Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 SKUNKED..  first time ever in NY >

SKUNKED.. first time ever in NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

SKUNKED.. first time ever in NY

Old 12-11-2006, 06:09 AM

Default SKUNKED.. first time ever in NY

I am 31 and have been hunting since I was allowed legally by NY law (16) at the time I think...

anyway, I have been shut out... skunked if you will. I can honestly say that I saw 1 deer the entire season. This combines late season regular bow and rifle. I am going to hunt with the muzzleloader so wish me luck.

this is the first time I have seen 0 deer in a season. it is near depressing and I am considering not renewing my NY hunting license for NY state next season and putting that money towards a connecticut archery tag and possibly a PA out of state license. I am sick of handing my money to NY just to watch the DEC make terrible decisions. I actually think they believe the BUCKS HAVE BABIES.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 AM

Default RE: SKUNKED.. first time ever in NY

Salty, don't give up. I know how you feel, but this is only my third year and I finally was able to harvest a buck. I'mparticipating ona discussion on another post discussing the one buck rule, or any suggestions that you or someone may have as to ways we can improve the issue. Some feel there is no issue in NY, others see differently. Do you hunt private or public land, how much time do you spend afield and do you only hunt in Marlboro? Thanks, Rod.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny, this was the best year I have ever had in NY.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:00 AM

I need to update my profile. I live in Hurley now. I hunt all private land. There is state land across the street but it is not hunted because it is landlocked behind posted property. My neighbor is nice enough to let me cross his land to get to it but it seems like a waste of a trip every time I go.. it is VERY STEEP
Old 12-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hunting 23yrs. 20 of them with a bow. I've been skunked 3 times over the yrs. I was skunked last yr, and hunted harder than I ever had. I wasn't too pleased then or the other 2yrs. But never would I consider giving up, and going to another state. Every yr I was skunked I came back & harvested 2 deer the following yr. This yr was the oddest yr I ever seen. Archery season was good to me. I took a doe early on in the North. Then took my biggest buck ever in the south w/ bow. Come Reg. seasons both North & South I didn't see squat.1 doe up North w/rifle, and nothing until this past wknd in South. Very odd year.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 AM
jf5

Sorry you got skunked, but it haapens. Come and hunt New England...

Look at the PA threads. Seems many are not happy with less deer than they are used to. If so, why go there rather than some new areas in NY??

Just a thought...
Old 12-11-2006, 04:24 PM

You sound like me last season. I hunted hard last season and can count how many deer I saw on one hand. Needless to say I had no venison in the freezer. Don't give up. I had a great season this year and still have ML to go. I find hunting to be kind of like golf. You swing and swing and swear that you will never pick up the clubs again. Then you get that one 'sweet' hit and you are addicted again. I was pretty down last season, and it took me a bit of time to get pumped up this season, but once I started seeing deer it was kind of like feeling that 'click' of a well hit golf ball!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Salty 38 yrs old first skunk in all my yrs since I was 16 as well not even a doe 45-50 hours on stand no deer shortage in western new york, yea right. Same for six of the ten guys I'm buds with that hunt worst season ever
Old 12-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

this season was alot better than last season, as far as seeing deer. I did get a buck last year, and failed to put one in the freezer this year. I thinkt he population is on the rise, and wouldn't give up jsut yet. its all in where you hunt. the problem is we have 2 zones, and a handfull of WMUs, but within one unit you can have areas with tons of deer, and areas with barely any deer, and these areas are under the same regulations. Im not saying there is a better way, but it does cause problems like this.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: matt068

Salty 38 yrs old first skunk in all my yrs since I was 16 as well not even a doe 45-50 hours on stand no deer shortage in western new york, yea right. Same for six of the ten guys I'm buds with that hunt worst season ever
Maybe its time for new areas?? Just a thought. I have seen good spots come and go...