Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New York Antler Restrictions State Wide? >

New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 AM
jf5

Default RE: New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

ORIGINAL: doctariAFC

ORIGINAL: jf5

For the guys against AR's...do you guys think NY should do away with the current AR of 3" spikes??
No, because this has a direct and biologically beneficial reason behind it. To identify whether you're target is a male or a female, and this was implemented because 3" should be visible, where smaller antlers or buttons may not be. THis was in place to assure herd growth/ restoration as this AR identifies male vs female, and the females are the obvious source of new fawns, new recruits.

That's an AR with a biological benefit to the herd. It is in place to help protect the Does. Hope that helps.
Off course I understand its to protect does. But it easy to use the same argumentsthat are against AR against this. Why does a 2" spike get to walk. Its a male deer right??

Old 01-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Spike

No, its an antlerless deer according to the NY State "Antler Restrictions".
Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: doctariAFC

For the guys against AR's...do you guys think NY should do away with the current AR of 3" spikes??
No, because this has a direct and biologically beneficial reason behind it. To identify whether you're target is a male or a female, and this was implemented because 3" should be visible, where smaller antlers or buttons may not be. THis was in place to assure herd growth/ restoration as this AR identifies male vs female, and the females are the obvious source of new fawns, new recruits.

That's an AR with a biological benefit to the herd. It is in place to help protect the Does. Hope that helps.
Off course I understand its to protect does. But it easy to use the same argumentsthat are against AR against this. Why does a 2" spike get to walk. Its a male deer right??

Because, eons ago, it was agreed upon by hunters and biologists that you are more likely to see 3" antlers than you are 2" antlers. Its about identifying your target's sex, not indicative of its actual sex, if that makes sense. The idea was to assurethat the herds would grow. 2" is also not tall enough to stickup past perked ears. 3" is. Goes back to the early days of hunting seasons, before all of us.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

ORIGINAL: BigJohn H

I have seen several deer taken that had rack of 4 points or less this year, what a waste.
That is just the type of "trophy hunting" jargon that puts people off to ARs. Why is my 4 point a waste when it is legally and ethically harvested? And why is it a waste when it is in my freezer? Why is it a waste when I have an excellent day in the woods or times at hunting camp, maybe with family or friends. Who are you or anyone to tell me what is a waste. I am not totally against or for some type of "antler restriction", but that type of statement makes me lean toward the against side of the debate.
Your 4 point is a waste because you took a buck that most likely was a yr or 2 old taking out a deer in his youth when you should have been looking for one that was over the hill, if filling your freezer is all you have in mind then why not let the small buck walk and take a doe? The fact is when you kill the young bucks you are depleteing the gene pool which weakens the herds chances of survival. It is up to us as hunters to protect the herd as well as fill our freezers, when you take a buck that is past his prime you strengthen the herd. Talk to any biologist and they will tell you the same thing. So go ahead and fill your freezer with does and let the young bucks go.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:41 PM

My apologies if someone has brought this up already but wouldnt shortening & moving the gun seasonback be a better way tohelp bucks make it an exrtayear or two? Im no biologist but other states W/ a 1 buck/ year rule & a short (shot)gun season seem to produce bigger/older deer on average than states w/ ARs .
Old 01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

if filling your freezer is all you have in mind then why not let the small buck walk and take a doe
What if you are in an area that has no doe permits? Several WMU's had few if any.

[quote][The fact is when you kill the young bucks you are depleteing the gene pool which weakens the herds chances of survival./quote]

Please show your source for this. Does carry genes also. And a buck "past his prime" has no different genes then when he was young.

Talk to any biologist and they will tell you the same thing
Can you give us the contact info forthe onegiving you your info?

Steve

Old 01-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My apologies if someone has brought this up already but wouldnt shortening & moving the gun seasonback be a better way tohelp bucks make it an exrtayear or two? Im no biologist but other states W/ a 1 buck/ year rule & a short (shot)gun season seem to produce bigger/older deer on average than states w/ ARs .
It would have an effect.
Now try to sell it to the 60% plusof the gun only big game licence purchasers.
Good luck

Steve
Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Steve it is a genetic fact, the older an animal gets the weaker their genes become and yes this means both sexes. If older bucks are allowed to breed beyond 4.5 years it is bad for the herd.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's contrary to everything I have ever heard - please show me some support.

Steve
Old 01-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

I didn`t shoot at a few small bucks and didn`t have a doe permit and went without a deer this yr no deer meat for me and my family. Next yr I will shoot the 4 or 3 pointer.

Quick Reply: New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.