Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC >

PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC

Old 09-07-2007, 09:37 AM

Default PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC

The USP has just filed a permanent injunction in Commonwealth Court requesting the halt of antlerless deer hunting on SGL and SF land, pending scientific substantiation by the PGC to justify the need to issue 865,000 doe permits.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC

Interpretation please..what does this mean for the upcoming year?does it have any merit?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:48 AM

I'll be honest I am not real sure yet. I know they have done this before and it didn't get very far. I received this email from a PGC official earlier today and this was all that was in it. I haven't seen anything else on any other boards or the USP web site. I will let you know what I find out when it becomes available.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

They (the USP) deserve a swift kick in the arse. And hopefully this will get tossed so far out of court that they will look like fools. Well they already do.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:05 PM

Worse threat to hunting in PA to date. It won't stand but I would be pissed at such an organization trying to end hunting in PA.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

On September 7, 2007 the Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania petitioned Commonwealth Court to put a halt to all antlerless deer hunting on State Game Lands and State Forest Lands. Our request for injunctive relief demands the PA Game Commission to scientifically document and substantiate the need to further reduce our valued deer herd on public lands.

For the past six years the Game Commission and the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources have conducted an accelerated deer reduction program resulting in the harvest of more than 3 million deer. This program has been in direct contradiction to the "careful, expert and scientific" mandate required of the PA Game Commissioners who oversee Game Commission policy. The Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania believe the Game Commission has violated the law as well as abused its discretionary authority in the execution of its deer management program.

The PA Game Commission readily acknowledges they do not know how many deer exist in Pennsylvania, and have resorted to subjective and ambiguous evaluations to determine deer densities rather than sound, scientific and numerical data. Such unconventional and careless decision making has resulted in a dramatic and quite possibly an unsustainable decline of our public land deer herd. As a result of such capricious and arbitrary action, the Game Commission has been negligent in their responsibility to properly manage our state animal, the whitetail deer.

Deer hunting in Pennsylvania is a $4 billion per year industry touching the lives of millions of PA citizens. The Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania believe the present deer management policies threaten the future of deer hunting in the Commonwealth.

Gregory D. Levengood

Chairman of the Board

Unified Sportsmen of PA
Old 09-07-2007, 01:17 PM

Here is more info.

On September 7, 2007 the Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania petitioned Commonwealth Court to put a halt to all antlerless deer hunting on State Game Lands and State Forest Lands. Our request for injunctive relief demands the PA Game Commission to scientifically document and substantiate the need to further reduce our valued deer herd on public lands.

For the past six years the Game Commission and the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources have conducted an accelerated deer reduction program resulting in the harvest of more than 3 million deer. This program has been in direct contradiction to the "careful, expert and scientific" mandate required of the PA Game Commissioners who oversee Game Commission policy. The Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania believe the Game Commission has violated the law as well as abused its discretionary authority in the execution of its deer management program.

The PA Game Commission readily acknowledges they do not know how many deer exist in Pennsylvania, and have resorted to subjective and ambiguous evaluations to determine deer densities rather than sound, scientific and numerical data. Such unconventional and careless decision making has resulted in a dramatic and quite possibly an unsustainable decline of our public land deer herd. As a result of such capricious and arbitrary action, the Game Commission has been negligent in their responsibility to properly manage our state animal, the whitetail deer.

Deer hunting in Pennsylvania is a $4 billion per year industry touching the lives of millions of PA citizens. The Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania believe the present deer management policies threaten the future of deer hunting in the Commonwealth.

Gregory D. Levengood
Chairman of the Board
Unified Sportsmen of PA
Old 09-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

USP now has elevated themselves to the same rank as PETA on my enemies list.

I think most of us regarded much the same as we would a wacky cousin but they have now declared war on the sportsmen of PA in their zeal to accomplish their misguided mission.

The USP is to sportsmen as what Arlen Specter is to the republican party.... twisted traitors!

There is no doubt they will eventually wither away but how much permanent damage will be done before then?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 PM

I would like to see what Scientific evidence the USP has that warrants such an extreme action. I want to hear from THEIR deer biologists.

The PGC, (as well as many many other states) use one of several sound , scientific methods to estimate the deer herd. You can't count each one.
It doesn't take an idiot to see that the forests of PA have yet to rebound in many areas from the over browsing damage done by the excess deer of years past.

The USP wants the "shoot anything that moves" days back again. I can't believe they are going to beat themselves up again after thier last embarrasing law suit.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:12 AM

Here is some news that is very similar and seems to have the same aim. Perhaps PETA will join USP and file a "friend of the court" brief in support of USP?

Anti's Seek Court Order to Stop Bowhunt
USSA offers legal expertise to county

September 7, 2007 (Pennsylvania)

A lawsuit has been brought in Pennsylvania that could allow animal activists to prohibit hunting on properties that are left to the government as charitable trusts.

Three anti-hunters recently filed suit seeking to overturn a decision to permit archery hunting on a portion of the Trexler Game Preserve in Lehigh County. The county entered into a cooperative agreement with the state that will allow archery deer and turkey hunting, beginning on Sept. 29, on 471 acres of the 1,100-acre preserve.

Plaintiffs Virginia Wolfe, president of the Lehigh Valley Animal Rights Coalition; Shawn Hubler; and Carol Loomis claim hunting runs contrary to the intent of the late Gen. Harry Trexler, who deeded to property to the county in 1933. The women are not affiliated with the Harry C. Trexler Trust, but have nonetheless asked a judge to stop the hunt until a hearing is held on whether the plan violates his will.

Jane Roth, executive director of the Harry C. Trexler Trust, said the trust does not take issue with the plan.

County officials will be asking a judge to rule that the women have no right to bring suit. None of them have any connection to the Trexler trust, nor can they prove their claim that the late General Trexler, who died more than 70 years ago, would not have approved of the hunt.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation will offer legal experts to Lehigh County on this issue.

Quick Reply: PA News - USP Files Permanent Injunction against PGC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.