Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Anybody heard an update on opening rifle in Steuben County (NY) >

Anybody heard an update on opening rifle in Steuben County (NY)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Anybody heard an update on opening rifle in Steuben County (NY)

Old 01-17-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Anybody heard an update on opening rifle in Steuben County (NY)

I know that they are suppose to vote on this sometime soon, just curious if anyone has heard?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anybody heard an update on opening rifle in Steuben County (NY)

The bill number is S00858 and you can check it online. As of 1-11-07 it had been sent to the enviormental conservation committe for review. It has already passed the Senate.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

JMO but for your sake I hope it doesn't pass. You look at areas in the state that hold a good amount of big deer and they are all in shotgun areas. you start shooting deer with rifles at the distances that a rifle can shoot and your big bucks will be in trouble.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion, if you are going to use a rifle you should need a special stamp. And in order to get that stamp you should have to complete a saftey course with the rifle. There's a big difference between a shotgun and a rifle and my fear is that alot of hunter's who are careless with a shotgun are going to be even more dangerous with a rifle []
Old 01-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmm... Funny... We just finished the second season in which MOST of the southern tier counties that used to be shotgun/pistol/ml have been legal rifle counties, and they have been two of the safest seasons in history, regarding hunting accidents..

Unsafe hunters are unsafe hunters regardless of what implement they use...Having done both, I'd much rather be in the woods with most hunters using scope sighted rifles than to have a bunch of yahoos spraying shotgun slugs around in five shot bursts..Most hunting accidents occur at ranges of less than 100 yards, be they rifle or shotgun...

The long range," bullet out of the blue" accident that the naysayers like to talk about happens so rarely that you may as well regard it as an act of God or a lightning strike...