want to make the time or expend the effort to get that same opportunity. How would you like it if your employer decided hire someone who doesnt work as hard or as long as you and has less experience than you but paid him the same wage?

Harvesting mature bucks carries a price.You are welcome to pay the price we do but I won't support making it easier for those who are unwilling to pay the price I do. Especially when it could well cost me valuable hunting time that I paid for with my efforts.
try putting up 10 stands on STATEFORESTLAND AND YOUR MOULTRIE trailcam.

they wont last week.hunting is HARDER .

i see you hunt PRIVATELAND..............
Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL SPROULMAN

more hunters in archery WILL make bucks more NOCTURNUL,its bad enough right now ,add more hunters after LESS deer, oh my...........
Isn't that what you want for increasing the deer population, Deer going noctornal?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

not in archery,thats when i hunt most.

if buck makes it thru archery, last week of rut, he should get TERMINATED the first or second morning of rifle.

if ever PGC lets you hunt deer the same time as bear, thanksgiving week, you will SEE end to deer hunting ,FOR SURE..........
Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

not in archery,thats when i hunt most.

if buck makes it thru archery, last week of rut, he should get TERMINATED the first or second morning of rifle.

if ever PGC lets you hunt deer the same time as bear, thanksgiving week, you will SEE end to deer hunting ,FOR SURE..........
I know it's bad sproul. My daughtr been hunting 2 years now this be her 3rd and we have failed to score a deer for her. In the last 2 years I have seen maybe a dozen deer total with her. 4 bucks last year but the conditions was not right for her to crack one. We seen one doe and she was running last year. That was depressing for us I have to say. This year we have seen a few more deer than last couple years while out and about. Maybe this will be the year for her to take one or 2. If not we keep trying. Now my boy is a deer magnet. He got his first buck last year and does the years before. We try not to complain much when things work against us,we keep trying is all.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:47 PM

I know you've probably heard this before but why not take up bowhunting yourself?
Yea, I was to lazy to have my string put back on when I jumped it off the cam. This was back in 94 and it sat in the closet like this since then. Now I think I tried to put it back on and failed to do so,But tomorro it will go to the shop andget it done. I shot my cousins today and it was like riding a bike. This should be in the bow forum but I am from Pa.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

this is why i suggested that only kid 12/16 can kill doe, not us .

you should have seen looks i got from hunters that were saying,SPROUL,THERE ARE NO DEER OUT THERE.
when i said above, I GOT DIRTY LOOKS.

why?they still want that meat..............

take a look at these

www.blackwidowbows.com
Old 08-15-2008, 11:20 PM

this is why i suggested that only kid 12/16 can kill doe, not us .

you should have seen looks i got from hunters that were saying,SPROUL,THERE ARE NO DEER OUT THERE.
when i said above, I GOT DIRTY LOOKS.

why?they still want that meat..............

take a look at these

www.blackwidowbows.com
I got a blackwidow from the late 70s. I have to look for it though.I think it's in the attic with my bear recurve.The bearis an old recurve still in its sheath. Never shot it. Found in an atic I was cleaning out for an elderly couple and they told me I could have it.This was 15 to 20 years ago I have to say.Forgot about them till you mentiontioned that site.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes Sammy_tat, we can partially agree that archers get FIRST chance at the largest bucks.I've always saidbelieved the mature bucks killed in buck season are often killed during the first few minutes or not at all.

I know you've probably heard this before but why not take up bowhunting yourself? Yes we do get first chance but we pay a price for it. Not in dollars. The archery hunters that get more than a random chance at the best bucks have a lot of commitment involved. We don't just walk into the archery woods and pick out the best buck to shoot. I would estimate that the average archery hunter puts in 50 times more time into his sport than the average gunner. The guys who consistently harvest mature bucks probably put in a quantity if time anually that approaches the equivalent of a regular part time job. My scouting begins in March. I plant food plots, run trail cameras, hunt sheds all through the spring and summer. I start putting up treestands in late summer and have 10+ out every year. Archers spend many long hours on stand just to see a deer and many more to get a shot. The vertical bows, even the compound require reglar if not daily practice and while not all do it year round, many do.

So, forgive me for being unsympathetic to the guy who doesnt want to make the time or expend the effort to get that same opportunity. How would you like it if your employer decided hire someone who doesnt work as hard or as long as you and has less experience than you but paid him the same wage?

Harvesting mature bucks carries a price.You are welcome to pay the price we do but I won't support making it easier for those who are unwilling to pay the price I do. Especially when it could well cost me valuable hunting time that I paid for with my efforts.
try putting up 10 stands on STATEFORESTLAND AND YOUR MOULTRIE trailcam.

they wont last week.hunting is HARDER .

i see you hunt PRIVATELAND..............
Yes Sproul, I do hunt private land. I also hunt public land as well. No I don't put out 10 treestands on public ground but I'll have 3-4 of those 10 on public ground. As for cameras, thye are pretty safe when I put them out but they arent out on public ground much past July. Private or public land, the most important component to being successful is paying your dues via time and effort.

Quick Reply: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.