Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Is there any deer left in NY >

Is there any deer left in NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Is there any deer left in NY

Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is there any deer left in NY

I'd have to agree that deer numbers are down based on personal observation. I've noticed a dramatic decline in population numbers in the area I hunt over the last 3-5 years. Can't really blame it on the harsh winters anymore (not around here anyway). We've had some of the mildest winters I can remember in recent years. I attribute it to the gaggles of DMP permits that have been handed out up untill this year. Seems like the DEC wanted a lot of deer dead in a short amount of time. I think they accomplished their goal. I'm not sure of the exact numbers or don't have any scientific data to back up what I believe. What I can say for sure is it's definitely a LOT different in my neck of the woods. Just makes it more of a challenge is all
Old 12-05-2006, 03:49 PM

I've seen more deer this year then last year, but I contribute the increase due to the addition of my brassica food plots. I saw plenty of deer during bow season, 3 nice 6 pointers, 1-8 and 1-10 and a few 4's and spikes along with many does. The day after rifle opening day, all the bucks "disappeared" and just saw does. By Wednesday, a neighbor had his entire family and friends doing drives "ALL" day long for 3 days, and guess what. I saw no deer for two days before I had to head home. Not sure if they shot them, but sure plenty just bedded down. Going up for muzzle/Archery on 12/11, hope the deer are back since it seems not too many people do archery or muzzle shooting in my area. Again I hope on both accounts.

Good point on if your not seeing deer, let the does and 6 pointers down go to live another year. Have one bad year rather then an ongoing issue. JIMO.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:58 AM

I am hunting in Tioga county and I have seen more deer this gun season than ever before. I shot two opening day and am now impatiantly waiting on muzzleloader season.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Spike

I hunt all over NY. We did very well opening weekend in Tioga/Tompkins and saw more deer than in the past severalopeners.ADK(Essex Cty) wasfantastic this year for big bucks (check out www.adkhunter.com). Catt County is as good as ever. Steubenis loaded with bear.However, fishing and hunting always has its ups anddowns, both personally and region to region. Overall, NY is a great hunting state andthe DECisdoing a good job protecting our huntingrights and providing opportunities in the way of seaons, tags, land etc. Enjoy itand stay positive.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Overall, NY is a great hunting state andthe DECisdoing a good job protecting our huntingrights and providing opportunities in the way of seaons, tags, land etc. Enjoy itand stay positive.
[singing] I... love New York! [/singing] Your're absolutely right!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

I have again figured out in the last week I have hunted a total of 36 hours. In 3 different spots that have always produced deer. The soybean field usually is like shooting fish in a barrel not 1 deer in approx 12 hours. I have also hunted some mixed hard woods about 100 yds from bedding area Wind has been perfect. Saw a flash of 2 tails leaving stand at dark. My other honey hole believe it or not is about 300 yards from the back of my house. Killed many deer in the past usually in the AM not one deer not 1 track in the snow. I would stalk more but I have MS and sometimes getting to the stand is hard enough. Someguys that hunt other end of property said they saw one small buck and passed him up. I have put my time in and am not a rookie you cant tell me deer numbers are not down even with the snow we have no movement come on I personally think too many doe permits the last 5 yrs has taken its toll just my opinion if any body cares. GOOD LUCK AND SAFE HUNTING
Old 12-08-2006, 01:28 PM

This was one bad season for hunting
Old 12-08-2006, 03:54 PM

Pitiful, just pitiful!!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

yeah there are deer, i have about 7 acres of land and there are 2 does, 2 or 3 fawns, a spike buck and i beleive a 5 point buck.

after the bow season is over there will be one less deer though
Old 12-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The warm weather really shuts down deer movement - and hides more deer. We have Cam pics of over 30 different bucks on 200 acres since summer - and only taken 3!

I'm still getting good pictures at night (not as many on my property as before) - They tend to hang out where they aren't hunted (imagine that!).

LOTS of deer in my neck of the woods Still.

FH