HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?
Old 01-18-2007, 03:02 PM
BigJohn H

Default RE: New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

ORIGINAL: BigJohn H

I have seen several deer taken that had rack of 4 points or less this year, what a waste.
That is just the type of "trophy hunting" jargon that puts people off to ARs. Why is my 4 point a waste when it is legally and ethically harvested? And why is it a waste when it is in my freezer? Why is it a waste when I have an excellent day in the woods or times at hunting camp, maybe with family or friends. Who are you or anyone to tell me what is a waste. I am not totally against or for some type of "antler restriction", but that type of statement makes me lean toward the against side of the debate.
Your 4 point is a waste because you took a buck that most likely was a yr or 2 old taking out a deer in his youth when you should have been looking for one that was over the hill, if filling your freezer is all you have in mind then why not let the small buck walk and take a doe? The fact is when you kill the young bucks you are depleteing the gene pool which weakens the herds chances of survival. It is up to us as hunters to protect the herd as well as fill our freezers, when you take a buck that is past his prime you strengthen the herd. Talk to any biologist and they will tell you the same thing. So go ahead and fill your freezer with does and let the young bucks go.