Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

steuben county

Old 11-13-2005, 02:11 AM
Spike

Default steuben county

anyone live or hunt near curtis hollow or familiar with Tombs farm, Kings or Drums ? thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: steuben county

Years ago I used to go through Drums and cross the trackson the Balcolm rd and hunt in the woods past the fields. I think they have that blocked now. I know the Drums and Tombs farm. I've heard of Kings but don't know the farm. I know they lease land bordering the state land on Smith hill. Used to hunt that alot. Both the state land and the land Kings lease. Used to belong to Eddie Clark. Eddie of course has been gone along time now. His house burned to the ground and the gravel pit took up just about all of his fields behind his house. But I'm rambling...
Old 11-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Spike

thanks for the reply sylvan. if you knew eddie clark maybe you know my grandfather as well - bob tombs. i grew up hunting with him upon the hill behind the farm and i heading back home this week (live in st. louis now) anyway, i was told all that land is leased now and theres nowhere to hunt. i just want to get in the woods as close to home as possible, will go upto the state land if i have to. when did eddie pass and the house burn? his was the geen house correct?you know anything about an old foundation on the top of the hill behind the stone quarry? email me if you want [email protected]thanks again
Old 11-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hello Willie,
[/align] I didn't know your gradfather but my uncle did. He grew up in Coopers Plains in the 1920's and 30's. My grandfather and great grandfather grew up in Campbell. Anyway, as far as I know, the land behind Tombs is either leased or owned by a logging outfit called Cotton and Handlin (probably not the right spelling) and they allow hunting on it. A friend of mine hunts on it but he accesses it from the Beaman Hollow road. With regard to the old stone foundation, the family that lived their back in the 30's name is Potter. A fellow by the name of Elmer Potter grew up there and is still alive and lives I believe on Seneca Lake. And yes Eddie's house was green. If you haven't been by there in a long time you proabably won't recognize the location. If you remember the house was on the left just before you went up over the tracks headed toward campbell. There is a large pond now that goes right up to what would have been his back door. If I remember correctly he died about 10 years ago and the house burned a couple years later. Everything changes.
[/align]
Old 11-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Spike

yeah, it's been almost 10 years. hadalot ofgood days in the pines by that foundation and always wondered about the family that lived there. used to run into an older fellow in the woods about once a year named elton. does that name sound familiar? think he was a bow hunter too.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmm...I'm from Steuben County. I don't know about Curtis Hollow...but I know of a Kings property right up the road from me in Pulteney, I know of a Drumm farm in Pulteney near the Yates County line and I also know of a Tombs farm just over the line into Yates county in the Branchport / Jerusulem area. Are any of these the ones that you're referring too?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Spike

no, the area i'm taking about is just a couple miles west of coopers plains and the erwin state land. probably some relatives though. thanks for all your posts wny, i always read them and makes me feel like im home when im not.