Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Possible Mt lion track >

Possible Mt lion track

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Possible Mt lion track

Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Possible Mt lion track

ORIGINAL: NorthPA

"Adult males may be more than 8 feet long from nose to end of tail and generally weigh between 130 and 150 pounds. Adult females can be 7 feet long and weigh between 65 and 90 pounds."
"A single male lion may require up to 175 square miles of territory for its home range. They prefer wild areas frequented by deer. One lion will consume about one deer per week. A lion will cover the remains of its prey and return to the kill to feed until the meat begins to turn.
They are most active at dawn and dusk, the times when deer are out feeding."

Seems as though dusk and dawn are when most hunters are in the woods in deer habitat --- same time as cougars would be out and about!

How many cougar kills have been found by hunters? And, how many have seen cougars return to feed for several days on a single deer kill?
If people are seeing cougars, why aren't they seeing any of the sign that proves cougars are there; skat, hair, provable tracks, kills, dens, good photos, on and on.
I'd never say there isn't any, I'd just say --- show me.

It's also funny that most stories are verifed by a preacher or some other unquestionable religious person!
Close to here, in Mehoopany, PA there supposedly was a truck delivering cougars that stopped at a diner to ask directions to the PGC field office.
Who did the driver ask directions from; A preacher, who would never lie.

In Laporte twp., PA two couples witnessed (at 3 a.m.) a WCO, and two men releasing a pair of cougars along rte. 220 near a place called Panther Lick. (that is a real place).
Who were those two couples? A minister and his wife, and another church couple returning from a religous retreat near State College.

Amen brother.
can a religious person lie, YES..i only made this info available because this person is HUNTER like us, he does not lie, grew up with him..

he is good person that happens to go church a lot more than me..does this make him saint, no..

but ,you are right, i was trying to make the case for a lion by saying he would not LIE, CHEAT, SWEAR ETC..

does that mean he is lieing now, i doubt that after knowing him for 50 years..

why would he lie?does it make him famous that he saw a lion?

now, i do notlie but have told a few woppers in past.. i saw cougar,am i lieing?did i not know what i saw?

i agree with you, just because a person is pillar of community does not mean he is not fibbing or saw what he thought he did..

as for why we cant find tracks, 1 reason is the PGC will not investigate a sighting and take prints..

other is,most of sighting are in SUMMER/FALL..you tell me why, hell, i dont know..

next is, sighting are usually spread many years apart..only thing i can think of is cougars are on move..

i dont know, just guess..if they stayed in a area steady, you would see more sighting..you would think..so, only answer is they move a lot ,come back, move again..only guess..
Old 01-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Guys, you can be skeptical all you want. I really don't care if you do believe me of if you don't. The fact of the matter is, that I know my animals and I know what I saw. I've killed two bobcats now. One while archery hunting and one while fox hunting both in WV. Saw them both up close and personal. What I saw a few years ago in the mountains of Fayette county PA was not a bobcat. Unless of course they stand about 2.5 feet at the shoulder and have a 3ft or so tail........last I checked Bobcats have short little stubby tails. So my question to you is, what else could it be? Big cat, long thick tail. Sighting distance of about 50 yards right at dawn. I was scouting turkeys and was in full camo sitting still. It never saw me and Im thankful that it didn't. It walked right through the open field. I didn't have a camera but would have had a hard time taking its picture because of how fats it moved. Needless to say I changed my mind about turkey hunting that particular area.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think the original question is about a faded out track and the possability that it maybe a Mt. Lion track. I do not think that a faded out track proves anything as a bobcat, a lynx, or a possible Mt. Lion could of made it. We are supposed to get snow up this way and maybe you folks have some snow now? If so why not go looking for a good track and get a picture for all of us to see? Then maybe a good conclusion could be made. But, face it a faded out track doesn't hold anything credable here.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

to bad you never saw cougar in pa..maybe if you get out in woods more and really see what is going on,you MIGHT have different opinion..

the only thing i agree with what you said is, there does not seem to be tracks in snow here in winter other than the one they took in centre county by a cougar expert recently..

maybe there is not many cougars and they roam a lot, i dont know..

i do know that most of sighting are in fall..maybe this is because more hunters are in woods..

someone said, why are they not seeing cougar in deer season in morning..maybe they are?

if cougar is as elusive as some say on here, maybe they are not roaming as much in daylight when lots of hunters are in woods..

when woods calm down maybe they roam more in daylight, i dont know only offering opinion..

i can say this,MOST OF SIGHTING ARE IN FALL..now, use your smarty pats comments to tear that opinion down..
Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't track the sightings so I have no idea when most hallucinations occur.

Ispend more time in the woods than most.That's why I have no reason to complain about low deer sightings.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

I don't track the sightings so I have no idea when most hallucinations occur.

Ispend more time in the woods than most.That's why I have no reason to complain about low deer sightings.
i come to conclusion that you have your AGENDA..no use trying to convince you of anything..

i will go on record as saying this, cougars do exist here in pa..that many people cant be liers..
Old 01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

What could my agenda be?You talk about all of these mountain lion sightings but no one ever produces a body,credible picture,hair sample or scat sample.You claim most of the sightings are in the fall when the ground is dry but they disapear during the winter when credible evidence can prove the theory one way or the other.What happens to them in the winter?Do they head to Florida?

I don't doubt that some wacho or group of wackos could let one lose from time to time but that's a far cry from a breeding population.It's also a far cry from the USP's position that they're having a huge impact on our deer herd.Just show me one confirmed carcus that was consumed by a mountain lion.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

What could my agenda be?You talk about all of these mountain lion sightings but no one ever produces a body,credible picture,hair sample or scat sample.You claim most of the sightings are in the fall when the ground is dry but they disapear during the winter when credible evidence can prove the theory one way or the other.What happens to them in the winter?Do they head to Florida?

I don't doubt that some wacho or group of wackos could let one lose from time to time but that's a far cry from a breeding population.It's also a far cry from the USP's position that they're having a huge impact on our deer herd.Just show me one confirmed carcus that was consumed by a mountain lion.
tracks MAY be there in winter, i dont see any but most are not out in winter,like me..the areas i am in, no sighting ever..

most may not even know what cougar track looks like, even me..

maybe someone could post a picture of a small cougar track, this may help some, like me and others to report it..

as for what is happening to cougars in winter, if no tracks and sighting are being seen in area that had sighting, the only conclusioni have is, cougar LEFT..

does winters here move cougars to warmer states?or colder states?hell, i dont know what happens to them if tracks are not seen in snow..

i cant argue why more is not shown but if the PGC does not want to come out and take print ,then i guess they are not intertested..

i do believe that people that are seeing a cougar, really did see one..yes, some are bobcats but when you hear a person saw he saw 2 or 3 ft tail on cat, thats ,no bobcat..
Old 01-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my best friends swears he saw a mountain lions 2 years ago.It bothered him so much,he only told me and one other person.This guy hunts in about 4 states each yearbut that would hardly make him a cougar expert.Do I think he's lying?No way.I definately think he believes he saw one like most people do but I highly doubt it was a mountain lion.

Sproul,Like I said.It's possible a few have been released by wackos or people that could no longer handle them.No one said that couldn't be the case.However,there's just no credible evidence that they're out there.All we have is a bunch of people saying they saw something that they probably never saw at any time other than on TV or in a book.Look at all the black sightings each year.That animal doesn't even exist except for insoutheast Asia.Yet,dozens of people see them every year.Are they credible?No way.Look at all the bobcat pictures that have been posted all over the internet.People argued for weeks that they were looking at a mountain lion when the picture clearly showed a bobcat.How can there be so many credible sightings without one piece of solid scientific evidence?Just like the coyote stocking stories,all we have is a bunch or urban legends and conspiracy theories without one shred of proof.Three years ago I hunted in an area of Colorado that had a high mountain lion population.The guys I hunted withlived there all their lives thereand make a living by spending most of their time in the wilderness.In all those years,they've seen one mountain lion.How can three people live in an area with alot of mountain lions and hardly ever see one but all the people you know in clinton county have seen one and many have seen them more than once.Worse yet,they only see them during the fall when no evidence can be gathered.Somehow they disappear during the winter.They have to go somewhere and I imagine they'd leave tracks there,so what gives?Do Pa mountain lions hibernate?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:53 PM

Good evening. Unapproved use by "Neville" of a message related to mtn lions in PA that I sent to outdoor writer and radio host Jim Slinsky outside of HuntingNet and many months ago has caused some confusion. While I am flattered that Neville felt the material was worthwhile to reproduce and share with this Forum, I regret the message was not more clearly characterized by him at the time. Please also note that I erred in that message, mistakenly assuming Jim Slinsky had written about a particular case with which I was familiar involving a sighting report of a purported cougar killing a deer in PA. He did write in one of his newspaper columns about a sighting report, but it was not the same oneI thought it was.In later messages he and I clarified things. The case I knew of---and referred to in the Neville message that appeared in this string above---actually involved a state employee who watched what he felt was a mtn lion attack and kill a smallwhitetail buck. However, evidence at the scene, includingmatching the canine teeth (fangs) of a male bobcat skull with the puncture marks on the deer's neck, as well as documentation of bobcat tracks in the area of the attack, incriminated a bobcat.
Feel free to contact me if you need further information:
Dr. Jay Tischendorf DVM
Great Falls, Montana USA
[email protected]

Quick Reply: Possible Mt lion track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.