Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA GUN REGISTRATION PROPOSED >

PA GUN REGISTRATION PROPOSED

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA GUN REGISTRATION PROPOSED

Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 PM

Default RE: PA GUN REGISTRATION PROPOSED

A friend of mine e-mailed me today about the Bill in question.
He has regular contact w/ an attorney in the Philly area. This attorney is acquainted w/ the people that proposed the Bill. They are political nobodies that are trying to get noticed.
He stated that there has been a loud clammer by sportsmen all over the state in response to the bill and it has almost no chance of being passed. The enforcement of the bill would be in question due to the large number of guns that exist, and the police don't want to go door to door looking for unregistered weapons.

It would seem our efforts , even though seemingly small , have made an impact. It was a snowball effect to be sure.

Keep up the good work, and don't let up.

By the way...I will ALWAYS make you guys aware of any proposed bill such as this.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Spike

Anyone from the Philly area, this may interetst you and we can use the show of support, The Philadelphia Hunting and Shooting Association, (PHASA) will be sponsoring a BUS TRIP to our State's capitol in Harrisburg.On Tuesday, 4/24/2007.
The bus will leave from 1532 S. Front St., Philadelphia PA.19147 ( on Front street between Dickinson St and Tasker St) at 7:30AM. Refreshments and lunch will be provided. The cost is $20.00 per person.

Please come out and show our Legislators that Philadelphia Sportsmen support the Second Amendment!!

For futher info Contact PHASA @ [email protected]

Thank You
Old 04-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info, archer58. It's good to know that our efforts may have reaped some benefit. It also just goes to show that a little effort by some can be multipled by others joining the effort. We have made ourselves known. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that this thing dies a quick death. Keep vigilant.................
Old 04-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Spike

I have signed the petition and just wrote my local rep to oppose this bill...
Old 04-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just read this evening's local paper. It carried an article about HB 760 and the tremendous amount of opposition the Representatives and Senators were receiving from PA. residents in it's regard.
"Lawmakers say the influx ofcalls, letters and e-mails in protest has been overwhelming."
"Four of the five Democratic lawmakers from Pittsburgh or Philadelphia area who originally signed on as co-sponsors have since announced they are pulling their support".
Rep. Jake Wheatley, D-Allegheney,who became a sponsor before reading the entire bill later determined the bill was "extreme" and wants to have his name taken off the bill.
All I can say about this is congratulations to those who took the time to try and make a difference. Your calls, letters and e-mails have once again proven that although sometimes flawed, the "system" still can work. We must be ever vigilant and keep the pressure up when it is needed.
Although this bill is seemingly dead, we will continue to keep our eyes and ears "out there".
Thanks again, one and all.........................
Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 PM

Old 04-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

that's totally awesome ,
Old 04-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Host of Hosts

Still have to keep up the pressure. I won't believe anything has changed until it's over and done with. Too much spin out there to set back and relax just yet.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're absolutely right, Trykon..... We can't let up, even for a moment. We need to be ever vigilant and watchful. I do be lieve that we, as a body, meaning all those who put some pressure on our Legislators, were entirely responsible for their replies in our favor. Don't ever feel that our voices don't mean something.
Although the bill is not toally dead YET, we are the ones who prompted it's sudden "review" by those who had signed on to it. WE caused the action........
Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 PM

I wrote the following article to illuminate this issue and spur proactive response to this legislation. Many of the actions that I hear suggested will be very effective to combat HB #760. However, we must go past defeating isues like this and rally legislators to enatct laws that proactively cement our rights into law and preclude any future laws like HB# 760. I try to distribute it as widely as possible, and would like to hear about any organized efforts from sprotsmen groups to turn the tide. If it takes a constitutional convention in PA, then so be it.
[/b]
A Call to Arms, That Arms May be Called
House Bill #760, which forces all citizens to pay an annual registration fee for each and every firearm they own, is an affront to the constitutions of both Pennsylvania and the United States. Any legislator who would support such a bill, should be removed from office with all due haste and by any legal means possible. The response to any such proposed legislation should be swift and sure in order to thwart this and all future draconian infringements upon the rights of the citizenry. If not answered, such attacks will gain a foothold through repetition and rationalization so that the incremental erosion of personal freedom will go unnoticed by general society.

House Bill #760 should serve as a clarion call to all concerned citizens to take actions which will reaffirm our rights and cement our freedoms as intended by our forefathers. The public should contact their representatives, not to oppose this absurd monstrosity, but instead to put forth counter-legislation that will serve to preclude similar assaults on the constitutions going forward. The silent majority must gain its voice and rise to defend this singular issue. The majority of Pennsylvania legislators give testament to their support of the public’s rights to bear arms. It is now the hour to provide these politicians the means to fulfill their assurances. This issue needs to become a litmus test until it is accomplished. If your legislator will not take action, replace him, regardless of political party. If neither candidate in a race supports this cause, then run for public office yourself. The alarm has been sounded. It is time to respond.

To illustrate the stupidity of Bill #760, let’s look at recent history. Forcing folks to pay a fee in order to exercise their rights has been done before. A “poll tax” use to be prevalent in many parts of the country. By charging individuals a fee in order to vote, the government prevented the poor and minorities from exercising a key and fundamental right. The arguments back then, just as now, were draped in tyrant’s logic. The measures were “reasonable” and “necessary”, but they served a hidden agenda. Today, law abiding citizens fear that same subterfuge. The goal of such legislation is an attack on gun ownership. Anti-gunners perpetuate the ruse that their efforts are to combat crime, but their logic is flawed. Gun control doesn’t work. If criminals ignore the plethora of laws already on the books, what makes anyone think that one more, or ten more, or fifty more laws would deter them. If the issue is crime prevention, then examine which measures do, or do not, work and then act accordingly. Stiffer penalties? Yes! More police? Yes, Yes! Useless restrictions on law-abiding citizens? No! No! No!

Bill Harlan
Camp Hill, PA