Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC >

PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC

Old 09-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC

The USP wants the "shoot anything that moves" days back again. I can't believe they are going to beat themselves up again after thier last embarrasing law suit.

Do you ever have it backwards, the USP is not the brown it's down croud, they would like to save a few deer for the kid,s, they are not the ones that kill five or six deer a year and waist most os the meat!

Old 09-08-2007, 12:12 PM

Perhaps they actually believe that what they want is the best thing for Pennsylvania, but whatever the case, they are doing more to destroy the sport of hunting than PETA and HSUS could ever have hoped to do. At best they are misguided. At worst, they are tools of the anti hunting forces like PETA/HSUS. While some disgruntled hunters like what they are doing, the public at large has this perception of hunters that all they care about is having an easy time finding a deer to kill. If you think what they are doing with this lawsuit is good, I pity you and have little respect for such short sighted thinking. Please take some time to think this through. The deer herd in Pa. is not anywhere near endangered. In actual fact, it is healthier than it has been in forty years. The facts don't jive with what the USP wants. Emotions might, but they have nothing but that on their side.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lost horn

The USP wants the "shoot anything that moves" days back again. I can't believe they are going to beat themselves up again after thier last embarrasing law suit.

Do you ever have it backwards, the USP is not the brown it's down croud, they would like to save a few deer for the kid,s, they are not the ones that kill five or six deer a year and waist most os the meat!
finally someone thatmakes sense.

i too see ones in my area that hate USP because they want to kill 5 doe and USP wants this madness stopped..
they make statewments like,I HAVE A FREEZER FULL OF MEAT..

these are same people that are badmouthing the USP.
they dont care if any deer are left for us or kids when we are gone..

it has nothing to do with SCIENTIFIC MANAGEMENT,its meat in freezer thinking and greed.

everyone here in clinton ,centre, elk, cameron, potter of 2g know that doe have been overharvested...

if you had say, 2 doe and buck in your hunting area, would you go out and kill those deer off?that is what is happening..

there is NO MANAGEMENT,its kill deer and move on to another area...

we are losing hunters too because of this.ones that kill 5 doe are happy, less hunters ,more meat...

dcnr wants deer DEAD,its that simple..its biodiversity and BIG money for timber and jobs....

last year acorns went to waste,apples rotted in fields do to lack of deer...

but i am seeing lots of elk,
Old 09-09-2007, 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

it has nothing to do with SCIENTIFIC MANAGEMENT,its meat in freezer thinking and greed.

everyone here in clinton ,centre, elk, cameron, potter of 2g know that doe have been overharvested...

there is NO MANAGEMENT,its kill deer and move on to another area...

last year acorns went to waste,apples rotted in fields do to lack of deer...
Do you realize how hard it is to get a doe tag in 2G?
The PGC issues only 26,000 and it's the first unit to close every year.
They have CUT BACK from 52,000 before doe management began.
The deer move on because there is no food in an area. Not because they were overharvested. There is NO regeneration because of over browsing. The deer can't live on acorns and apples alone. The need a diverse menu and they can't get it there. I hunt MANY areas of 2G near DuBois and THERE ARE DEER where the habitat is good. Take a walk on state forrest land on Rockton Mtn. Last winter during the 2nd archery season I saw more does than I've ever seen before. I was in an area that had no acorns left..but preferred browse.
WouldYUO live in an area where you could not eat. No , I think you'd move so you wouldn't starve. SAME situation w/ deer.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

There is a potential upside to this latest display of poor judgement:

Am beginning to hear that some legislatorshave begun to realize what a snow job these same people havepulled on themover the past several months. There may wellbe some validity to that old adage, "Give someone enough rope and they'll eventuallyhang themselves wiffit."
Old 09-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

archer you are very lucky,if you have deer at rockton, i hunted there years ago,like 1985/86...

they did aerial thing there and almost all deer were on PRIVATE GROUND,if i am correct on that..

this is not what is found on stateforestland here in clinton/potter/cameron,those 3 i am very familiar with and i visit all sportsman clubs 2 times a year....

on sept 18th we are having a DCNR meeting here at bucktail area high school at 7 pm on deer situation in clinton..
i live at lock haven and hunt a lot in renovo area...

maybe you could make this meeting and hear how bad things are in CLINTON COUNTY.....

if you need directions, give me a pm...........
Old 09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Went several miles into the Sproul, below Renovo last winter. No surprise to me that deer are scarce in there. What would they ever find to eat to keep them therein good numbers?

Only deer I saw in the area while on that trip, were across the river andnot far belowthe Rt. 120 bridge.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproulman,you are not correct on that.There was a concentration of 126 dpsm in one area and it wasnear private unposted land that gets pounded as hard as any public land in this area.The vast majority of the deer in that area was not found on private land that's all locked up.Those deer were concentrated in that one area because there's a steep hollow,choked with laurel that had an overstory of mature oak.The mast crop was huge in that one areaso the deer had everything they needed and didn't have to travel.That's what happens when you have poor habitat.The habitat on Rockton mountain is some of the worst I've ever seen.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK fellows,I went and scouted that area in rockton last year.The forestland runs smack dab against posted land.The day my sons went out they pushed a few deer right onto the posted land.On the other southwester tip of that flir there was another high concentration of deer which was also against posted land.
Doug,we spotted up at greenwood this weekend and saw loads of deer where it's all posted.Didn't see a one on about 8 miles of state land.That's just the way it is.I gotta say it as I see it.
If you don't believe me about the posted land on either tip of the flir PM me for directions.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rich,there's a road at Brown springs that goes down to a camp downsteam from rt 322 on Anderson creek.That road is now gated but you can walk back.Almost all of those deer were found on the left side of that road which is all state forest land.The deer that they counted were on state forest land.That area on the right side of that road gets absolutely hammered by the residents of Rockton and very little of it is actually posted.That area was flown over in March when there's no hunting pressure.Those deer were in that area because of the food source not because they were protected by posted signs.I don't need directions because I used to live in Rockton and spent alot of time in those woods over the years.

The reason you're seeing the deer on Greenwood rd is because it's one of the few places with open fields.How much browse are you seeing along the rest of those roads that run through the state forest?The habitat in that area is absolutely pitiful.Those woods are nothing but wide open woods mixed with laurel patches.Stand on the top of the mountain where you can take a left to head toward rockton and look into those woods.At one time it was nothing to see dozens of deer in there every night.Now you don't hardly see any but there's no food,even in the areas where the light is hitting the ground.It's a wildlife desert in there.

Quick Reply: PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.